Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Concealed weapons on college grounds

Re: Concealed weapons on college grounds

Quote Originally Posted by oly884
    Quote Originally Posted by adn3000
    Simply put, I do not want to be in class with students carrying concealed weapons. As noted above, the more people carry guns, the more opportunities there will be for violent confrontations. Never did I say that talking would be a more effective solution to stopping violence. I think that the best way to decrease violence is to educate and instill better morals and values into current and future generations. I know that there will always be people out there that have problems and commit murders. That is something that our society will always deal with. I realize that many people may not agree with me and if that makes me ignorant, so be it. And the Hitler thing, come on man.
    I'm not going to disagree that there are PLENTY of people that I don't want to be sitting next to who are carrying. And I do realize that there are cases where more people will be hurt as opposed to walk away free from injury.

I fully agree that we need to instill better morals in our future generations, but lets be honest with each other, do you see this happening? This doesn't mean that I'm not going to do my part and instill good morals in my future children.

I don't mean to call you ignorant, I realize that you have different beliefs, I just hope you realize that people other than you have differing views on the matter.

The hitler comment was directed at what you said,

I just find it sad that some people's first reaction is to counter one violent attack with another and this is what I believe is ignorant
    I said it to simply put what you are saying in context. Clearly hitler would have not stopped and it took violence to accomplish this. I'm not saying that every situation needs to be dealt with equally and oppositely, however, there are cases where it simply is needed.
    Fair enough. I usually log on to these sites to gain knowledge about my Runner, but when I saw the thread related to the VT thing I couldn't help myself. I'll know better for next time to keep it about Toyotas. I do respect your opinions and even agree with you in some cases, no disrespect intended.

No disrespect meant either.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4
    As noted above, the more people carry guns, the more opportunities there will be for violent confrontations. Never did I say that talking would be a more effective solution to stopping violence. I think that the best way to decrease violence is to educate and instill better morals and values into current and future generations.
    Sounds pretty idealistic to me and in the mean time, I will be getting my CCW and carrying whenever I can.
    Good for you.

I have to agree with Oly here, I believe that those who are qualified, trained, and go through the process of getting concealed weapons permit and would carry on campus would help prevent so many deaths.

I usually log on to these sites to gain knowledge about my Runner, but when I saw the thread related to the VT thing I couldn't help myself. I'll know better for next time to keep it about Toyotas.
    Why? That's what this forum is for, to express each of our political views no matter which side we're on. Yes, there are more pro-gun people on this site than anti-gun, but we pride ourselves in keeping these debates mature and without personal attacks.

Remember, the object of a debate is not to change the mind of your opponent, but to change the mind of the audience. And above all, have fun at doing it.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

One person, appropriately motivated and equipped ALWAYS can make a difference.

This is sad, evil is in the world and I am not sure how arming anyone else would have saved all the lives.

The argument that if everyone was armed, everyone would behave is a little rough. Who said an armed society is a polite society?

I would like to carry because if I have a problem, I want to solve it.
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

i carry from time to time, and pretty much always have a CCW weapon either in the car or on my person.

now here's an interesting twist...

News article from January, 2006:

Gun bill gets shot down by panel
    HB 1572, which would have allowed handguns on college campuses, died in subcommittee.

By Greg Esposito
    381-1675

A bill that would have given college students and employees the right to carry handguns on campus died with nary a shot being fired in the General Assembly.

House Bill 1572 didn't get through the House Committee on Militia, Police and Public Safety. It died Monday in the subcommittee stage, the first of several hurdles bills must overcome before becoming laws.

The bill was proposed by Del. Todd Gilbert, R-Shenandoah County, on behalf of the Virginia Citizens Defense League. Gilbert was unavailable Monday and spokesman Gary Frink would not comment on the bill's defeat other than to say the issue was dead for this General Assembly session.

Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

at least if this would have passed, maybe, just maybe ONE of the professors in the engineering building may have been able to get to the perp before he was able to kill so many...

why does the thought of trained, legally armed citizens scare the general public so much? the perp legally bought a gun because he had a clear criminal and mental health record, but he was not authorized to carry it either in the open or concealed since he did not have a permit. why would allowing permit-carrying students and staff create a dangerous environment?
    -andy

David

from my understanding, it is Illegal to carry guns anywhere where alcohol is served. So if you are at a party, and there is alcohol, you are breaking the law.

You are right, people who do not know how to handle guns are afraid of them. A lot like driving, people who dont know how to drive, are afraid of the highway.

I think the CCW training needs to be a longer process, but then again, so does having a baby. In my world, you should have to apply to have a baby...but thats another subject...LOL

1996 4runner SR5- Bunch of goodies that make it clunck<br /><br />2008 Acura TL

Quote Originally Posted by localmotion

from my understanding, it is Illegal to carry guns anywhere where alcohol is served.
    I don't know where you got that info. But it is definitely inaccurate as far as my state's laws are concerned. When alcohol is involved, The only time I can't carry, is when I (myself) am under the influence (in public). As long as I am sober, I can carry in any bar.
    &#039;95 4Runner, 3.0, Auto, 140K.

Quote Originally Posted by localmotion
    David

from my understanding, it is Illegal to carry guns anywhere where alcohol is served. So if you are at a party, and there is alcohol, you are breaking the law.

You are right, people who do not know how to handle guns are afraid of them. A lot like driving, people who dont know how to drive, are afraid of the highway.

I think the CCW training needs to be a longer process, but then again, so does having a baby. In my world, you should have to apply to have a baby...but thats another subject...LOL
    I know that in MT it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon into bars, as for parties, I'm not sure. I do know that it varies from state to state.

I do agree about having kids, haha, people need licenses to drive, why not for having a kid?
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast