Thread: camcorder question

camcorder question

I need to get a camcorder for work but I know nothing about them. Can you hook up a HD camcorder to the computer to stream live video. Audio streaming would be nice, but video is needed.

Edit: and no, this has nothing to do with Bob's "side" business.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Re: camcorder question

Most cameras have the capability of streaming live video to a computer, it will depend on the software that comes with it. You should be able to stream full 1080p at 30fps through a USB 2.0 connection.

Keep in mind, there are webcams out there that can stream pretty nice video if that's all you're looking for. I have a Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 and am very happy with it; it has a max resolution of 1600x1200 and only costs $70 from Amazon (as opposed to $500+ for a decend HD camcorder).
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Where do you need the video/audio displayed? on the computer? the easiest route here may be to just use the video out (HDMI) on the camcorder and grab a video capture card and just feed the input on to your computer. That's almost like a "universal" way of doing it. I guess it just depends on how you need the video/audio displayed
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

Ultimately I'd like to record a test and simultaneously stream it to other engineers around the world. Part of this globalization thing, ya know. At the very least I could stream it to my computer then use netmeeting to share my desktop and they could see the video live. I have a feeling the quality isn't going to be there, though.

As for a webcam, cost is no object (up to a few grand) so I'd like to get the best I can. Basically, my "customer" is paying for.
    Steve

Well in you case I think the easy part will be finding a camera; but streaming video could be tough depending on the resolution, compression, and more importantly your internet connection (your upload speeds will likely be the limiting factor). When you say you want to stream HD, any idea what resolution you're actually looking for? I don't suppose Verizon FIOS is available in your area?

It sounds to me like your camera budget allows for a semi-pro level camera which I would definitely get for better focusing, low-light preformance, and framerates. Canon and Sony both make excellent cameras in this range, something like the Canon XH-A1s which is about $3,500.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Camcorder.html

One problem with the Canon semi-pro cameras is they are all DV tape, which means they can only record in resolutions up to 1440x1080, not technically "full HD" but would be plenty good enough for streaming HD video on the internet which is usually 1280x720 (720P). Sony makes cameras that can use SD cards and can record in full HD (1920x1080 30p). Of course if you're streaming straight to a computer, this may be a moot point.

Also, depending on what you're trying to video, you may want to find a camera that has the option of recording at 60fps (progressive, not interlaced) just to capture the action; but you wouldn't be able to stream this video, it would be for slow-mo videos for later watching.

I've found the people on AVS forums' camcorder section to be very knowledgable, you may want to pose your question over there. There are lots of questions about cameras in the $3000+ price range, which would probably be right up your alley.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=161
    Brian
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Yeah, I looked at those semi pro canons briefly but they are out of the price range. I'm pretty sure it will stream live though. Streaming true HD probably isn't needed, but it would be nice to record in HD at the same time as streaming. No, I really have no idea what resolution I'm looking for.

Canon customer service just replied back to an email and said their consumer level cameras won't stream live.

I forgot about the avsforums. I'll go browse around there.

Thanks!
    Steve

If you can find a video capture card that supports an HDMI connection, then you should in theory be able to stream video from any source that has an HDMI out, including Canon HD camcorders (which I would highly recommend, I'm very happy with my HF-100). I'm not sure what software you are hoping to stream with, but if you picked that out it might be easier to find a video capture card/camera combination that would fit the bill.
    Brian

You know it kind of sounds to me like you're trying to create a video teleconferencing solution, so I thought I'd point out that I have used HD VTC systems over at LANL before that can connect either through a phone line (standard def) or through the internet (hi-def). I suspect they might be pretty damn expensive, but it's an option.

http://www.polycom.com/index.html
    Brian