Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Larger Oil Filter - ~40% More Filter Media than OEM

Re: Larger Oil Filter - ~40% More Filter Media than OEM

Quote Originally Posted by Terracoma
    The new 5.7L engine uses some kind of replaceable-element filter instead of the typical spin-on filter... Very different than the others.
    You take off the filter on those 5.7s and there's a paper/whatever-element inside it. Toss it, and replace with another element, then screw back in. I think the filter housing itself is plastic and cracks somewhat easy if you tighten it down too much.
    '96 SR5 5VZ-FE. 89k . 265/75/16 REVO 2s. Sonoran Steel 1.2, HID projector retrofit, Lightforce 170s.

Re: Larger Oil Filter - ~40% More Filter Media than OEM

i went to a local dealership picked up few filters. yes, the newer 5.7L V8 using the canister type filter, like the ones in MBZ and Accura motors, because they are "environmentally friendly", the lady at the parts counter almost laughed out herself while saying it.

anyhoo, here is a picture i took with the filters side by side.

[img width=800 height=547]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w38/tonniechengca/spare/FILTERS.jpg[/img]

i've been using the NG1516 for my old 2nd gen and the current 3rd gen. the size of it just makes the oil change more painful, i'm thinking to switch to the bigger V6 filter next time. i don't know the science of which one is better than other, just peace of mind.
    94 4Runner, SR5 3.0V6, 4WD, 5spd: SOLD<br />99 4Runner, SR5, 3.4L 4WD, 5spd.&nbsp;&nbsp; full SS 1.2 lift, RedLine Fluids, Marline Shifter seat, BruceTS rear bumper, roof busket, Marlin 1200 Clutch, hitch mount tire carrier, Tundra brakes, Brembo rotors.&nbsp; Stubb&#039;s sliders, Lightforce 240, ARB Taco bar, BruceTS rear bumper, stainless steel skid plate.&nbsp; ScanGaugeII, Hankook AT 265/75 LC80 wheels.<br />04 4Runner, V6 SR5 4WD, 3rd Gen. LTD wheels, BFG AT 265/75, FJC coils and silver Bilstein shocks, Scion H/U.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123