Thread: CL - 91 Toyota 4runner 4X4 - Turbo Diesel - Solid Axle - $9500 (Paso Robles, CA.

CL - 91 Toyota 4runner 4X4 - Turbo Diesel - Solid Axle - $9500 (Paso Robles, CA.

My signature

Re: CL - 91 Toyota 4runner 4X4 - Turbo Diesel - Solid Axle - $9500 (Paso Robles, CA.

Sounds like a nice rig. When the seller says "2LT Diesel - No smog" I wonder if he means it's exempt from smog or that it cannot be smogged. I believe it's the later of the two since Toyota stopped putting 2LTs in US trucks in 86 and the engine has to be newer then the truck for a smog legal swap in California...

Re: CL - 91 Toyota 4runner 4X4 - Turbo Diesel - Solid Axle - $9500 (Paso Robles,

Quote Originally Posted by strykersd
    Sounds like a nice rig. When the seller says "2LT Diesel - No smog" I wonder if he means it's exempt from smog or that it cannot be smogged. I believe it's the later of the two since Toyota stopped putting 2LTs in US trucks in 86 and the engine has to be newer then the truck for a smog legal swap in California...
    I think that diesel engines are exempt from being smogged:

Quote Originally Posted by www.smogngo.com
    Some vehicles are completely exempt

All 1975 and older model year vehicles are exempt from all aspects of the Smog Check program, but owners of these vehicles are required by law to keep their emissions systems intact. Vehicles built in 1975 for the 1976 model year are 1976 vehicles and must be tested accordingly.

Additionally, vehicles with diesel engines, vehicles with two-cycle engines, vehicles with engines smaller than 50 cubic inches of displacement, electric vehicles, and motorcycles are exempt from the Smog Check program.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Re: CL - 91 Toyota 4runner 4X4 - Turbo Diesel - Solid Axle - $9500 (Paso Robles, CA.

Brian, that doesn't pertain to engine swaps though. Last I checked, you can't swap an older engine (gas or diesel) into a '76+ vehicle and have it be street legal smogged, the engine has to be newer than the vehicle. So that diesel would have to be newer than a '91

Also, I think there are other rules pertaining to swapping diesels in CA, otherwise you would see many more swaps just to get around the smog rules.
    My signature

Chris, you're correct about the engine having to be newer than the vehicle. I've checked into the diesel swaps in CA but didn't find any direction. If anyone is interested, check www.4btswap.com . Although the name of the site just pertains to the 4cyl Cummins, they have info about every other type of diesel swap imaginable.
    96 4Runner, 2.7L 4WD<br />&quot;Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition. &quot; - Jefferson

http://www.4btswaps.com/

Corrected link, other link went to spam bs.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX