Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can't buy the bumper I want, so I'm going to build one...

Re: Can't buy the bumper I want, so I'm going to build one...

Ran into a couple interferences on the fab up that needed to be worked out in CAD, recut, then re-bent.

Final thicknesses:

Frame Mounting Bracket: 1/4"
    Winch Mounting Plate (direct to frame): 1/4"
    Bumper Mounting Plates (at frame rails): 3/8"
    Bumper Skin: 1/8" (thicker than ARB and TJM)

New plate will be cut and bent by lunch tomorrow. Part of the reason it's taking so long is because we're doing a 91 Toyota P/U at the same time with a very similar style bumper. The UZJ will be tacked up first (tomorrow after lunch) and hopefully welded out by quitting time. I'll take pics of the build-up along the way.

The P/U bumper will be completed over the weekend, then they will both go to the powder coater next week.

Plan for later this week will be for me to get the CAD drawings finalized (dimensional changes from what we learn at fab-up) and we will probably go ahead and build the first "production" bumper next week. Any additional tweeks to the CAD files will be done after that bumper is complete. After that, we should be ready to go.

For now, looks like pricing will be $800-$850 range + shipping for a complete, welded out, powder coated bumper with winch plate for the frame on a UZJ (no hoop). Kit *may* come later with the pre-cut and pre-bent pieces, un-coated and/or un-painted of course. These would be in the $400 range and would require only a 3-4 hours to do final fitting and welding, then finish coating (paint or PC) of your choice.

Now that TJM is off the market, there's plenty of room for some additional "mom&pop shops" in addition to ARB and slee - really not much else out there. Looking to just help some fellow cruiser heads out.

I'll have the weight tomorrow.

FYI: Sales of bumpers and kits will be operated under an LLC (in Alabama) and will have a website with pics, prices, etc and Paypal payment acceptance up and running in January. I'll be adding sliders and a rear bumper to the offerings as well!

Pics tomorrow!
    -andy

Awesome! I'm looking forward to how this turns out!
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

btw, you should make high steer kits for the 80 series. Slee's are $$$$$$.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Got the center section (frame to frame) for both trucks tacked and mounted up. Very little adjustments needed there. Got the front-facing section of the wings trimmed and tacked on the cruiser. Pics posted below...

My welder is certified for working on US Navy ship building along with high pressure vessels and piping. Think stacked dimes...

He's taking what's done so far on the center of the UZJ and his stuff for his P/U and welding them up tomorrow & Friday at home. Monday is when we're going to get the wings completed and finish off the winch plate for the UZJ.

Going good so far...

[img width=800 height=600]http://4rnr.net/cruiser/front-bumper/Bumper-Build-01.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=600]http://4rnr.net/cruiser/front-bumper/Bumper-Build-02.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=600]http://4rnr.net/cruiser/front-bumper/Bumper-Build-03.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=563]http://4rnr.net/cruiser/front-bumper/Bumper-Build-04.jpg[/img]

As you can see in this last pic, the wings will need a few CAD adjustments before the next one is cut. We're going to just fill in the gaps on this one, then take final measurements and get the files updated. At least it's progress though!

[img width=800 height=600]http://4rnr.net/cruiser/front-bumper/Bumper-Build-05.jpg[/img]

-andy

Very nice. It's cool to see it coming together.

Navigator

its looking real good! and those are amazing prices... theres a local guy (i dont know if he makes ujz100 stuff) that specializes in land cruisers, and his bumpers are between $1200 and $2000 depending on options...
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

crappy blackberry pics from today...

mo' betta pics coming tomorrow. weather is supposed to be nice and sunny, so you'll see more details in the black that just don't show up at night.
    -andy

factory horn on frame is retained. you will have to drill one hole in the frame for the winch bracket - only modification to the truck.

winch plate will bolt from the 1/4" thick winch plate, thru the frame, and thru the 1/4" thick bumper bracket riser on the other side of the frame. it will also attach to the frame crossmember in front of the radiator, so it's pulling from 4 points on the frame.
    -andy

Looking good and it's close to original shape, only better.
    Alex<br /><br />2005 4Runner V6 Limited<br />Custom LT 5.5&quot;, 35&quot;, 4.56, ARB locker<br />Custom ARB + CBI bumpers, Snorkel<br />Warn 9.5xp, Custom Roof Rack, Hella HIDs<br /><br />2001 4Runner V6 Limited<br />3.5&quot; lift, 33&quot;<br />Hella 4000s<br />Custom ARB + CBI bumpers, Snorkel - coming<br /><br />2009 AE Expedition Trailer<br />35&quot;

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast