Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't buy the bumper I want, so I'm going to build one...

Re: Can't buy the bumper I want, so I'm going to build one...

Cool! Can't wait to see more progress.

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Crinale
    that sucks... no private fabricators in your area? i know of 3 within an hour of me that specialize in off-road, one of them is even toyota (land cruiser) based
    We have a couple welders and one machine shop and they are either too busy or too poorly run to get back to me.

Get this, we don't even have a gun smith in town any more!

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Andy, when you bring the machine shop your CAD file, can they just load the file and the CNC machine figures out the best cut patern? Or do you have to tell the CNC where to start/finish each cut?
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

in AutoCAD, I had to use the section lengths and angles of the planes to determine what the flat piece of plate would look like for each part with the compound angles included. Once I had the flat plate drawn full-size, I took the file to the fabricator. He takes the DWG file, saves it as a DXF file, then transferrs it to another machine loaded with his CNC programming software. At that point, he lays out each piece on a virtual sheet for each thickness required. Each cut file is then loaded as the sheets are loaded on the CNC table. The operator selects the "corner" for the 0,0 start point, and then he begins the program to cut the parts.
    -andy

Awesome, thanks! That's exactly what I was wondering about.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Looking forward to seeing the end-product. I wish I knew AutoCAD a little better; it's a limitless program.
    2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4-Dub<br />TRD supercharger,&nbsp; Toytec Coilovers, OME 890&#39;s, 285 Duratracs

Quote Originally Posted by bamachem
    LOL... simply put, no.

It's for a UZJ 100. I don't have a 4Runner any longer. Sorry!
    Andy, your red one was awesome. Why you gone with LC100 instead of 4Runner? Was it space issue? I have 2 Runners and absolutely love them. The only thing I'm missing on both of them is D-4D...
    Alex<br /><br />2005 4Runner V6 Limited<br />Custom LT 5.5&quot;, 35&quot;, 4.56, ARB locker<br />Custom ARB + CBI bumpers, Snorkel<br />Warn 9.5xp, Custom Roof Rack, Hella HIDs<br /><br />2001 4Runner V6 Limited<br />3.5&quot; lift, 33&quot;<br />Hella 4000s<br />Custom ARB + CBI bumpers, Snorkel - coming<br /><br />2009 AE Expedition Trailer<br />35&quot;

Navigator

he sold both 4runners... and he doesnt do much (any?) serious off-roading anymore, and the UZJ100 was his wife's ride... but she got a new vehicle and he sold the black one to a guy doing a south of the border expedition.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Crinale
    he sold both 4runners... and he doesnt do much (any?) serious off-roading anymore, and the UZJ100 was his wife's ride... but she got a new vehicle and he sold the black one to a guy doing a south of the border expedition.
    wow. Do I have a stalker? LOL

That pretty much summed it up. We've had the 100 for about 3 years now. We used to live 45-min from Tellico in East TN. We moved to the gulf coast a couple years ago and no need for a rock crawler down here at the beach, so I sold the red 4runner to get another one and build it for mild offroad stuff. I got the black 4runner last year, and got started on it. At some point along the way, we decided to get a car (instead of two SUV's), so we got a convertible solara (great at the beach and with our warm weather) and I had to choose between a 99 4Runner Limited or a 00 Land Cruiser. Land Cruiser had payments, but offered WAY more space and comfort along with lower miles. 4Runner had rear locker, but UZJ has ATRAC which works very well offroad on both front and rear traction. Only thing I do offroad anymore is going hunting in the winter and I get off the beaten path from time to time. The sad thing is there just aren't any trails withing 100+ miles of me. ZERO.
    -andy

Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by bamachem
    wow. Do I have a stalker? LOL
    *hides in the bushes*

nah, i just have way too good a memory for stuff i read :-P
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast