Thread: 15" vs 16" rims and brake compatibility

15" vs 16" rims and brake compatibility

Okay, I get the label but I want to know where I went wrong. I have a '96 base model 4Runner. I did the Tundra upgrade last winter and grabbed my sister-in-laws 16" Tacoma rims (she had snow tires on them and didn't care about them). Fast forward to this year and she wants to put snow tires back on. I checked the rotor & caliper parts on Rockauto.com and verified that the SR5 and Base were the same. As a favor to her I bought new snow tires and had them mounted on my old 15" rims. She went to have them mounted on the rig and was told by the technician at Les Schwab that they contacted the caliper and she walked out with new snow tires supplied by Les. Now, I think they guy probably saw that the 15" rim rubbed the dust shield and took the opportunity to make a sale but I'm wondering if I just made a big stupid mistake . Did I?
    96 4Runner, 2.7L 4WD<br />&quot;Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition. &quot; - Jefferson

Re: 15" vs 16" rims and brake compatibility

15 inch wheels will not fit on 16 inch brake assy trucks/runners, the wheels will contact the caliper.

No idea how changing the tires will make a difference. I would try mounting them all up yourself.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

I can mirror what CJM said - it was a good thing you tried to do for your sis-in-law but the 15" rims will not fit proper on the 16 inch brake caliper. If the truck came with 15s originally - different story.

What I wonder is how they got new tires to fit on the old 15' rims and then on the truck?

&#39;96 SR5 5VZ-FE. 89k . 265/75/16 REVO 2s. Sonoran Steel 1.2, HID projector retrofit, Lightforce 170s.

Navigator

i think what he meant was new wheels supplied by les.. and probably just slipped and said tires... thats the only thing that would make sense to me...
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Small_words
    Okay, I get the label but I want to know where I went wrong. I have a '96 base model 4Runner. I did the Tundra upgrade last winter and grabbed my sister-in-laws 16" Tacoma rims (she had snow tires on them and didn't care about them). Fast forward to this year and she wants to put snow tires back on. I checked the rotor & caliper parts on Rockauto.com and verified that the SR5 and Base were the same. As a favor to her I bought new snow tires and had them mounted on my old 15" rims. She went to have them mounted on the rig and was told by the technician at Les Schwab that they contacted the caliper and she walked out with new snow tires supplied by Les. Now, I think they guy probably saw that the 15" rim rubbed the dust shield and took the opportunity to make a sale but I'm wondering if I just made a big stupid mistake . Did I?
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you did the Tundra upgrade, then those 15" rims are not going to fit that setup. You need the 16" rims instead. It's not just a matter of hitting the dustshield, the caliper itself will be hitting the rim and can't be clearenced enough to make it fit properly.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by Crinale
    i think what he meant was new wheels supplied by les.. and probably just slipped and said tires... thats the only thing that would make sense to me...
    Ouch, that would be a pricey trip to Les Schwab.
    2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4-Dub<br />TRD supercharger,&nbsp; Toytec Coilovers, OME 890&#39;s, 285 Duratracs