Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice $$ wise

Need some advice $$ wise

So today came the day when I was going to go shopping for Xmas presents...

Well I decided to check my bank account via the iphone before I walked into a store I planned on going into..

To my dismay, my checking account was unexpectedly low.

I have 26$, And I have about 6 people I need to get presents for. One includes my 6 month old niece.. I just got payed on the 11th, It was an unusual week and I got 228 into my checking. I wont get payed again until the 25th...

And here is the dilemma that's killing me. I've been saving for a crawler box for the past 2.5 months. I have 550 saved up. I get payed every 2 weeks, normal pay is around 500 and I have 100 of that going to the savings each payday. So my calculations put me at late april to buy a built crawler, IF I dont touch my savings at all.. Now, I've normally been very frugal with my cash, I couldn't save up to save my life. So saving up 550 is a bit of an accomplishment. Here's where the moral advice come's in. Knowing that christmas is about not being greedy and giving, What would you do ? It would kill me to see the savings money deplete, knowing that it's going to take that much longer to save for my buy..

Knowing im going to sound like a puss, IDC. Im really on the verge of breaking down, this year was supposed to be the first year I could actually buy people gifts with my own money. IDK what I should do.

Thanks for advice, Yall in a way are my mentors, that's why I've come here for help.

99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Re: Need some advice $$ wise

If this is the year you were suppossed to buy gifts and its weighing on you this much i think you have your answer. Take a few hundred out of savings and buy thoughtful gifts for the 6 people. The amount spent is not what counts. I guess this can be a learning lesson. Things will always come up when it comes to money. Next year you can plan ahead for christmas along with what ever else you want for your truck. Just my 2 cents.
    02 Sport (Sporticus)<br />881 / 906 OME Combo, 275/65/16 Faulken High Country AT&#39;s, Syntheic Fluids,Brembo / Hawk Combo and two car seats for the future wheelers<br /><br />2010 Highlander SE- Wife&#39;s kid transporter.<br /><br />1998 Tacoma- 2.7 liters of fury...after that is pretty plain and stock

That a tough one, especially if you've been working hard to save for something you want.

A lot of people in your position go right to the credit cards; use caution if you go that route.

Your family probably realizes that you're not rolling in dough at this point in your life, so I'm sure theres some understanding there.

Dude, you gotta welder right? Can you make something or do something that is unique to you? My grandpa had this old stump in his backyard he needed removed, so for Christmas one year (no money of course) I hooked my truck to it and pulled it out for him, then covered up the hole and planted grass. He was stoked.

Get creative; you don't need money to show someone appreciation.

Good luck.
    2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4-Dub<br />TRD supercharger,&nbsp; Toytec Coilovers, OME 890&#39;s, 285 Duratracs

I'm really glad I didn't hear you mention anything about credit cards in your post. Honestly I think they are good to have but should be used with a clear head and a lot of responsibility. I don't use a credit card but have one (ok it's used maybe once or twice a year). It's really easy to rack up a balance and if you do that you'll never get your crawler box. Enough of a wanna-be lecture.
    Dip into your savings but use just as much as you need. That's what savings accounts are for. Wait until you've got more responsibilites like a kid, wife, 401K, etc. You'll be glad you have savings. If not to make ends meet during a tight month maybe it'll be for a special gift, emergency or vacation. No doubt your bank account was unexpectanly low because you spent money on something else, and most likely not on presents for relatives. I don't think Christmas is about going out and spending a ton for people. It's about family, friends, blah, blah. Be smart with how much you spend and be thankful you've got people to buy presents for.
    I'm sure you'll get your crawler box soon enough and all will be well. Just know that that crawler box may mean longer and farther trips ($$$), possibly more broken parts ($$$) and who knows maybe you'll impress the hell out of some girl with your crawling skillz out there on the trail and you'll be done for ($$$$$$). You're getting off easy having to buy a few gifts right now.

Sorry didn't want to come off sounding like a dad. Or make it seem like all women require lavish gifts (they don't all but they do end up costing a lot especially in the short run).

You mean you have 7 people you need to gifts for right? Don't forget me!

That crawler is always gonna be available so I'd say get those xmas gifts for your loved ones so you can watch them shine light a bright HID light when they open those xmas gifts! The love and joy you see will be well worth passing up on the crawler. Note that the gifts don't always have to be expensive (except for mine!). It's the thought that counts!!

Btw I want a crawler for xmas so make sure you save up enough $ for me! :P
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

And this is why I came to you guys.
    Let it be known I do not have a credit card, so even that is out of the question as it is..

The 200 bucks I had from this past friday went to gas and just straight up living.. It went so fast I didnt realize it

I need to get something for my sister's BF, My niece, my mom, and my best friend. At bare minimum. I suppose I'll take 100 or so out of the savings. I'll send my sister a CD and a nice card maybe something small.. I need a wallet for my sisters BF (his got stolen a while back), a 40$ massage GC and a promise for dinner for my mom, An outfit and a stuffed animal for the niece. And something for my best friend.. Hopefully I can get away with all of that for 150..

Thank's for the advice guys..
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Gifts can also always be more than a monetary and physical item. Some of the best gifts I have seen involve time spent doing something like a hike in a State Park or even gardening work or home improvements with my Father and Mother.

I've even done "Gift Certificates/Coupons" when money's been really tight and they get to redeem them before March.

As always, remember, "It's the thought that counts."

if you choose the low budget route i used to make fluff fudge (aka easy fudge) for everyone when i was out of cash. you can make a good pile for 10 people with $50 worth of ingredients.
    http://www.marshmallowfluff.com/page...ail_fudge.html
    its hard to screw up and tastes like your willy wonka. i used to leave out the walnuts to save even more money lol

I will echo the rest of the gangs advice and say that the crawler box wont be going anywhere. Yea you want it, but its not like you cant save up for one still if you spend some of the cash.

Buy the gifts, even if its a gift card or such. Your family is much more important than the truck imho. If you can do something they need too thats an excellent gift!

Look on the bright side too, at least your family buys eachother stuff. My family we never buy anything for eachother really.

Bit of money advice too:
    Cut out extraneous spending. No more fast food (or order all dollar menu and skip the frys or drink or something), eat out less overall, pack food, dont waste gas doing 900 little trips-save up for a round trip or do whatever you need in your daily travels. Dont buy junk you really dont need, buy stuff used if possible, etc.

I dont live as frugal as I want, but im close. I only use my tip money to eat out and buy stuff when I am out if its small. I dont really buy junk I dont need (most recent trip I got some nice offbrand tools from the fleamarket every good as the ones they sell at some auto parts store-nothing special, just scrapers and such. What cost me 29 bucks woulda cost like 3x as much in pepboys). I mean shoot I have needed a dremel for years and either borrowed or done without for a long time. Finally went out and got one last week cause I needed it to remove something. And then I bought an older model that was cheaper!

Try to hold out for a sale or deal too. I waited like 6 weeks for this kid to keep dropping the price on his atv I wanted. Yea it needed some work but it had some nice aftermarket parts and I got it cheap. Instead of buying a fancy dewalt jigsaw i bought a B&D cheapie for 20 bucks from wallyworld and its been fine-same goes for my B&D grinder from WW. I bought alot of tools after or during xmas season on sale for deals too!

As for credit cards, you really only need one for an emergency. I have a few but hardly use them anymore. What I did (and ya gotta be carefull with this situation) was get ones that had 0% interest for a year and rack them up with items I needed/wanted that I usually couldnt afford. Then I paid the minimum plus another 100 bucks every month or more. Worked for me but not everyone. Now a days I only use them for emergencies, thats why I have a debit card.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Good advice CJM! I had a thread on here from a good while back about "help me save $"..
    I don't eat out much. I just don't make much, and what little bit I do save is sometimes tough.

Anyway, I've decided to dip into the savings account a bit and hopefully just take it easy, and not buy everyone the most expensive thing I can find.. Sure it'll push the crawler back an extra 2 weeks but once I get it, it will be that much sweeter

Jason, you are awesome. 1 more person I have to shop for

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast