Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My 10/22 build thread

Re: My custom 10/22 mag release extension

Rechambered to a match chamber. Nemo does this machine work on the side but has a pretty good following on RFC. Basically, he cuts off about 1/4" from the chamber side and re-reams the chamber for a tighter fit and then re-crowns the muzzle end.

It's supposed to rival the aftermarket barrels for accuracy and only costs about $85. You can also add in other things like hand lapping and moly treatment.

The downside, as with all match chambered barrels, is that extracting an unfired round may or may not work anymore. Usually, "tuning" the extractor or buying aftermarket remedies this but there's no guarantee.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4
    Rechambered to a match chamber. Nemo does this machine work on the side but has a pretty good following on RFC. Basically, he cuts off about 1/4" from the chamber side and re-reams the chamber for a tighter fit and then re-crowns the muzzle end.

It's supposed to rival the aftermarket barrels for accuracy and only costs about $85. You can also add in other things like hand lapping and moly treatment.

The downside, as with all match chambered barrels, is that extracting an unfired round may or may not work anymore. Usually, "tuning" the extractor or buying aftermarket remedies this but there's no guarantee.
    Cool!

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

I would buy a cold blue kit and blue that Steve, would look better.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Nah, that would contradict my goal of not spending money on this gun.
    Steve

What you dont have a cold blue kit already? And you call yourself a gun nut lol..
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Re: My 10/22 build thread

In keeping with my goal of spending as little money as possible on my 10/22, I decided to try the flip flop recoil pad. It's a little rough since this is the first time I've ever attempted fitting a recoil pad to anything, and I was also in a hurry to get the gun ready for a squirrel hunt in a few days (which has since been canceled).

My recoil pad started out life as 5.11 tactical sandals (on sale for $2).

I taped off part of the stock to protect it and then using a belt sander, flattened out some of the curves of the stock.

Then, again using the belt sander, I roughly shaped the foam to within 1/16" of the stock. From there, I used 80 grit sandpaper wrapped around a file (see background of above picture) to get it even closer.

Here's the finished product. The plastic piece in the groove is kydex that I had left over from a holster I had made. I just shaped it to fit and glued it in with super glue.

I was hoping 3 screws would hold the recoil pad to the stock well enough, but there was still a significant gap. Super gluing the pad to the stock all the way around fixed this. Prior to super gluing it, I did an experiment with some left over foam and wood and it is an extremely strong bond. If I had pulled hard enough, it would have ripped the foam and left a big chunk on the wood. By the way, the glue I used was a gel type.
    Steve

How important is a recoil pad on a 10/22? I'm not being a jerk, just I am used to shooting larger calibers, the only rifles I have currently are either 12 ga shot guns, or my Mosin's (7.62x54R which is within a hair of exactly the same as a 30.06) and I dont have a recoil pad on anything. My buddy won't shoot his Mosin without a pad, or even his SKS, but I just dont use 'em on anything....

Long story short, this mod looks good, and seems like a nice fit, and a good way to go on a budget build. I'm just curious why a recoil pad on a 10/22....
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

If I'd take a guess, it's less about recoil and more about comfort. It's nice having something soft against your shoulder as opposed to the stock plastic they have back there. Especially since you tend to shoot a 22lr. all day instead of a handful of shots.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Good question. Most people put a recoil pad on a 10/22 to increase the Length of Pull because for some reason a 10/22 seems shorter than other rifles even though it's the same. For me, I've always hated the smooth, hard plastic plate because it's too slippery. The gun moves around too much in the shoulder.

The second reason is the eye relief on my scope is fairly long and there's no more adjustment to push it forward.
    Steve

Excellent reasoning. I was just curious.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast