Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe test drive

2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe test drive

Don't laugh, this is a legitimate car. It's no secret that Hyundai targeted the Infiniti G35/37 coupe and not surprisingly they stole it's looks too. I don't care, I think it's an attractive car. There are essentially three models with two engine choices, a 2.0 liter turbocharged 4 cylinder with 210 hp and a 3.8 liter V6 with 306 hp. Thankfully this is a rear wheel drive car. Both engines are available with either a 6-speed manual or a 6-speed auto. Models vary from the base, annoyingly called "Premium," then the Grand Touring, then the Track version. The Track version gets Brembo brakes, a torsen LSD and stiffer suspension with larger sway bars.

I drove a 2.0T GT 6-speed manual first. In all respects I think the car is pretty impressive, especially when you consider this car starts at $22,000. I didn't think the 2.0T engine really matched the sportiness of the rest of the car. I have pretty high expectations from a 2-door sportscar when it comes to horsepower and torque and I felt 210 horses were not enough for this 3400 lb car. It is worth considering though, especially since it returns 31 mpg on the highway.

I found myself much more impressed with the 306 hp V6. The power was there when you need it. The engine sounds amazing and loves to run to its 6500 RPM redline. The 6-speed has a really nice feel, the Brembo brakes are strong and the handling is probably better than anything I have driven. The ride quality isn't bad at all either. I drove the 3.8 Track but I think it would be worthwhile to try the 3.8GT as well, it lacks the LSD and the Brembos but costs $25,000 rather than the Track version's $29,000 price tag. The ride is apparently more compliant too.

The interior won't match the quality of an Infiniti but it costs $10,000 less too. I thought it was fine and they do offer a really nice touchscreen navigation system for only $1,250. All other car companies charge $2,000+ for systems that don't work as well as Hyundai's. The seats are really comfortable and supportive. Backseat legroom is okay but headroom is pretty poor for anyone over 5'8" due to the sloping roof.

I had a field day in this car. After I built a little trust with the saleswoman she pretty much let me have at it...even told me to turn the traction control off and get it sideways. I didn't take her up on that offer on public streets but had a great time taking corners at moderate speed and doing full-throttle acceleration runs. The only complaint I have is the traction control is overly invasive. It's understandable that it would take control in first gear but 306 hp and 266 ft lbs of torque just isn't enough for it to intervene as heavily as it did when hitting second gear. There is a huge sag of power for 2-3 seconds after a change to second gear when accelerating hard. With the traction control off it let you have full power at all times.

Loved the car and would gladly drop $25k on it if I were looking for a new car. The 10yr 100,000 mile powertrain warranty is hard to beat too.

Ken

Re: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe test drive

Definately a runner with the 3.8 . . . now if they only put the 4.6L in it that the 4 door got (333 ft/lbs - 375 hp)

Good write-up by the way
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

I been liking these, not liking the looks of the new 2010 models frontend so much tho.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Grand Touring might be the ticket too considering it may have lower insurance payments than the Track.

i havnt been up to date on these for awhile but there was talk of the 4 cyl turbo being a good tuner car since the engine is supposed to similar to the world motor thats in the evo and SRT-4.

ill probably buy one of these cars in 4 years or so, but the tiburon is still just driving great and these are still holding there value used

the 4 cyl is the "World Motor" - didn't know it was in the Evo . . .
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

yeah it based on the engine in the srt4 and evo. but it is not exactly the same of course.

i like the 4cylinder version the best i think. i just think that if im going to buy something with the power of the v6, there are other cars out there i would be considering over it. itll be very interesting to see how this compares to the new toyotaburu
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I remember then Hyundai was a JOKE. Not anymore, huh? I've been hearing more and more good things about their vehicles, this thread being the latest. I bet that 2.0 would suffice if you were coming from a 5SFE Celica!
    &#39;96 SR5 5VZ-FE. 89k . 265/75/16 REVO 2s. Sonoran Steel 1.2, HID projector retrofit, Lightforce 170s.

Navigator

haha... ya hyundai used to be a big joke, but so did Toyota and Honda. when those 2 first came to the US they were jokes, now look at them. This is one of the first cars from hyundai i have actually liked, and i think it will do well for them.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

This car needs to be successful for the sake of us rear wheel drive and manual transmission lovers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast