Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a Glock 23- recommendations

Buying a Glock 23- recommendations

I'm saving up for a new (2009-2010) Glock 23 .40cal compact, and will hopefully have enough mid-next month for the gun, an extra mag, and holster. I am interested to hear opinions of holsters for the gun, what do you guys use? This gun will be mainly for carrying in the great outdoors, but I'm planning on taking a CCW course in the future.

Additionally, I was thinking about getting the factory Tritium sights. Any opinions on this? Input is appreciated, I'm glad to finally be able to start participating in the sportsmen's corner!
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Re: Glock 23 holster opinions and recommendations

How much are you willing to spend for the holster? The CCW holsters/mag pouch for my 1911 and G26 are made by Mitch Rosen (http://www.mitchrosen.com/product_li...duct_line.html). A little spendy and the wait for mine was ~3 months but they are excellent holsters. You can also look at Galco for another lower-cost leather option.

For a Kydex CCW holster take a look at Raven Concealment Systems (http://www.ravenconcealment.com/products/holsters.html).
    Lance<br />2001 4Runner Limited 4X4 (Sonoran Steel Stocker)<br />315/75R16 MT/Rs | MT Classic IIs | Dual ARBs/4.88s | (F) 5125/Tundra Coils (R) 5125/LC Coils | 4Crawler 1.5&quot; BL | Aisin Manual Hubs | Slee Sliders | Sonoran Steel Rear Bumper | TJM T-15 w/ Warn M8000

I have you shot the compacts? I'd get out and spend some time with them. If you are going to carry I'd get an IWB holster if you really want to be consealed but they aren't all that comfortable. IMO the compact are too small (short grip) and not much fun to shoot. You'll find you probably need a couple guns and holsters. Your hand size, body size and waist are also factors in choosing. I' don't have big hands but the compacts are too small to hold well for me. As a result I have a G21 but I don't carry so it's perfect. My XD9 is smaller and could be carried because it's thinner and lighter. I do like the XD sub compacts but again they are a little short in the handle. The nice thing about those is you can get the mag extension and hold it a lot better. If and when you want to take it along you ditch the extension and it's pretty small. .40 is a good round and compromise for a carry weapon but I'd also look into 9mm and .45.

People love Glocks and they have a big following but I don't think I'd buy another. There are a lot of other options out there and Glock seems a little behind in features for a like pistol. Sure they are super realiable but everything is now a days.

As for holster I like kydex stuff. I've got a couple Uncle Mikes and Galco. Most shops around me carry the models I need so it's easy to try stuff before I buy. It's harder if they have to order in or if you're blindly ordering. I was trying to get involved with a DSC group and they used Blackhawk stuff same with my cop buddies. They use the Serpa models (for Sig .40) and have good things to say about them. I think they have a kydex consealed OWB model.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    I have you shot the compacts? I'd get out and spend some time with them. If you are going to carry I'd get an IWB holster if you really want to be consealed but they aren't all that comfortable. IMO the compact are too small (short grip) and not much fun to shoot. You'll find you probably need a couple guns and holsters. Your hand size, body size and waist are also factors in choosing. I' don't have big hands but the compacts are too small to hold well for me. As a result I have a G21 but I don't carry so it's perfect. My XD9 is smaller and could be carried because it's thinner and lighter. I do like the XD sub compacts but again they are a little short in the handle. The nice thing about those is you can get the mag extension and hold it a lot better. If and when you want to take it along you ditch the extension and it's pretty small. .40 is a good round and compromise for a carry weapon but I'd also look into 9mm and .45.
    The decision on the gun has been several years in the making. I've shot pretty much every kind of Glock in 9mm, .40cal, and .45 cal, standard, compact, and subcompact. The subcompacts are definitely too small, but the standards are too big for what I want in a handgun. Compact fits my hand nicely, and is small enough to be somewhat concealable if needed. Choosing .40 over .45 or 9mm because it has the power of a 45 (more than a 9mm), you get more rounds in the mag than a 45, and it's slightly cheaper than 45. Choosing Glock over Sig or Springfield because of simplicity, aftermarket support, and price.

People love Glocks and they have a big following but I don't think I'd buy another. There are a lot of other options out there and Glock seems a little behind in features for a like pistol. Sure they are super realiable but everything is now a days.
    They're cheap, relieable, lightweight, and shoot straight. Good enough for me. I've thought about all of the tradeoffs a lot; Glock 23 is the decision.

As for holster I like kydex stuff. I've got a couple Uncle Mikes and Galco. Most shops around me carry the models I need so it's easy to try stuff before I buy. It's harder if they have to order in or if you're blindly ordering. I was trying to get involved with a DSC group and they used Blackhawk stuff same with my cop buddies. They use the Serpa models (for Sig .40) and have good things to say about them. I think they have a kydex consealed OWB model.
    Thanks for the recommendations. I'm going to go down to a few gun shops in Albuquerque and try out a couple of different holsters there, I'm just not sure what brands or kinds I should be looking for. For now basically I want one to hold the gun on my hip, and hold the extra mag.

Any input on tritium sights? I hear they're around $70 more but worth it in low/no light conditions...
    Brian
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

This holster comes highly recommended by a lot of ccw folks...

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

Here&#39;s their guarantee info:
    Once you receive your holster you have two weeks to try it out, if it doesn&#39;t work for you, simply give us a ring and we will buy it back. Even after your two-week-try-it-free period is over, the holster still carries a lifetime warranty and we will repair or replace it as long as you own it if it fails you in any way under normal use.
    Check em out.

Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

It seems like a lot of people say they have a drawer full of holsters because they buy cheap holsters that end up not working out. I have a crossbreed supertuck and other than holsters that came with my XDSC, it&#39;s pretty much my only holster that I have. It&#39;s comfortable and holds the gun securely. Keep in mind that an IWB holster requires bigger pants. Mine are all one size too big for me so I have to wear a belt with everything.

I&#39;m not sure what OWB holsters are good, but most people who get custom holsters are very happy with them whether they are IWB or OWB. If you go OWB you should look into getting a good gun belt. They help distribute the weight better, make the gun more comfortable, and above all, make drawing the gun much easier and safer.

As for small grips on the subcompacts, I use pearce extensions which allow me to get a better purchase on the grip but still allows for better concealment than a full size grip. If you go with an IWB holster, the barrel length doesn&#39;t matter for concealment.

For a self defense gun, I would recommend some kind of night sights, whether the tritiums or some others. You might also want to think about a tactical light, whether mounted to the light or in your pocket. Afterall, you shouldn&#39;t shoot what you can&#39;t identify.

www.defensivecarry.com is a good place to do research on carry things.

Can&#39;t go wrong with glocks.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

supertuck

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/IW...%2CProductName

Get it and you will not be disappointed! Pretty much everyone on Glocktalk.com suggests this holster and I agree.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

I&#39;m currently pending on my CCW application, but received a Comp-Tac Infidel IWB kydex holster for my Glock 19 just today... Been cruising it around the house and I like it so far. I ordered with it the belt clip, but would recommend the leather belt loops instead as the clip doesn&#39;t seem to get a good purchase on my Wilderness 1.75" belt when worn behind my right hip. The loops are only $3 more and will definitely be more solid when drawing the pistol... No experience, but I&#39;ve heard lots of good things about Raven Concealment and Blade Tech.

Be advised, though, that most kydex holsters are made-to-order.

I also have a Safariland ALS 6378 that I use for OWB open carry and I really prefer it to the Blackhawk SERPA if you&#39;re looking for an open carry holster with retention features. I really don&#39;t like the SERPAs locking mechanism and the need to use an index finger to release the lock... The 6378 is listed as a &#39;concealment&#39; holster, but I would beg to differ. If you&#39;re not into paddle holsters (as they don&#39;t fit all body types and some people can&#39;t stand them), the Safariland 6377 is the same holster designed with belt loop attachements.

As for tritium sights, do it and don&#39;t look back... The Glock OEM night sights are now made by Meprolight (I think), but Glock, Meprolight, and Trijicon all make solid products and you can&#39;t go wrong with any of the three. I myself have a set of green/green Trijicon night sights on my Glock 17 and will be adding the same to my new Glock 19 twins, but perhaps in green/yellow if I can find them.

Since you mentioned Albuquerque for shopping around, I highly recommend Dan Brovont at Precision Arms (small shop, great guy), but Ron Peterson Firearms and Calibers Shooting Sports Center will have larger selections... Ron Peterson&#39;s shop isn&#39;t necessarily in the best neighborhood, but he sells more Glocks than anyone else in Albuquerque from what I&#39;ve heard. Calibers is a very large shop with a good selection, very laid-back staff, indoor shooting range, and rental guns, but their prices seem to be at or above retail on some things.

Just my two cents, as your mileage may vary.
    --- Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Terracoma
    As for tritium sights, do it and don&#39;t look back... The Glock OEM night sights are now made by Meprolight (I think), but Glock, Meprolight, and Trijicon all make solid products and you can&#39;t go wrong with any of the three. I myself have a set of green/green Trijicon night sights on my Glock 17 and will be adding the same to my new Glock 19 twins, but perhaps in green/yellow if I can find them.

Since you mentioned Albuquerque for shopping around, I highly recommend Dan Brovont at Precision Arms (small shop, great guy)
    So I&#39;m buying my new handgun through Dan at Precision Arms. A Gen III Glock 23 (Only the Glock 21 is available in Gen IV right now), tritium sights. I&#39;m going down tomorrow to talk with him some, get the ball rolling, and check out holsters/accessories. Dan said there are two finishes available for the Glock, and he wanted me to go down and feel them both in person before I decided.

I&#39;m also buying these extra items:

Barska Biometric Safe
    I&#39;ve known that I wanted a safe for safe storage of any handguns I might be buying, and this is a nice low-cost biometric solution that has good reviews. Planning on bolting the thing down good, and keeping the gun in there away from little curious hands.

Peltor 97079 Combat Arms Earplugs
    I need some earplugs, and these seem like they&#39;re worth a try. What the heck.

Brian

I carry IWB and use a CompTac Infidel holster. Been using it for a year and a half now. Carry in the small of my back. I drive with it there, everything. Its completely comfortable for me. And I carry a Sig P220 Carry. Pretty much a full size gun, just .8" shorter. And one handed re-holstering ftw.

As for the night sights, I have always had them on all my handguns. Wouldnt have a handgun without. Get the factory ones for get a set of aftermarket Trijicon or Meopta.
    Any of you like Guns? Hit me up for great prices! www.gunsupfirearms.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast