Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1988 Pickup Transfer Case Knob PICTURE!!!

1988 Pickup Transfer Case Knob PICTURE!!!

If this gets me kicked off, I hope I at least get my answer!! Just bought an 88 4x4 pickup from an old lady. The "sticker" on the transfer case knob is gone, and I can't find anything anywhere to show me what's what on 4high,low, and so on. Even on a parts chain site doesn't even show a replacement OEM knob....and I ordered a manual but not here yet. Can anyone give me a link or post a pic of their knob?? Thanks in advance.

Re: 1988 Pickup Transfer Case Knob PICTURE!!!

Found it! Thought I looked on E-bay, but must not have. I guess E-bay has EVERYTHING! Thanks anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by 4WorkandPlay88
    Can anyone give me . . . a pic of their knob?? Thanks in advance.
    Uhhh - welcome to UY, and no

Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 4WorkandPlay88
    Just bought an 88 4x4 pickup from an old lady. The "sticker" on the transfer case knob is gone, and I can't find anything anywhere to show me what's what on 4high,low, and so on. Even on a parts chain site doesn't even show a replacement OEM knob....and I ordered a manual but not here yet. Can anyone give me a link or post a pic of their knob?? Thanks in advance.
    "Pics or it didn't happen."

Amaurer on IH8mud also makes custom ones for $35 ea in whatever pattern you want engraved.

[img width=800 height=600]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3412/3656434110_5e49d4d48e_b.jpg[/img]

Shouldn't there be a neutral in that Tcase knob ^^ ?
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Thanks for the pic NorCalBorn.....one more quick qestion. When I put it in L4 it will hardly go anywhere, but when it's in H4 it feels good. Any insight?

4wd lo is only used for very slow crawling along, maximum power and super stuck situations. 4wd (hi or lo) should ONLY be used offroad and NEVER EVER EVER on the road unless the road has ice snow, sleet, sand, etc. Never exceed over 50mph (imho) in 4wd hi either, damage can occur. 4wd hi can be activated in any gear, going any mph under 50mph if you take your foot off the gas and shift the lever. 4wd lo should only be engaged with the truck in Neutral or out of gear and or Park (depending on auto or manual trans) as to prevent binding.

When wheeling I only used it as an engine brake and spent 90% of the trail in 4wd hi.

Further more you should only use 4wd (lo or hi) if its slippery out. Be it ice, snow, very heavy rain, mud, sand, etc. Never in dry pavement as it will cause the driveline (your driveshafts and u-joints, cv axles and such) to bind horribly and can cause damage.

Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    4wd lo is only used for very slow crawling along, maximum power and super stuck situations. 4wd (hi or lo) should ONLY be used offroad and NEVER EVER EVER on the road unless the road has ice snow, sleet, sand, etc. Never exceed over 50mph (imho) in 4wd hi either, damage can occur. 4wd hi can be activated in any gear, going any mph under 50mph if you take your foot off the gas and shift the lever. 4wd lo should only be engaged with the truck in Neutral or out of gear and or Park (depending on auto or manual trans) as to prevent binding.

When wheeling I only used it as an engine brake and spent 90% of the trail in 4wd hi.

Further more you should only use 4wd (lo or hi) if its slippery out. Be it ice, snow, very heavy rain, mud, sand, etc. Never in dry pavement as it will cause the driveline (your driveshafts and u-joints, cv axles and such) to bind horribly and can cause damage.

and if you have a manual trans, DO NOT coast downhill in 4L with you foot on the clutch and transmission in gear - the clutch disc will over rev (due to the gear reduction in the transfer case) and quite possibly shatter
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

...and if you do not have the shift diagram, do not loan your truck to anyone who may try to use 4wd. They will 'F'-up your tranny.
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

ALL good info! Thanks! I tried it out yesterday on my muddy driveway(no gravel yet) 4H worked good, but when I put it in 4L it would hardly go anywhere, felt like clutch was slipping? Does that mean 4L is messed up? Thanks to all that take the time to help!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast