Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new 4Runner.....What did I get???

My new 4Runner.....What did I get???

After my brother forced me to go to the Pismo Jamboree, I was motivated to trade in my '04 PreRunner for a 4x4. Thanks to Bob for recommending the year and model and thanks to Lance for all the information about the 4Runners on the phone while I was at the dealer! You guys really helped me out.

Here are some pictures and questions:

The thing is, I bought an '04 V8 4x4. That's all I know. As you can tell from the photos, the emblems have been shaved off. From looking at the paperwork, it only says that I have a white V8 4Runner. I don't know what model I have. I know I don't have the limited because the seats are not leather. Other than that, I have no idea. I wanted to get new tires pretty soon, but I was told that I should raise it at the same time and get smaller rims. The wheels I have are P265 / 70R17. Are these stock sizes? Can I just get All Terrains with 17's or should I move down to 16's first? I'd rather not spend the money if I don't have to and I don't know the pro's/con's of switching wheel sizes.

When I bought the 4Runner, I had nothing to compare to. The one I bought is not stock. Didn't realize it when I was test driving it, but while waiting in the lobby, I told the wife I didn't think it was stock because the exhaust was so loud and the drone in the car was also loud. I just thought it was the V8, but noticed the aftermarket intake afterwards.

The exhaust tip says "Gibson", but I have no idea if it's just the tip or the pipe also.

Sorry for the long post, but can anyone tell from the pictures what model I have? And will it affect my decisions on lifting it later? I want to do a 3" lift. Will that just be shocks/springs or will it get more involved than that? If I can find out what I have, than I can hopefully do a search for the other info.

Thanks!!

kafene.
    Mark<br />KJ6QXG<br />2004 V8 4Runner 4x4, ToyTec Ultimate Lift, Spydertrax, Yakima roof rack, Gibson exhaust, Stubbs Welding Sliders, P275/70R17 BGF A/T K/O

Re: My new 4Runner.....What did I get???

Nice truck. You just say paperwork.. Did you not see the Title ? It should have the sub model on it, IE SR5, DLX..yada..

99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

^Should&#39;ve just told him he got the wrong model and just to "Give it to me!"

Score!! Nice catch! As far as info on it, just type your vin in here and it&#39;ll also tell you the trim and package level: http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/q.html

This is what I got just now typing in my vin..
    Market
    N. America

Year
    07/1995

Make
    TOYOTA

Model
    4RUNNER / HILUX

Frame
    VZN120

Vehicle characteristics
    GRADE: SR5: SR-5 TYPE

PRODUCT: JPP: PRODUCED AT TMC

DESTINATION: USA: UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

BODY: WG: WAGON

ENGINE: 3VZE: 3000CC EFI FUEL SYSTEM: EFI: ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTION (GASOLINE)

TRANSMISSION: ATM: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION GEAR SHIFT TYPE: 4FC: ATM, 4-SPEED FLOOR SHIFT

BUILDING CONDITION: CBU: COMPLETELY BUILT UNIT

NO.OF DOORS: 4D: 4-DOOR

*Who would your brother be and also a member here I gather?

My 4Runner is a result of attending a Pismo Jamboree. Thanks guys.

Well I can tell you you have a Sport Edition. This comes with bigger brakes so you cannot downsize wheels without some mods. You can increase tire size to 275 x 70 x 17 without too much drama but will need a mild lift 1.5" or so. The Gibson exhaust can be rather noisy. I prefer Magnaflow 22" for a daily driver. The air box kit gets you nothing other than maybe more noise and less filtration. The suspension will be XREAS which means you are limited to a spacer lift unless you disconnect the system, and then you can go to coilovers etc. If your in SoCal and want to meet up sometime, pm me. We can chat and discuss topics in relation to mods, or just ask away here. My truck is the same model as your BTW. Enjoy.
    Mark<br />04 4Runner SE, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 35&quot; BFG&#39;s, ARB lockers frnt and rear, 4.56 Gears, SW Sliders &amp; Bullbar, Smittybilt 10000lb winch, custom susp, 1.5&quot; 4Crawler BL, Kurt Trailing Arms, Cobra 75WXST CB radio, 4ft Firestick, Yaesu FT-7800 2m/70cm Ham Radio, Sat. Radio.

PS - achilles heel to watch out for

1. Front passenger axle bracket can break under some hard wheeling. Its common to reinforce this item.

2. Leaking transfer case at the black box (solenoid) that requires pulling the case and repairing a 20c seal from the inside! ask me how I know!

3. Creaking/slipping seat rail - weld break

These are the main items which seem to cause problems along the way. I don't think you have a sunroof which is a good thing. They leak.

You may want to check mileage and whether the timing belt has been done. Should be done around 100,000miles.
    Mark<br />04 4Runner SE, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 35&quot; BFG&#39;s, ARB lockers frnt and rear, 4.56 Gears, SW Sliders &amp; Bullbar, Smittybilt 10000lb winch, custom susp, 1.5&quot; 4Crawler BL, Kurt Trailing Arms, Cobra 75WXST CB radio, 4ft Firestick, Yaesu FT-7800 2m/70cm Ham Radio, Sat. Radio.

Quote Originally Posted by expatoz
    Well I can tell you you have a Sport Edition.
    Aww Poo, the hood scoop gave it away right ?
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    My 4Runner is a result of attending a Pismo Jamboree. Thanks guys.
    That's good Mike and thanks for sharing with the group. Admitting you have a problem is the first step.

Quote Originally Posted by expatoz
    Well I can tell you you have a Sport Edition. This comes with bigger brakes so you cannot downsize wheels without some mods. You can increase tire size to 275 x 70 x 17 without too much drama but will need a mild lift 1.5" or so. The Gibson exhaust can be rather noisy. I prefer Magnaflow 22" for a daily driver. The air box kit gets you nothing other than maybe more noise and less filtration. The suspension will be XREAS which means you are limited to a spacer lift unless you disconnect the system, and then you can go to coilovers etc. If your in SoCal and want to meet up sometime, pm me. We can chat and discuss topics in relation to mods, or just ask away here. My truck is the same model as your BTW. Enjoy.
    Thanks for all the info guys! I couldn't find anything on the documentation from the dealer regarding model, but I did look under at the shocks and did notice the "brake line" looking things coming out of them. Also noticed the new insurance paper and it says Sport on it. At this point, I think I'm just going to plan on doing the 1.5" body lift. Regarding the tires, I'll look into the larger 275x70x17 expatoz mentioned and see how close it gets. Either that, or I'll stick with the 265x70x17 that are on them now.

So expatoz, what part of SoCal are you in? I live in Chino.

kafene.
    Mark<br />KJ6QXG<br />2004 V8 4Runner 4x4, ToyTec Ultimate Lift, Spydertrax, Yakima roof rack, Gibson exhaust, Stubbs Welding Sliders, P275/70R17 BGF A/T K/O

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast