Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Concealed weapons on college grounds

Concealed weapons on college grounds

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Jim
    Thirty two dead and twenty one injured by one lone shooter... another good reason to allow more consealed permits to carry. If one prof. or student had been armed this all could be a different head line.

My thoughts go out to the families and fellow students who survived this horrible ordeal. This also happend in Iowa City, only the numbers were not as high. TJ
    You honestly believe that armed students and professors in classrooms would be a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by adn3000
    You honestly believe that armed students and professors in classrooms would be a good idea?
    ABSOLUTELY. schools, universities, etc are easy targets. why? because the shooters KNOW, without any doubt, that there isn't as single armed person around.

my prayers go out to the families and friends of those who fell victim to this murdering lunatic.
    -andy

... another good reason to allow more consealed permits to carry. If one prof. or student had been armed this all could be a different head line...
    I have to admit that I thought the exact same thing. It's disgusting that gun control advocates think a "gun free zone" law will keep some sick freak from using one to execute more than 30 innocent lives.

I wonder, if one student had a concealed gun and killed the psycho, would they be prosecuted by the University or hailed as a hero?
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Sad thing is Virginia allows CCW on campus, VT doesnt. 1 person with a CCW could have ended it all.

If everyone carried a gun stuff like this WOULD NOT happen..
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

another good reason to allow more consealed permits to carry. If one prof. or student had been armed this all could be a different head line.
    While a good portion of me agrees with this, I'm hesitant to say that I fully do so. While I think the ability for people to carry concealed weapons would deter the crime, it is up in the air whether it would reduce the number hurt or killed each time. A "one target" hit could result in an all out gun fight where many are injured and so on. That being said, mass murders like this could be stopped before more are hurt or killed.

Now, I DO NOT think that allowing people to carry weapons on campus will let more crimes happen. The fact of the matter is that if some one is going to be as much of a coward as this kid was, the legality of carrying a weapon on campus does not have the slightest impact on their decision. The people who will carry weapons on campus would, 99% of the time, be the responsible ones, the people who have taken the classes, and understand what to do in a bad situation.

At this point, I'm going to stop talking about this in this thread, if anyone is interested in having a discussion about this, contact me via PM or start a thread over in the politics and religion forum where a good debate can take place.

My heart goes out to those who lost their lives, being an engineering student that is almost done with school, I can't imagine what friends and families are going through. So many young people with their lives ahead of them, brilliant, smart people all gone now.

This pathetic human being who committed this horrid crime is the epitome of a coward.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Good point Oly, if you want to debate whether CCW should be allowed on campus, take it somewhere else.

This is a vigil, if you will, for the students, faculty and family of VT.
    1996 4runner SR5- Bunch of goodies that make it clunck<br /><br />2008 Acura TL

Quote Originally Posted by bamachem
    ABSOLUTELY. schools, universities, etc are easy targets. why? because the shooters KNOW, without any doubt, that there isn't as single armed person around.

my prayers go out to the families and friends of those who fell victim to this murdering lunatic.
    What an ignorant statement. I know that it is our right to own firearms and defend ourselves, but guns in a learning environment? Just plain stupid. We are being taught to be rational individuals and being strapped at a university is not a rational idea. Wake up!

What an ignorant statement. I know that it is our right to own firearms and defend ourselves, but guns in a learning environment? Just plain stupid. We are being taught to be rational individuals and being strapped at a university is not a rational idea. Wake up!
    Your statement can be viewed just as ignorant. You think that only irrational individuals are the ones who carry weapons? If learning environments become dangerous, then I would feel safer if we were allowed to carry weapons.

By what you're saying, NOT carrying weapons to a place where shootings can still occur is rational?

Please explain to me how allowing concealed weapons with proper training is worse than not allowing any weapons on campus.

Also, please don't use the excuse that if guns are outlawed on campuses, shootings would not occur, this recent event proves that assumption to be wrong.

Your "wake up" implies that you seem to know better than the person you quoted. So, please, enlighten me. I need to be, "woken up."
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Re: College campuses are really not safe anymore

Quote Originally Posted by oly884

Your statement can be viewed just as ignorant. You think that only irrational individuals are the ones who carry weapons? If learning environments become dangerous, then I would feel safer if we were allowed to carry weapons.

By what you're saying, NOT carrying weapons to a place where shootings can still occur is rational?

Please explain to me how allowing concealed weapons with proper training is worse than not allowing any weapons on campus.

Also, please don't use the excuse that if guns are outlawed on campuses, shootings would not occur, this recent event proves that assumption to be wrong.

Your "wake up" implies that you seem to know better than the person you quoted. So, please, enlighten me. I need to be, "woken up."
    I'm not saying that if guns were not allowed on college campuses a shooting could not occur. I am simply stating that I believe that guns have no place on a college campus, legally or illegally. I would say that a police officer would be the only exception. It seems that everyone believes that we can solve the problem of violence with more violence. I just find it sad that some people's first reaction is to counter one violent attack with another and this is what I believe is ignorant. If you can't figure that out then I can't help you wake up. I apologize if this seems off topic, I too feel for the victims and their families. No more from me.

Re: Concealed weapons on college grounds

Quote Originally Posted by oly884

I'm not saying that if guns were not allowed on college campuses a shooting could not occur. I am simply stating that I believe that guns have no place on a college campus, legally or illegally. I would say that a police officer would be the only exception. It seems that everyone believes that we can solve the problem of violence with more violence. I just find it sad that some people's first reaction is to counter one violent attack with another and this is what I believe is ignorant. If you can't figure that out then I can't help you wake up. I apologize if this seems off topic, I too feel for the victims and their families. No more from me.
    Clearly not every one believes that violence can be solved with more violence. However, there will always be cases where the only way to stop violence is to perform a violent act, it's just that simple. "Talking" works, but in the case of irrational people, it does not. Do you honestly think that Hitler would have stopped killing all the Jews if people had just talked to him?

So, you believe that some people's first reaction to counter one violent attack is to counter with another violent attack is ignorant? Do you realize that saying this is viewed as ignorant by many people?

May I then ask what should be done when a 23 year old kid opens fire on classrooms full of innocent people who have no means of defending themselves?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast