Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Squeaking belts

Re: Squeaking belts

I consider it audible feedback that they are there, and working...
    2006 4Runner Sport Edition V8
    2011 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by arjan
    I consider it audible feedback that they are there, and working...
    I love it!
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

arjan i feel the same way but my wife hated it. Mine would squeal when i was raining or if the air was really damp. I dont believe mine were tightened to proper spec when they were put on. I was told they need to be tightened up every oil change. I promptly explained that the factory belts had 100,000 miles on them an never squealed. They fixed it but from the look i recieved i am not to sure they want me back...lol
    02 Sport (Sporticus)<br />881 / 906 OME Combo, 275/65/16 Faulken High Country AT&#39;s, Syntheic Fluids,Brembo / Hawk Combo and two car seats for the future wheelers<br /><br />2010 Highlander SE- Wife&#39;s kid transporter.<br /><br />1998 Tacoma- 2.7 liters of fury...after that is pretty plain and stock

Quote Originally Posted by gilby4runner
    Mine would squeal when it was raining or if the air was really damp.
    Mine do that too...drives me nuts when I start the truck up and it's raining outside.

Twice now, I've noticed that when I've gotten in my 4Runner and cranked it up while it was raining cats and dogs, my PS would take a minute to kick in. After a few hard manual turns of the steering wheel, it finally began to work. I probably should tighten my belts...
    2002 4Runner Sport 4WD
    My 4Runner Profile: Click Me

Greetings from a newb to your site.... going to look at a '96 runner tomorrow..... pics look GREAT, hope it runs out as well. Any way, had to register when I read this thread...... my dad-in-law was a wrench for 45 years, and had a few tricks he let me in on. Fixing squeaky belts was one of them: WITH ENGINE OFF, CAREFULLY take a rag, and get it good and damp with old school brake fluid. Wipe it on the working side of your belts..... you might want to do it in a few spots. When you start it up, it might take a few minutes to work itself over the entire surface, but when it does, no more squeaks! Has never failed me. BE CAUTIOUS! Brake fluid WILL remove paint. It's nasty stuff on skin, too, but it absorbs moisture out of the air, as well as being very kind to rubber, and being kinda sticky. The perfect belt dressing. Hope Ii get that runner!! Already dreaming up mods for her.
    Let me know if the treatment works out for you! (Dad-in-law claims you do it every other oil change, and you'll never replace a belt!!)

Greg in Michigan
    99 Camry for now

We'll see. I haven't had time to check it out or do anything. I just smirk every morning when I fire her up.

I may have to give the ol' brake fluid wipe down a try then...
    2002 4Runner Sport 4WD
    My 4Runner Profile: Click Me

I went through and tightened my belts this weekend and there was no squeaking this morning. The morning air was cold and damp so it was a good test. All the belts seemed to have decent movement in them but I gave them one more little turn. I also loosened and re-tightened and aligned my York and belt. I was thinking it was the York belt all the time but the old belts squeaked the same and it was before I had the compressor.

Goodyear Gatorback Belts or O/E's. If need be, try this trick my Grandfather taught me that still works today, a little Pepsi or Coke Cola dripped onto the belts. It evaporates off and leaves a coating that will lubricate the belts without allowing slippage or affect the integrity of things.

These are the factory belts. Actually I think the York belt is a Goodyear. Things were good for one day, it squeaked again this morning (raining outside). I guess I'll just have to get used to my hooptie squeaking.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast