Thread: Last day at school

Last day at school

Monday was the last day of school for the fall term. our instructor let us to have the last class at his open wheel race shop. one of my classmates' project is a pair of sliders for his single cab taco.

they are made of 1.75 OD HREW tubing, JD bender with hydrulic conversion power-in, power-out(awesome!!). notched on a vertical mill. I'm doing the welding and bending.

it's all tacked up, I'll be going back to his shop to finish the welding next monday. once these are done, they will be welded to the frame sometime during X'mas.

this is the very first time I'm involved in making sliders, I wish I have taken down the process, but time was limited, here are some poser picturs.

that's the instructor's FJ80('90) in the background, has a blown HG

the rear of this thing hit the wall at 150mph, but still bada$$

look at that ring and pinion

engine stand which can hold a 8.0L big block. the top ring is 3/8" wall DOM, and when finished, it can rotate and lock at any position 1-360 degrees.

94 4Runner, SR5 3.0V6, 4WD, 5spd: SOLD<br />99 4Runner, SR5, 3.4L 4WD, 5spd.&nbsp;&nbsp; full SS 1.2 lift, RedLine Fluids, Marline Shifter seat, BruceTS rear bumper, roof busket, Marlin 1200 Clutch, hitch mount tire carrier, Tundra brakes, Brembo rotors.&nbsp; Stubb&#039;s sliders, Lightforce 240, ARB Taco bar, BruceTS rear bumper, stainless steel skid plate.&nbsp; ScanGaugeII, Hankook AT 265/75 LC80 wheels.<br />04 4Runner, V6 SR5 4WD, 3rd Gen. LTD wheels, BFG AT 265/75, FJC coils and silver Bilstein shocks, Scion H/U.

Re: Last day at school

Thread fail because there's no pics of said single cab tacoma..

Kidding.
    As I was saying to myself, Whats going on with that grey LC80, I read what the prognosis was.. That blows..

Those sliders look pretty good dude, Be sure yo post pics once they are mounted
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

it's gonna take a while till it's completely done. school is closed so we can only work on it at our instructor's shop. being an open wheel race team, his shop doesn't have 2 things, lift and mig welder.

the race cars are all built on the grond, out of carbon fiber and fiber glass, chormoly, no lift is needed. that yellow bar thing in the first picture, is actually a jack stand for the front end of the car.

as for the mig welder, no mig welding is allowed on that type of car, if one mig bead is found on the car during pre-race inspection, the car is autometicly disqualified. being in the midwest, the rusty frame is too much for tig to handle. plus, it's too damn cold to do it laying on the ground
    94 4Runner, SR5 3.0V6, 4WD, 5spd: SOLD<br />99 4Runner, SR5, 3.4L 4WD, 5spd.&nbsp;&nbsp; full SS 1.2 lift, RedLine Fluids, Marline Shifter seat, BruceTS rear bumper, roof busket, Marlin 1200 Clutch, hitch mount tire carrier, Tundra brakes, Brembo rotors.&nbsp; Stubb&#039;s sliders, Lightforce 240, ARB Taco bar, BruceTS rear bumper, stainless steel skid plate.&nbsp; ScanGaugeII, Hankook AT 265/75 LC80 wheels.<br />04 4Runner, V6 SR5 4WD, 3rd Gen. LTD wheels, BFG AT 265/75, FJC coils and silver Bilstein shocks, Scion H/U.

So your tig welding the sliders ?
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Nice work on the sliders... Send a set that pretty to Alabama?
    --Chris--<br />Facebook Me!<br />1996 Toyota 4Runner Limited / Sonoran Steel 1.2 Lift / 4Crawler Offroad 2&quot; Body Lift / ProComp 8069 16x8 / 315-75 GoodYear Duratracs / Modified ARB front / BruceTS Rear / WABFAB custom stuffs

everything will be tig welded except when mount the sliders to the truck frame. too rusty and tig is not good at filling gaps, mig puts more meat on the joint.

the most time consuming part of the job is notching. everything else is a breeze.