Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's a good coil and shock set-up?

What's a good coil and shock set-up?

I just wanted clearance for new 275/70/17 tires. Not sure what the difference is between the 265's besides size (why do people move up to 275's?), but the price difference seems minimal and I don't want to tell myself later, "Damn, I should have gotten the 275's!" I guess I'll do the lift with coils and shocks. Can I do the 2.5" or 3" lift with them and will that be sufficient for the tires? I think that's what the FAQ said I'd need. From the Forum's FAQ's, it says all four corners cost about $750. Is there a particular kind/brand that most people go with? I'm on a 2004 V8 4Runner. I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death, but the search didn't help. I had to narrow my search all the way down to just "lift", and after two pages of posts, I gave up.

Thanks!
    kafene.
    Mark<br />KJ6QXG<br />2004 V8 4Runner 4x4, ToyTec Ultimate Lift, Spydertrax, Yakima roof rack, Gibson exhaust, Stubbs Welding Sliders, P275/70R17 BGF A/T K/O

Re: What's a good coil and shock set-up?

I see a lot of 4th gens with the Toytec setup. Their adjustable front coilovers should put you right where you want to be. It may be out of your price range, but it's worth a look.
    2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4-Dub<br />TRD supercharger,&nbsp; Toytec Coilovers, OME 890&#39;s, 285 Duratracs

keep in mind that since you have a sport edition, you will have to remove the xreas shock system to put this in.

i put in 265/70/17 (a very slightly smaller 32) Revo II&#39;s with just a front leveling kit that cost me like 50 bucks and got to keep my xreas shocks. no need to modify the rear to fit them.

to be honest, a 2.5-3" lift just plain feels TALL to me for a truck you dont plan to wheel, which it doesnt sound like you want to do.

I think you&#39;ll feel the 32&#39;s you want (275/70/17&#39;s are 32&#39;s also) will look dinky with a larger lift.... not to mention your mileage will be slightly worse and your COG will change, something you will feel in corners.

here is how my truck looks, 1" leveling kit up front, stock rear, no other suspension change needed, fits the 32&#39;s nicely:

[img width=800 height=600]http://kidmoe.com/06sport/spacer/tires.jpg[/img]
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Quote Originally Posted by Okie81
    I see a lot of 4th gens with the Toytec setup. Their adjustable front coilovers should put you right where you want to be. It may be out of your price range, but it's worth a look.
    Thanks! I'll look at them.

@lee, I WAS actually planning on going off-road with it, which is why I traded in my PreRunner for the 4Runner 4x4. BTW, your black looks really great!

kafene.
    Mark<br />KJ6QXG<br />2004 V8 4Runner 4x4, ToyTec Ultimate Lift, Spydertrax, Yakima roof rack, Gibson exhaust, Stubbs Welding Sliders, P275/70R17 BGF A/T K/O

ah I didn't realize you planned on wheeling... if that's the case, go with a 33, skip the 32's.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

I&#39;m bias because I own the company but I&#39;d recommend this to you http://stores.overlandwarehouse.com/...Categories.bok

Having wheeled my truck from new (04/04) till now, with several different suspension setups and a lot of testing and refinement, I believe we have the best setup out there for a Daily Driver cum Warrior Wheeler.

Anyhow, check it out and any questions, ask away.

Cheers
    Mark

[edit - Good Times - fixed bad url]
    Mark<br />04 4Runner SE, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 35&quot; BFG&#39;s, ARB lockers frnt and rear, 4.56 Gears, SW Sliders &amp; Bullbar, Smittybilt 10000lb winch, custom susp, 1.5&quot; 4Crawler BL, Kurt Trailing Arms, Cobra 75WXST CB radio, 4ft Firestick, Yaesu FT-7800 2m/70cm Ham Radio, Sat. Radio.

Quote Originally Posted by expatoz
    I&#39;m bias because I own the company but I&#39;d recommend this to you http://stores.overlandwarehouse.com/...Categories.bok

Having wheeled my truck from new (04/04) till now, with several different suspension setups and a lot of testing and refinement, I believe we have the best setup out there for a Daily Driver cum Warrior Wheeler.

Anyhow, check it out and any questions, ask away.

Cheers
    Mark

[edit - Good Times - fixed bad url]
    It's okay... we're all biased depending on what our preferences are It set looks beefy, but boy that's a hit on my pocket book. I started wanting to spend around $750, then the Toytec's squeezed up to about $1190. I don't know how much I should spending figuring I'm only going to be doing "basic" off-roading. Nothing too serious. I do plan on getting a front bumper and winch, if that makes much of a difference between Toytec's coilovers and Overlands.

kafene.

My view is the Toytec is great value for money. You will probably find it insufficient for carrying a winch/bumper combo. The Overland setup will probably be too stiff for a non-winch/bumper combo. depending upon what you are willing to compromise on.

My suggestion would be a spacer lift for now. You can go a LONG way with a spacer lift and the XREAS is excellent for onroad performance.

When you decide on upgrading to a winch/bumper you will really want to consider the weight carrying capacity of your suspension, especially if you starting carrying a few spares, camping gear, family or friends...
    Mark<br />04 4Runner SE, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 35&quot; BFG&#39;s, ARB lockers frnt and rear, 4.56 Gears, SW Sliders &amp; Bullbar, Smittybilt 10000lb winch, custom susp, 1.5&quot; 4Crawler BL, Kurt Trailing Arms, Cobra 75WXST CB radio, 4ft Firestick, Yaesu FT-7800 2m/70cm Ham Radio, Sat. Radio.

Quote Originally Posted by expatoz
    My view is the Toytec is great value for money. You will probably find it insufficient for carrying a winch/bumper combo. The Overland setup will probably be too stiff for a non-winch/bumper combo. depending upon what you are willing to compromise on.

My suggestion would be a spacer lift for now. You can go a LONG way with a spacer lift and the XREAS is excellent for onroad performance.

When you decide on upgrading to a winch/bumper you will really want to consider the weight carrying capacity of your suspension, especially if you starting carrying a few spares, camping gear, family or friends...
    I really do like the way XREAS handles. The truck handles SO much better than my Taco. It's hard trying to plan when you don't have the money to get everything all at once! 8) I'm pretty sure I'll eventually get a bumper/winch. What I DON'T know is exactly WHEN I'll have the money for it!

kafene.

Yeah, in my opinion don't spend your money for a while on an expensive setup. Throw a spacer lift on and get a sense of what you might eventually like to do wheeling wise with this truck. Some people find that the occasional day get away is enough. Others like a weekend camp, and others go off exploring for week or more. Then there's choices about touring, rock crawling, desert blasting etc, all having their own "functions". I wheeled for about a year with spacers and went just about everywhere except places where I knew body damage was highly possible. A good spacer ligt will give you the clearance you need for larger tires and ground clearance for obstacles for a very small outlay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast