Thread: have an interesting power question for you electric gurus

have an interesting power question for you electric gurus

alright, my neighbor has a commercial grade cooler, a delfield 4448N-18M in his trailer. is it possible to power it off of DC power up to 10 hours with a large enough inverter and multple batteries? and if so, how? if not, any other ideas besides a gas powered generator if the trailer has to be stand alone?

thanks in advance, i am just so not good with electrical issues
    Kyle<br /><br /><br />2002 4Runner - Supercharged - 2.5&quot; OME Lift - ARB Air Locker - 33&quot; Nitto Terragrapplers - ARB Bull Bar - Warn 9.5xp - Light Force Lamps - Safari Snorkel - Nomad Skids - Dual Batteries - Tundra 199mm Brakes - APO Disc Brake Conversion -

Re: have an interesting power question for you electric gurus

the draw is 8.11kwh daily
    Kyle<br /><br /><br />2002 4Runner - Supercharged - 2.5&quot; OME Lift - ARB Air Locker - 33&quot; Nitto Terragrapplers - ARB Bull Bar - Warn 9.5xp - Light Force Lamps - Safari Snorkel - Nomad Skids - Dual Batteries - Tundra 199mm Brakes - APO Disc Brake Conversion -

I would honestly say that you need a generator.

You would probably need at least a 3000w inverter and like 6 large capacity marine batteries to run it for that long.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

8.11 kWh per day (24 hours) equals out to 337W of power draw, well within the capabilities of a reasonably small inverter (say perhaps a 450W inverter).

Still, that works out to about 28.1 amps of draw at 12 volts, meaning you would need 674.4 amp-hours of battery storage to run it for 24 hours, or about 6-8 large deep-cycle batteries. Given the price of batteries of that size, you might be better off looking at a generator in the 1kW area, since they are pretty cheap.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

You're going to need a generator. The start up on the compressor has a lot of amp pull. An inverter isn't very efficient and I'm not sure how it will act with the thing cycling on and off over 24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by RunnerUp
    the draw is 8.11kwh daily
    Seems like it may be a bit low for the oveall power requirements since the motor appears to be a 1/5 HP drawing 7.2 amps at standard AC voltage under maximum load. So I calculate you need to have a capacity of 115v x 7.2a = 828 Watts to operate the unit at startup. The power requirements may go down to the 8.11kw per day once the interior has reached a static temp.

Here&#39;s the spec sheet for those that are interested:
    http://www.delfield.com/docs/uploade.../DS4448N-M.pdf

Aside from setting up a portable wind turbine, you&#39;re not likely to be able to bring enough batteries to power that machine for long.
    A generator is unfortunately likely to be your best bet.

- Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD