Thread: functional hood scoop

functional hood scoop

has anyone ever made their sport edition's hood scoop functional?

i have thought about drilling holes through the plastic that is behind the mesh grille. i cannot get two screws loose from underneath the hood which i thought would allow me to take off the hood scoop and remove the plastic part and replace the 'new' open hood scoop.
    -Randall<br /><br />&#39;03 V8 Sport Edition<br />Cold Air Intake, K&amp;N Filter<br />40 Series Flowmaster<br />3&quot; front/ 2&quot;rear spacer lift<br />275 65 17 Duelers<br /><br />-a work in progress

Re: functional hood scoop

Guys have drilled the plastic holes. At least mine has holes in the front of the scoop. I guess they drill them all out. I think it would let a bunch of water and dirt in. Our Subaru has a functional scoop and it has 2 baffles to keep stuff out of the engine compartment. About the only thing that gets in and builds up is leaves and pine needles.

Take some fine black plastic mesh they use to block off gutters to keep stuff out.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

on my 99, I just cut out the cup part of the scoop, it does allow rain and dirt to get into the enginebay..

As far cutting holes, I seen somewhere online that someone had cut 4 holes, then ran flex tubing to the airbox and cut holes to insert the tubes, but Im sure Id never be able to find it, lol
    Ive thought about a few things but nothing worth it IMHO
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    As far cutting holes, I seen somewhere online that someone had cut 4 holes, then ran flex tubing to the airbox and cut holes to insert the tubes, but Im sure Id never be able to find it, lol
    I remember that! I think it was on YT somewhere...but I think it looked really whacked-out and impractical There was so much flex hose!
    &#39;96 SR5 5VZ-FE. 89k . 265/75/16 REVO 2s. Sonoran Steel 1.2, HID projector retrofit, Lightforce 170s.

yea, there was lots of flex tube... lol
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz