Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't buy the bumper I want, so I'm going to build one...

Can't buy the bumper I want, so I'm going to build one...

Prelim design in CAD.

Bumper Mounting Brackets on Frame and central members will be 3/8" thick, CNC cut. Thinking of 3/16" thick for the sheet. Hoop is from a TJM T3. Will eventually add a "tray" to the frame bracket to house a 9500# warn.

Any pointers?

Any possilbe interest for a "kit" of pieces to have a final fitting and fab by owner (or shop of owner's choice)?

[img width=800 height=360]http://4rnr.net/cruiser/front-bumper/bumper-design-rev1.jpg[/img]
    -andy

Re: Can't buy the bumper I want, so I'm going to build one...

Are you gonna make it multi generational?
    1990 4 runner <br />5.29 front with Aisin hubs coming soon Aussie locker<br />5.29 rears with TRD limited slip <br />35 x 12.5 x 15 B.F.Goodrich KO&#039;s<br />15 x 8 Micky Thompson Classic II rims<br />Pro Comp stage II 4&quot; suspension lift<br /><br />1955 Panhead Original Hardtail frame and Kick start only<br />Springer front end stock rake <br />Home made Stretched tanks <br />Arlen Ness Hand built rear Taildragger fender tombstone taillight<br />I am the SECOND OWNER did all the work myself<br /><br />1998 flhtc Dresser<br />Stretched tanks <br />Arlen Ness Fat Tail rear fender<br />Arlen Ness custom extended hard bags with my custom exhaust running Thur Nascar Style dual tip out both sides (4 tips total)<br />Stealth Bomber Radar absorbing flat black paint

LOL... simply put, no.

It's for a UZJ 100. I don't have a 4Runner any longer. Sorry!
    -andy

looks good andy, cant wait to see the photo play by play

Cool looking design.

I'm most interested to hear how you find a fabricator to cut and build to your dimensions. Are you going to find a separate place with a water jet/ plasma table or just have one guy do the whole thing?

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Nice! I'm leaning towards a uzj100 as my next vehicle, so I'm really looking forward to how this comes out! Is a rear bumper in the works too?
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Erich_870
    Cool looking design.

I'm most interested to hear how you find a fabricator to cut and build to your dimensions. Are you going to find a separate place with a water jet/ plasma table or just have one guy do the whole thing?

Erich
    I have a local place that dropped by my office a month or so ago to talk with us about doing work with them. They have a CNC water jet for cutting. They also do any type of fab work, so I may just have them weld everything up as well.
    -andy

Quote Originally Posted by bamachem
    I have a local place that dropped by my office a month or so ago to talk with us about doing work with them. They have a CNC water jet for cutting. They also do any type of fab work, so I may just have them weld everything up as well.
    Sounds like they have some incentive to take on your project. I've been having a heck of a time finding anyone remotely local to me who'll discuss some of my projects. They are only interested in doing a large run of items.

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Navigator

that sucks... no private fabricators in your area? i know of 3 within an hour of me that specialize in off-road, one of them is even toyota (land cruiser) based
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

ended up going w/ a shop that had a CNC plasma machine. the winch plate, frame brackets, and center section is 1/4", the bumper "skeleton" is 1/2", and the wings are 1/8" on the prototype. i can tell you now that the center will be 1/8" as well, and we will probably go ahead and cut a new one. i wanted 3/16", but they didn&#39;t have any drop for fitting this first one together.

tomorrow we will be bending the pieces on a 10-ton press and tacking some up for initial fitment.

now that i have the shop w/ CNC table and press, the welder/fitter is ready to go, i&#39;m all set. i have the powder coating shop on notice, and the greyhound bus terminal is only 100-yards from my day-job desk. we also have a freight dock here with regular drop offs and pick ups, so UPS or FedEx freight is also a decent shipping option.

First cuts in the 1/2" plate:

Pieces ready for the press:
    -andy

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast