Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: paddlenbike's 2000 4Runner

New toys, new toys!

I added a Sherpa Matterhorn full length roof rack. The cross bars are all 80/20-based, and by now I think you all know how much I love that stuff for its adaptability.

I routed the lighbar wiring through a cable gland in the roof

Hogged-out some space for a couple more switches

And finally added an accessory fuse box under the hood

It's bright af

She's getting close to her 20th birthday! Next project will be onboard air. I'm getting tired of dragging out my 25 year old chinese MV50 air compressor every time, but call me impressed it's still working!

Ken

I'm starting to think the MV50s are indestructible. When I rebuilt mine I found crap in the cylinder and scored walls... that was years ago and it's still going strong. Based on my measurements it's almost as powerful as the Viair that came in my Tacoma.

That all said... I broke down an bought an ARB dual compressor recently because a friend bought one. Very impressed.
    2000 4Runner Sport / 4x4 / 5spd / E-locker / SS 1.2 / 265x75x16 Bighorns / ARB Prado / HD-SKO

Quote Originally Posted by slomatt View Post
    I'm starting to think the MV50s are indestructible. When I rebuilt mine I found crap in the cylinder and scored walls... that was years ago and it's still going strong. Based on my measurements it's almost as powerful as the Viair that came in my Tacoma.

That all said... I broke down an bought an ARB dual compressor recently because a friend bought one. Very impressed.
    For $19.95 (what I paid for my MV50 25 years ago), it was probably one of the better investments I've made! That said, I'm also looking at permanently mounting something in the engine bay so-as to not have to run more wiring into the cab. On the list are 1) just mounting the MV-50, 2) a Viair, 3) ARB single. I just don't think I can get the ARB dual in the engine bay without some major surgery. If we could re-mount the cruise control, I think a dual might fit...

I've blown up 2 MV50s over the years. I really love my ARB dual compressor, and was very happy with my Viair in my 4Runner. I think a tank on my ARB would make it really perfect.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Maybe they don't make MV50s like they used to, haha. I may end up with the ARB single as mounting it would be super easy. The dual ARB not so much.

Keep the MV50! Mine looked like this inside ~5 years ago and it's still running just fine.

I "ported" the head and replaced the valves with some parts of an old feeler gauge.

(sorry to hijack your thread Ken)
    2000 4Runner Sport / 4x4 / 5spd / E-locker / SS 1.2 / 265x75x16 Bighorns / ARB Prado / HD-SKO

Quote Originally Posted by slomatt View Post
    Keep the MV50! Mine looked like this inside ~5 years ago and it's still running just fine.

(sorry to hijack your thread Ken)
    Not a hijack at all. If I decide to use my MV50 I would probably be well-advised to tear my down first.

It's been a long time since I've crawled around under the 4Runner to check for anything awry. Pulled the fuel tank skid plate and pounded it back out again...it was starting to rust from the unpainted scars, so I got that straightened out the best I could. My rocksliders need to be repainted again as well.

I couldn't find anything mechanical that needed attention, so nothing to report here! These 3rd gens are simply the most amazing machines known to mankind.

-Ken

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456