Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Differential Breather....ooops

Rear Differential Breather....ooops

I'm a newbie so excuse me if there's already write-ups on the subject that I may have missed. I own a '99 4Runner with 141k miles. I regularly change all fluids but it appears that by not installing a $4 part and extending my breather on the rear diff I have caused the dreaded failure. My mechanic has told me to start searching for a new rear differential.... Im curious if anyone has had any luck resolving this type of issue and what the best approach would be ie rebuild or replace.

Re: Rear Differential Breather....ooops

What exactly is wrong with yours? Did your mechanic tell you anything other than it has 'failed'?

Has your rear dif failed completely already?
    Any pics of what happened?

If water got in and made the oil into a milkshake, then yes, all sorts of bad things might have happened.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

So far no news other than what I expected to hear...Rear end failure of some sort. Being a 3rd member they'll have to take the axels out yada yada yada and its still up on the rack waiting on my approval to have them tear into it. I won't know exactly what's failed until they get into it.

Sorry, no pics. It hasn't completely failed either. Im wondering if I put some 80wt oil in there I can trade it in.. No, cant go without my runner. Its been too good to me to find closure in such a demoralizing way.

Anyone in AZ have an idea of where I might find a used one? Or would a rebuild be more beneficial?

Thanks

Depending on what might've gone wrong, you might just be able to get away with buying a new gear (or two). Truth is, if it was still working, and the only diagnosis is milky oil, you still have a chance of getting away easy.

How'd you know something is wrong in the first place? Did it start makin' weird noises?
    :Marko:<br />
    Supercharged[COLOR=Sienna] 98 4Runner SR5 4x4 3.4L<br />315cc Injectors :: 4&quot; Deckplate :: TrueFlow Air Intake System :: Magnaflow 18&quot; Muffler w/ Resonator<br />XM Sat Radio (Roady XT) :: Autometer Boost Gauge :: Color Keyed Spoiler<br />
    <br /><br />
    TOYOTA|moving forward

Yep, started about 3 months ago as a small whining sound and has progressed into an annoying, loud whining sound with a small almost whistle-like sound. I mean, I trust my mechanic but its hard to diagnose without giving him consent to tear into it. Either way Im out cash and I have a race in Northern AZ (dirtbikes) this weekend I need to drive too so the runners gotta get back on the road. Its either drive it til she explodes/fails or have it done now.

So far all I know is that the oil is milky.

Quote Originally Posted by AZyakima
    Yep, started about 3 months ago as a small whining sound and has progressed into an annoying, loud whining sound with a small almost whistle-like sound. I mean, I trust my mechanic but its hard to diagnose without giving him consent to tear into it. Either way Im out cash and I have a race in Northern AZ (dirtbikes) this weekend I need to drive too so the runners gotta get back on the road. Its either drive it til she explodes/fails or have it done now.

So far all I know is that the oil is milky.
    In that case, you really don't have much of a choice. If you can't find a used working one right away, but can't come up with the cash to fix it, I'd at the least get it properly diagnosed and have the oil flushed and changed. If anything, that'll get you the most miles out of your sick diff
    :Marko:<br />
    Supercharged[COLOR=Sienna] 98 4Runner SR5 4x4 3.4L<br />315cc Injectors :: 4&quot; Deckplate :: TrueFlow Air Intake System :: Magnaflow 18&quot; Muffler w/ Resonator<br />XM Sat Radio (Roady XT) :: Autometer Boost Gauge :: Color Keyed Spoiler<br />
    <br /><br />
    TOYOTA|moving forward

if youre talking about a replacement rear diff from a junkyard, expect to pay somewhere between $70 and $100. cheap if you ask me

You may also need to do the axle seals and bearings if they were ruined with the water entering the dif. You'd probably spend alot more money trying to rebuild what you have than to just get a used one from a junkyard. I agree with Bob, out there you should be able to pick up a used 3rd member (double and triple check you have the right ratio for your truck) for about $100-200 or so.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

I appreciate everyone's replies and interest in my dilemma. Found out that the rear diff is 4.30 Gearing. Also discovered by calling my local shop that Toyota sells the entire rear diff <new> for $1217.73! Bit more than Im willing to part with but atleast I'd have a solid rear-end for my next 100+k miles... If everything else lasts, which I think It will Im good I'll likely get another opinion before making a final call but thought I'd wrap my thread with a final update.

To the staff: Great Site! I thoroughly enjoy having become a member.
    To the Members: Thanks for the help for the few that replied. Its nice to know I have a reputable resource now for my runner as I do with my KTM for any one-off questions or concerns. You all have some amazing Yota's!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast