Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1988 Pickup Transfer Case Knob PICTURE!!!

Re: 1988 Pickup Transfer Case Knob PICTURE!!!

By hardly go anywhere, do you mean the engine reved high but the truck only moved slowly? Not sure how much experience you have with 4wd, but that would be the extra gear reduction in 4 LOW (much like using a lower gear) -or- any possibility you had the transfer case in neutral (position before it goes into 4L)?
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Yes it will go REALLY slow, your gears are super reduced so you can crawl along.

I had a man trans 22RE 4Runner awhile back and you couldnt go anywhere with it in 4lo but offroad and SLOW..
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by corax
    and if you have a manual trans, DO NOT coast downhill in 4L with you foot on the clutch and transmission in gear - the clutch disc will over rev (due to the gear reduction in the transfer case) and quite possibly shatter
    It will almost definitely shatter. And it makes a MESS! oops...
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco

It will almost definitely shatter. And it makes a MESS! oops...
    Sounds fun Chris..

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba
    Shouldn&#39;t there be a neutral in that Tcase knob ^^ ?
    Scub may be onto something here..*

Only if you know it is there! Some people park their rigs in double neutral to prevent theft. Only do it on level ground though. Of course it won&#39;t stop someone from easily towing it..D-OH!!

Other reason is the lettering wouldn&#39;t fit unless we shrunk it another size, but by then they&#39;re illegible.

*Workandplay, the shift sequence goes 2hi-4hi-n-4lo.

ie:
    [img width=800 height=600]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3541/3623390902_d9c4f9f57b_b.jpg[/img]

Be sure you&#39;re actually in 4lo, not neutral. Maybe you&#39;re not all the way in 4lo??

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    Sounds fun Chris..
    kinda sounds like a turbo spooling up, I've caught myself doing this once or twice
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Thanks for all the feedback....a buddy told me not to even think about using 4L and to just stick to 4H....so I'll forget all about it. Just wanted to make sure nothing serious was wrong with it. Again, thanks for everyone's time. And while I'm thinking about it. Anyone know the "easiest" way to remove a 2in body lift. I'm going to buy a replacement body mount kit to go back on it. But as far as jacking the body up to remove the blocks and such.?

Pretty simple to remove a body lift.

1. Loosen and remove all nuts on the body mount bolts. They can be accessed by pulling up the carpet.
    2. Once you have all the nuts off, jack the truck up on the punch weld using a 2x4 to spread the load. Make sure its secure. I would personally then take 2 milk crates with jackstands and some 4x4s to make them higher then the 2x4 to spread the load. But you can do it with the jack, however if the jack fails its gonna suck.
    3. Pull out the spacers and replace with the new ones and replace the bolts
    4. Drop it down and tighten then up pretty snug, not to tight or you will tweak the body.
    5. Remove the steering stem extender if it has one.

Your done pretty much. HOWEVER depending on what size tires they may not fit after you remove the lift. If they are 32's they will barely fit but 31's fit better. Anything bigger and that body lift cant come out till you swap to a smaller size.

Sounds simple enough! Yeah, I put new 31's on it the other day so I'll be good on clearance. The lift just doesn't match up for what I need the truck for. Plus, I keep hearing that If I don't change the rear end gears, I'll end up wearing out the clutch. Which makes sense because as it is, I barely have 5th gear. Thanks again!!!

On the 88, I'm not sure if the front bumper goes up with the 2" body lift.
    If that's the case then you need to lower the front bumper BEFORE you lower the body. Check the rear bumper also, if the truck has a bumper for 2" BL lift, then you'll need to mod the bumper or get a new one.
    Do that before you start on the body itself.

Also, for 88, you shold check the door panel to see what gear ratio you have. Stock gear maybe 4:10 which will still be too tall for 31's. There's a lot of folks out there just put on 31 without regearing.
    Your buddy should tell you that 4 LOW should be use for trails.4H should be use for up to 45 MPH.

I take ant-acid to offset green house gas from my 4unner.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast