Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 10/22 build thread

My 10/22 build thread

Edited 10-8-10: This thread was originally just about the mag release extension but I've expanded this to be a 10/22 buildup thread. Scroll down to see the new info.

Not bad considering I don't have a lathe or drill press.

I ended up using my 18V hand drill as a lathe and using the corner of a file I carved a dimple into the center of a scrap piece of aluminum round stock. Then I clamped a drill bit into a vise and drilled a blind hole into the aluminum and tapped it for a 8-32 set screw. I cut it off at 1/2", threaded the screw into the hole, chucked it up by the screw. Again, using the drill like a lathe, I used a file and a bench grinder to turn down the diameter and apply a radius to the end. Then, after a little sandpaper and polishing the extension was done.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Re: My custom 10/22 mag extension

Forgive me for being gun stupid but what exactly will that allow you to do..?
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Ah, sorry, I forgot if you don't have a 10/22 you don't know the shortcomings. The stock mag release isn't exactly the easiest to manipulate. That little button where the new piece is attached is the mag release. With a stock mag release, you push that button with your thumb which theoretically releases the mag into your waiting hand. In actuality, the mag binds because your thumb is pushing against the mag at the same time that you're pushing on the release. So this makes it much easier to push the button and release mags.
    Steve

Faster shooting action with added rounds.

I thought I was going to see some funky way that you extended the actual magazine to hold more rounds. Looks good. I need to build me a 10/22
    My signature

Re: My custom 10/22 mag release extension

Woops, changed the title. I forgot to add "release".
    Steve

I've wanted a 10/22 for some time now. Maybe someday. Good job on the mod.

Nice mod. It sucks trying to get that clip out conventionally when your hands are cold and numb.
    2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4-Dub<br />TRD supercharger,&nbsp; Toytec Coilovers, OME 890&#39;s, 285 Duratracs

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    I need to build me a 10/22
    BTW, I'm not building anything...My goal is to spend as little money as possible on my 10/22. So far I've done a trigger job, bolt release mod, small bolt chamfer, and now the mag release, all done myself. Next is to get the stock barrel rechambered by nemohunter on rimfirecentral, and possibly bed and free float. Ok, maybe I'm building a little, but it's going to be a sleeper. So far the only money I have into it is a $50 simmons scope, $10-20 in sling swivels and sling (for appleseed), and a bunch of mags and maybe only 8-12 hours of time.

Maybe I should turn this into a build thread.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4
    Next is to get the stock barrel rechambered by nemohunter on rimfirecentral...
    Rechambered to what?

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4
    Maybe I should turn this into a build thread.
    Yes, please do

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast