Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's a good coil and shock set-up?

Re: What's a good coil and shock set-up?

really what you need to do is decide what kind of wheeling you want to do.

have you ever wheeled before??

If you really want to do "basic" stuff for a good long while like you seem to be pointing to now, then a simple, cheap spacer lift and 33's will last you quite a while.

I would honestly never advise going with a 32 for a truck you plan to wheel, for no better reason than the 33 fits with a larger lift and youre already shelling out the cash.

So, imo, if I were you I would put a 2.5-3" spacer lift in with 33's and call it good till I figured out what to do next.

Sliders should also be put on sooner than later because you will hate yourself if you land on a rock and dent your rockers. That tends to happen even when you least expect, too!

Then you'll start to worry about other protection, like skid plates (bud built) and bumpers... front is a wide range of options, rear as far as I can tell, is a limited field.

Then you'll start wanting more height because all this armor brought your rig down a bit, and you've gotten used to 3" and 33's, so you'll start considering pricier options that give you more flex, you'll detach your swaybar, etc etc etc.

THAT'S when you'll start to have real plans.

can you tell I've been here before
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Quote Originally Posted by lee
    really what you need to do is decide what kind of wheeling you want to do.

have you ever wheeled before??

If you really want to do "basic" stuff for a good long while like you seem to be pointing to now, then a simple, cheap spacer lift and 33's will last you quite a while.

I would honestly never advise going with a 32 for a truck you plan to wheel, for no better reason than the 33 fits with a larger lift and youre already shelling out the cash.

So, imo, if I were you I would put a 2.5-3" spacer lift in with 33's and call it good till I figured out what to do next.

Sliders should also be put on sooner than later because you will hate yourself if you land on a rock and dent your rockers. That tends to happen even when you least expect, too!

Then you'll start to worry about other protection, like skid plates (bud built) and bumpers... front is a wide range of options, rear as far as I can tell, is a limited field.

Then you'll start wanting more height because all this armor brought your rig down a bit, and you've gotten used to 3" and 33's, so you'll start considering pricier options that give you more flex, you'll detach your swaybar, etc etc etc.

THAT'S when you'll start to have real plans.

can you tell I've been here before
    I can't WAIT to see the money flying out of my wallet! Getting worried already! :\
    Mark<br />KJ6QXG<br />2004 V8 4Runner 4x4, ToyTec Ultimate Lift, Spydertrax, Yakima roof rack, Gibson exhaust, Stubbs Welding Sliders, P275/70R17 BGF A/T K/O

Quote Originally Posted by expatoz
    I&#39;m bias because I own the company but I&#39;d recommend this to you http://stores.overlandwarehouse.com/...Categories.bok

Having wheeled my truck from new (04/04) till now, with several different suspension setups and a lot of testing and refinement, I believe we have the best setup out there for a Daily Driver cum Warrior Wheeler.

Anyhow, check it out and any questions, ask away.

Cheers
    Mark

[edit - Good Times - fixed bad url]
    Wow this is the first time I have seen your suspension. Have you done many Cruisers?
    AZFJ Founding Memberwww.wikidfj.com&nbsp; under construction<br />http://wikidfj.blogspot.com/<br />Member build page<br />http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...other-gal.html

I&#39;m bias because I own the company but I&#39;d recommend this to you http://stores.overlandwarehouse.com/...Categories.bok

Having wheeled my truck from new (04/04) till now, with several different suspension setups and a lot of testing and refinement, I believe we have the best setup out there for a Daily Driver cum Warrior Wheeler.

Cheers
    Mark

have you ran the Toytec Lifts Ultimate kit ??? thats what Iv been running on the 99, and loved it so much, I got it on the 04, lol
    great product, great customer service, and fast shipping...
    Id love to see the Overland stuff in person, more so on the trail. Toytecs stuff is proven, Im sure the Overland is killer stuff also, I have NO doubts about that, I just what someone here to get it, so we can compair, on the trail, lol
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Quote Originally Posted by puulboy

Cheers
    Mark

Wow this is the first time I have seen your suspension. Have you done many Cruisers?
    No, we haven't done l/c's YET. Coming.
    Mark<br />04 4Runner SE, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 35&quot; BFG&#39;s, ARB lockers frnt and rear, 4.56 Gears, SW Sliders &amp; Bullbar, Smittybilt 10000lb winch, custom susp, 1.5&quot; 4Crawler BL, Kurt Trailing Arms, Cobra 75WXST CB radio, 4ft Firestick, Yaesu FT-7800 2m/70cm Ham Radio, Sat. Radio.

I should clarify and say, Have you done many FJ Cruisers? I would be interested in talking to you about your suspension

thanks
    Don
    AZFJ Founding Memberwww.wikidfj.com&nbsp; under construction<br />http://wikidfj.blogspot.com/<br />Member build page<br />http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...other-gal.html

Quote Originally Posted by puulboy
    I should clarify and say, Have you done many FJ Cruisers? I would be interested in talking to you about your suspension

thanks
    Don
    Sorry for the late reply. For some reason I don't always get email notifications.

We're testing the FJ at the moment. Give us an email at info@overlandwarehouse.com for more info and we can talk. I'll have Andries involved in the discussion as he leads the suspension development.

Cheers
    Mark
    Mark<br />04 4Runner SE, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 35&quot; BFG&#39;s, ARB lockers frnt and rear, 4.56 Gears, SW Sliders &amp; Bullbar, Smittybilt 10000lb winch, custom susp, 1.5&quot; 4Crawler BL, Kurt Trailing Arms, Cobra 75WXST CB radio, 4ft Firestick, Yaesu FT-7800 2m/70cm Ham Radio, Sat. Radio.

I sent you an email today
    thanks
    Don

My view is the Toytec is great value for money. You will probably find it insufficient for carrying a winch/bumper combo.
    oops. You got that wrong.
    It's all good tho!!

We carry a couple different spring selections actually for our Coil overs. But our standard is a 600# coil, which we have found can handle the weight of a bumper/winch combo. But, depending on the vehicle, we do carry a 650# coil and a 700# coil, all plenty to handle any bumper winch combo you throw at it.
    Dylan<br />---------------<br />www.toyteclifts.com<br />dylan@toyteclifts.com

Quote Originally Posted by kafene
    I just wanted clearance for new 275/70/17 tires. Not sure what the difference is between the 265&#39;s besides size (why do people move up to 275&#39;s?), but the price difference seems minimal and I don&#39;t want to tell myself later, "Damn, I should have gotten the 275&#39;s!" I guess I&#39;ll do the lift with coils and shocks. Can I do the 2.5" or 3" lift with them and will that be sufficient for the tires? I think that&#39;s what the FAQ said I&#39;d need. From the Forum&#39;s FAQ&#39;s, it says all four corners cost about $750. Is there a particular kind/brand that most people go with? I&#39;m on a 2004 V8 4Runner. I&#39;m sure this topic has been beaten to death, but the search didn&#39;t help. I had to narrow my search all the way down to just "lift", and after two pages of posts, I gave up.

Thanks!
    kafene.
    These folks have given you some pretty good advice!

I currently run a 265 on my 3 inch Ultimate Lift kit on a 01 DC Tacoma. People go with larger tires to get more ground clearance and for look. I, like yourself, would like a little larger tire but not one that takes a hit on the gas mileage or the Horse Power, which is why I&#39;m only going to go to a 275 also. You can fit those 275&#39;s with 2.5 inches of lift no problem.

Like previously mentioned, since you have the XREAS suspension, you can either remove the system, (which plenty of people do) and go with an adjustable coil over or just a new coil over by like, Old Man Emu; or you could keep the XREAS suspension and &#39;try&#39; the whole lifting thing and go with a spacer.

But here&#39;s the real question, you already mention budget, but, how long do you plan on keeping the vehicle? 2 years, 10 years. If you plan on keeping the vehicle for any good length of time, my suggestion would be to upgrade the XREAS to an adjustable coil over and not look back. If the Ultimate Kit is out of your price range, I would also highly recommend the Old Man Emu complete suspension kit: http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...art&Itemid=72. Worth the money also, but it just won&#39;t &#39;last as long&#39; as say our gear would.

The difference between the two is, warranty, ours comes with a Life time warranty, where as OME&#39;s comes with just a 2 year limited warranty. Our front coil over is adjustable, (which I promise is nice, especially if your going to be adding a bumper/winch down the road) where the OME is not.

I hope that helped out and not confuse you any more, as I know this stuff can be way confusing.

Hit me back if you do have any questions!

Happy New Year!
    Dylan<br />---------------<br />www.toyteclifts.com<br />dylan@toyteclifts.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12