Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for older CAD software for home construction use

Looking for older CAD software for home construction use

So i know there is quite a few engineers out here. And most likely some who use CAD. I rent a space for my office from a General Contractor. He does remodels and what not. Today i stopped in his office and saw that he was drawing (pretty good too) a plan for a room addition in Ms Paint. I asked him why he didn't use CAD, said it cost too much(2-3k) and what he really wanted was an old version since his needs were pretty basic ( building plans to what ever scale the permit people want at the time). He tried that one you can get at the computer store for like $30, but said it was to cumbersome and hard to use effectively. So basically the problem he said is he doesnt know where to find an inexpensive old version that he could learn on and then use for his plans.

So, Does anyone have, or know where i can point my buddy to get ahold of an older CAD program to run on a P4 w 2gig ram? He is an older GC which is surprising he does as much on a PC as he does, which is cool.

Thanks for the help, tips and or advice.
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

Re: Looking for older CAD software for home construction use

search for turboCAD. They have some quite reasonable prices.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

That's what I'm talkin about. I wouldn't have idea one on who makes what. So i turn to the collective Genius here.

Thank ya.

I'll show him this but keep em coming if you have another ideas.
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

Glad to help. We use turbocad for our engineering work, thus far we have no major complaints. I'm sure we're going to be upgrading to autocad not to far from now, but TC has worked great for the last year or two.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

First software that pops up in my head is AutoCAD LT.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

by far my favorite old cad software is a program called floor plan plus 3d, v3. after version 3, they started getting really bad, but version 3 was awesome!!! my dad who is completely computer illiterate still uses it today.

its a bit hard to come by, and is meant to run on windows 95 or 98, so on modern computers it will unitize 100% of the cpu. other than that, works great.

if you are interested, let me know, i will give you a place where you might be able to find it.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by mastacox
    First software that pops up in my head is AutoCAD LT.
    AutoCAD LT would be a good place to start. It will cost ~$900 but that is way cheaper than the full version of ACAD. Autodesk also has a free 30-day trial for ACAD LT so he can actually see if he likes it..
    Lance<br />2001 4Runner Limited 4X4 (Sonoran Steel Stocker)<br />315/75R16 MT/Rs | MT Classic IIs | Dual ARBs/4.88s | (F) 5125/Tundra Coils (R) 5125/LC Coils | 4Crawler 1.5&quot; BL | Aisin Manual Hubs | Slee Sliders | Sonoran Steel Rear Bumper | TJM T-15 w/ Warn M8000

AutoCAD LT.

I have LT 2005. I think I paid $500-$600 for it (directly from AutoDesk) and he could do anything he needs with it.

LT is 2-Dimensions only where the full-blown AutoCAD has 3-D Modeling.

Also, you can scout eBay and get AutoCAD 14 or an older version of LT and he'd be fine with those as well. I imagine that you could get something like that for $100 or maybe less. With the newer stuff (LT 2005+), you have to register it online for it to work. You only get 5 registrations before you have to call the 1-800 number and get special access. That sucks when you have had 3 HD failures + other hardware issues in the last 3 years and you've already used up your 5 registrations like I have.

-andy

There's a few out there for him to use and as a GC he certainly doesn't need a $2-3K piece of software because there's alot more out there now than there ever was. If he's only using them to create general plans (not doing any seriously complex 3D rendering or anything like that) then here's a few I'd recommend.

TurboCAD Pro V12 - ($500) You can get the Deluxe version but for a GC it's too watered down IMHO, here's a comparison of the two side by side http://www.turbocad.com/whatsnew_v12.asp?mcid=370 ). The full version is quite sophisticated and can do alot of things including 3D rendering if needed.

The rest are from Autodesk

AutoCAD 2007 full or Architectural Desktop 2007 - (very expensive) This is probably what the GC was talking about when he mentioned software being $2-3K per seat, it's very expensive but has excellent 2D and 3D capability. For a GC they are probably overkill though.

AutoCAD LT 2007 - ($800) This is really a standard in the drafting field and has been around for a long time. If you're looking for a really professional drafting tool, this would be the better choice (has more features to save you time when drafting like auto dims or perspective view).

AutoSketch 9 - ($100) This is strictly a 2D program and it's quite limited but if you need something really cheap and will never need to transfer drawing files or do any 3D work, then this program might be ok.

Either TurboCAD Pro or AutoCAD LT would be my choices for the GC, but be careful buying student versions because they often have features cut out. You're better off paying more for the non-academic version (at least with AutoCAD) because when you print stuff out it will put "Student" all over your drawings and often tech support goes seriously lacking when you call and give them the S/N and it shows student version. Neither is good in a professional setting.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

I've used AutoCAD 2000i Architectural Desktop. Not sure how much it costs now, but it was pretty expensive new. Good program though.

Just my $.02.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast