Thread: aftermarket cruise control?

aftermarket cruise control?

My 01 Prerunner didn't come with cruise control, and I was thinking about using an aftermarket unit. Has anyone done this? Where did you purchase it, and how difficult was the installation process?

Re: aftermarket cruise control?

All I know is that the factory cruise control is a very complex system and has wires that go to all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    All I know is that the factory cruise control is a very complex system and has wires that go to all over the place.
    X2

This is not an easy add on. Best bet is usually to have a donor vehicle to swap parts.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

i've seen places like CARTOYS advertise aftermarket cruise system installations. maybe your local auto electronics installer does the same?

i imagine retrofitting in the factory system would be far more costly in the long run...
    1996 SR5 4Runner
    3.4 5speed 4x4 165k

I've seen couple guys removed their cruise control unit in the engine bay to fit onboard air systems. probably you can ask around see if you can have those parts for cheap.

i know you will need a new steering wheel equipped with the cruise control switch. when i had my leather steering wheel replaced, the CC switch came off with the steering wheel.

probably soem work on the ECU too.
    94 4Runner, SR5 3.0V6, 4WD, 5spd: SOLD<br />99 4Runner, SR5, 3.4L 4WD, 5spd.&nbsp;&nbsp; full SS 1.2 lift, RedLine Fluids, Marline Shifter seat, BruceTS rear bumper, roof busket, Marlin 1200 Clutch, hitch mount tire carrier, Tundra brakes, Brembo rotors.&nbsp; Stubb&#039;s sliders, Lightforce 240, ARB Taco bar, BruceTS rear bumper, stainless steel skid plate.&nbsp; ScanGaugeII, Hankook AT 265/75 LC80 wheels.<br />04 4Runner, V6 SR5 4WD, 3rd Gen. LTD wheels, BFG AT 265/75, FJC coils and silver Bilstein shocks, Scion H/U.