Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My 10/22 build thread

Re: My 10/22 build thread

Nice Cheap Mods, I like them that way too.

When I first read this post I didn't know much about the 10/22 other than shooting them a few times. I am now in 10/22 acquisition mode and am curious about the model and vintage of your 10/22? Is it a basic carbine? Is it the old metal trigger group or newer plastic trigger group? If it is metal will you mag release mod work on a plastic model? I didn't realize there is so much to know about 10/22's and possible modifications and upgrades.

Can you post a picture of your entire rifle?

Any advice to someone trying to purchase a 10/22? I've read a bunch on CG and RFC but there is so much there and it's hard to know who's opinion holds water? Some people say buy only the older models, some say it doesn't matter, others make your own without any Ruger parts. Looked at a carbine and a sporter today, the sporter being $60 more but having a nicer stock and sling loops installed. Trying to get this for an upcoming shooting trip with the kids, any advice is appreciated. Apologies for the partial hijack.

93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

Unfortunately, I searched my archives for recent pictures of the complete rifle and couldn't find a single one. On top of that, it's in pieces right now in preparation for the barrel to be sent out to nemohunter on rfc to do some chamber work, so I can't go take any pictures. But because it's a sleeper, it looks just like any other 10/22.

Yes, it is the basic carbine, el cheapo from sportsman's warehouse. $200, I think. Mine is the metal housing, surprisingly. I thought it would be plastic. I don't see why the release extension wouldn't work; all you have to do is drill and tap it.

Personally, I don't think the plastic ones are bad, but I've only seen one. I think the people who don't like plastic are stuck in the 70's, especially for a 10/22. Which one you get depends on what you intend to do with it. Lots of people upgrade the stock anyway, so there's no use in getting the upgraded one. Sling swivels you can install yourself.

If you get into modifying it, you'll probably upgrade the trigger/bolt, barrel and stock, and probably in that order. At least that's what I would do. The nice thing about the trigger work, is that you can do it yourself or buy new for pretty cheap.

I don't think you should put together a rifle without any ruger parts, especially for your first one. Maybe for your 2nd or 3rd "ultimate" 10/22, but not your first.

Bottom like, if it's for your kids, it'll get beat up so maybe just get the cheapest one.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Thanks for sorting that out Steve. Your take on things always seems to be right on.

Unfortunately there are no good deals on 10/22’s locally right now and seeing how it is such a feared and deadly weapon requiring a 10 day cooling off period I have to do something in the next few days in order to have it for our trip. So I’ll either just cheap out and wait for a sale or do an impulse buy and pony up the extra $40 this weekend.

One final question. Does that ring on the end of the stock on the carbine that goes around the barrel cause any issues with floating, bedding, or re-crowning the barrel?

Thanks!
    93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

Honestly, I haven't done enough with the barrel ring to form my own opinion, but most people say to take it off and float the barrel because it would defeat the purpose of floating the barrel. Others say go the opposite way and put a pressure pad at the end of the stock (muzzle end) and play with differing thicknesses to see if there is any improvement in accuracy.

Really, I haven't gotten far enough into the accuracy thing yet, to know which way is better. What I'll probably end up doing is splitting the ring horizontally at the barrel/stock interface and gluing it back on so it still looks stock.

Recrowning only resurfaces the very tip of the muzzle so no, it doesn't have anything to do with the ring.

By the way, if you're going to get more factory magazines, I'd recommend spending the few extra bucks on the transparent ones. It's nice to see how many rounds you have left in the mag.
    Steve

Hey Steve... How accurate is this thing going to be?
    I have recently acquired a little Glenfield Model 60, and have heard many "internet rumors" that it is a far superior (accuracy wise - but not in any other way from what I am seeing) rifle to the 10/22 right out of the box. Obviously your's is no longer "right out of the box" and mine is, but I am curious what kind of groupings you will get with this thing at say 25-40 yds?
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

I don't think 10/22's are known for their out of the box accuracy, but this is what mine will do at 50 yards. The orange dot is 1 inch in diameter so the groups probably average about 1.5-2 inches.

[img width=800 height=354]http://www.robinhood4x4.com/UY/Trgt.JPG[/img]

The only accuracy work I've done to it is a trigger job. Other mods don't contribute to accuracy, like the bolt chamfer and polish, and mag release, but rather help with reliability and ease of use. There's also a 3x-9x scope.

In my mind, I'd be happy with keeping all my shots within the first circle of the orange dot, so 1/2" at 50 yards. I'm not really sure if that's realistic, but I think it is if I remember the targets I've seen posted on RFC after nemo worked on it. Keep in mind, this rifle helped me achieve a "rifleman's" patch at appleseed and it was completely stock at that time.
    Steve

Just ran across this thread about stock accuracy and the marlin is mentioned.
    http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=336724

And here's a couple threads on nemo's barrels.
    http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=347743

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=283016
    Steve

Any updates on your work from Nemo? Did you see any improvements?

It's also been a few years and we need some pictures or the links on previous ones fixed. Since my first post in this thread I bought a 10/22, it's been about 2 years now. Lots of fun but .22LR is hard to come by at a good price. I'm down to a small mound so I don't go out as much.

Funny you should bump this post now, I just ran across it a few days ago and was thinking I should fix the pictures.

Honestly, I didn't see any improvement in my rechambering, but lots of other people swear by it on RFC. I also still need to float the barrel and bed the action, so it could be that those things are over riding any accuracy gains that the rechambering had.

I'll post more later...time for bed.
    Steve

Interesting. My 10/22 is the 'all weather' stainless version. I don't think it's an option any more since the take down model came out. Mine looks identical except for the take down feature.

Other than wanting an .22 i bought a Ruger because of the modability. I've put a Houge stock on it and at the time had to chose standard barrel or bull barrel. Like you I didn't want to pour money into this rifle but there are some nice looking and performing aftermarket barrels out there. I stayed with the standard barrel and with the new stock I've ditched the barrel band.

I haven't noticed a huge difference in accuracy but the fit and feel is much better. The angle and length of the stock has changed which has helped. At the range I fire from a bench and use a Blackhawk bi pod which also helps. Fun rifle.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123