Thread: Hi-Lift Tube Mount Review

Hi-Lift Tube Mount Review

As some of you know, Hi-Lift was one of our sponsors for the Pismo Jamboree. They gave us some great demo products to use and display. One of the items was their Adjustable Tube Mount for 1"-2" square or round tube. We had it displayed at the Jambo, but I'm not sure if anyone really looked at it since it was still in the package. Next year it will be displayed on a rig.

After looking at it, I realized that it would probably work on my thule bars on my 4runner. I decided that I should test it out and do a gear review on it. Install is pretty simple and took me less than 5 minutes (including trying to find the right size wrench). Depending on the size tube you plan on using it on, you use one of two provided ubolts, and all it takes is a 1/2" wrench or deep well socket (deep well socket with ratchet will make this really fast). I used the small ubolts and they fit perfect on the thule bars. Bonus for me was that my thule bars were already spaced perfect to match up with the holes in the jack.

(I'll take pics tomorrow, ran out of daylight today)

Next step was to put it to some real world testing. I put it to the test at Surf n Turf this past weekend. The thing was solid and held up to all the abuse I threw at it, bumps, jumps, vibrations, etc... Never loosened or rattled or anything. The thule bars held up to the abuse too which was cool. I'm sure yakima bars would hold up just as well, and I'll test these out on the yakima bars next time I have them on the tacoma. The only thing to be careful with yakima and thule bars is to not overtighten the ubolts as I believe you could probably keep cranking on them and crush the thinwalled bars if you weren't too careful. I don't think you will have this problem using these on regular tubing.

The only noise vibrations that I got were from the jack handle on the xtreme jack. The handle keeper that they sent us is really loose on the jack side and allows the handle to move and make noise where the handle attaches to the jack. I'm going to test out the hi lift handle keeper that I have as I believe mine is different and may be tighter on the jack. Otherwise, I used some zipties to hold the handle tighter which helped some. I'll take pics tomorrow that show where the handle keeper is too loose. I heard another option is to bolt two regular quickfist clamps back to back and use those as a handle keeper. I'll try that next if my handle keeper is still too loose.

Anyways, just wanted to let everyone know that this product worked really well and I was stoked that it works well with thule bars since I know many of us have aftermarket load bars on our rigs, but might not have tube bumpers. This gives us a solid mounting spot for our hi-lifts and is easily removable for when we don't need to haul our hi-lifts. I'll have pics up tomorrow of it on my rig.

My signature

Re: Hi-Lift Tube Mount Review

Is that a pic of a Heep grill posted on UY?!? Heresy

Neat idea though - I see a new home fab project in my near future
    I'm sure it won't be nearly as bling though using exhaust pipe clamps - what's the price on this piece? Are those stainless u-bolts? If the price is right and it's all stainless/alum . . .
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

FWIW if either of you mount this to your racks or your tubework, please slip a piece of fish tank tube over the u-bolt and a piece of rubber mat under the clamp itself to alleviate stress points and dimples in your tubework. Also, a piece of copper pipe cut in half works great with spreading the load on the Yakima systems, as does a halved piece of square stock on the Thule's.

Heck, if you want Slo, I've a set of spare M.O.A.B. assembly brackets we could arrange to trade to finish off the value of my heat sink tile thingamabob?
    (Specifically, the 4 plate/bolt deals on the right of this shot..)

That pic will be gone tomorrow when I take pics of it. Haha!

To be honest, I'm not sure what the price is on them. Edit: Looks like the one I have can be had for $50. Not bad considering how much some of the other ones are going for. I do believe that the hardware is stainless and aluminum. The jack had slight surface rust from getting sandblasted and the salt air, but the hardware was still good to go.

norcal, I don't need any of that stuff. Honestly, if you don't overtighten it, you aren't going to harm the bars. I tested it really good at SnT and no dimples or anything. Even with a sleeve of some sort, it's still on the user to not overtighten and dimple the bars.
    My signature

I added some pics to the first post. In one of them, you can see how the handle keeper has some play in the main bar. I also found out that the majority of the clanking and noise from bumps was actually coming from the base plate. I removed one pin and took it off and put it in my recovery bag. It rides much quieter now over bumps and stuff, and since it goes back on with just one pin, it's no big deal to keep it in the recovery bag.
    My signature

The Daystar handle keeper has play in it too.

Hilift used to sell a slick little pin for the base. I think it comes with the winch kit. I've got one but my hi lift hasn't left the garage for almost 2 years. It's just a bit dangerous for me.

Yeah, the xtreme jack has that nice pin. It's super easy to remove the base.
    My signature

Where are you finding them that cheap? I just found them online at High Jack
    1-2" $79.50 Plus $13.21 U.P.S Ground Shipping Total $92.71
    2-3" $89.50 plus $13.21 U.P.S.Ground Shipping Total $102.71
    Seems way high to me for either of them when you build a system for less then $20 to do the same thing.
    1990 4 runner <br />5.29 front with Aisin hubs coming soon Aussie locker<br />5.29 rears with TRD limited slip <br />35 x 12.5 x 15 B.F.Goodrich KO&#039;s<br />15 x 8 Micky Thompson Classic II rims<br />Pro Comp stage II 4&quot; suspension lift<br /><br />1955 Panhead Original Hardtail frame and Kick start only<br />Springer front end stock rake <br />Home made Stretched tanks <br />Arlen Ness Hand built rear Taildragger fender tombstone taillight<br />I am the SECOND OWNER did all the work myself<br /><br />1998 flhtc Dresser<br />Stretched tanks <br />Arlen Ness Fat Tail rear fender<br />Arlen Ness custom extended hard bags with my custom exhaust running Thur Nascar Style dual tip out both sides (4 tips total)<br />Stealth Bomber Radar absorbing flat black paint

Quote Originally Posted by olharleyman
    Where are you finding them that cheap? I just found them online at High Jack
    1-2" $79.50 Plus $13.21 U.P.S Ground Shipping Total $92.71
    2-3" $89.50 plus $13.21 U.P.S.Ground Shipping Total $102.71
    Seems way high to me for either of them when you build a system for less then $20 to do the same thing.
    Oops, sorry, I made the "$50" a clickable link, but I didn&#39;t point it out. Here&#39;s the link:
    http://www.quadratec.com/products/92200_901X_PG.htm

For sure, like a lot of stuff, with some fab skills, you could build something similar for $20, but not everyone can. Hence, why I thought I would do a review on it. Plus I like the versatility of this, it came with 2 different sized ubolts so it fits up larger bars, and I like how it&#39;s easy to switch this from say, my 4runner, to the van, to the tacoma (all of which have different systems). I don&#39;t think for $20 I could makes something this nice that worked on all my vehicles and will never rust.
    My signature