Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: paddlenbike's 2000 4Runner

Re: paddlenbike's 2000 4Runner

Goal: Put contents of box on engine.

Yummy.

Pre-supercharger:

At its most torn-down state (this is an easy and fun project):

5.5 hours later, horsepower jumps from 183 hp to 265 hp:

This is my first supercharged vehicle, however I have owned four other turbocharged cars--a 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5XT, a 430 hp Toyota Supra Turbo and two turbo Volvos. Compared to a turbocharged vehicle, the supercharger makes instant horsepower and torque even at low RPMs (no turbo lag) and the supercharger is a self-contained unit with no external oil and coolant lines (which have leaked on every turbo car I have ever owned) and no intercooler plumbing to crowd the engine bay and reduce throttle response. The SC also does not add as much heat to the engine bay as a turbo. Finally, tuning is simpler since the boost is linear. You can even ziptie the bypass valve open if you want to run 87 octane fuel.

Disadvantages compared to a turbo? Hmm...technically it has more parasitic drag than a turbo, but with it's integrated bypass valve, Magnuson advertises the SC draws less than 1/4 of one horsepower in non-boost situations. There's also no turbo woosh and blow off valve sounds, just the whining of the supercharger impellers. There is also no way to intercool the TRD SC's air, but you can supplement with water or methanol injection for intake air charge cooling. Given all it's advantages, I'm sold on superchargers over turbos, but regardless, the world is a better place with forced induction.

Re: paddlenbike's 2000 4Runner

I drove the 4Runner for about a year with the charger and no additional fuel system upgrades. Power was good but I had a very slight amount of disappointment--living near sealevel meant it had the low RPM ping and while it felt more powerful than before, it felt like it should have had more to offer. I decided to add the URD 7th injector kit, mainly from a piece-of-mind standpoint. I wanted to know that I could hitch up a trailer and pull a stupid load to the east coast tomorrow if I had to and not worry about a thing.

The injector (with the pink plug to the left of photo) drops into the EGR port of the supercharger (un-used on 90%+ of 4Runners):

And some wiring. The URD ECU is pretty simple, it needs power, ground and tach signal from the Toyota ECU and it needs to intercept both the crank and cam angle signals, which means cutting the factory wire so the signal passes through the URD ECU before reaching the Toyota ECU. The URD box basically lies to the Toyota ECU about the timing to take care of the low RPM ping. Later I hooked up an optional feature called "closed loop boost enrichment" that tapped the O2 sensor circuit to drop the air/fuel (A/F) ratio when running over 3 psi of boost when still in closed loop (i.e. you're in a high load condition but not at full throttle).

I have found that most steep grades at high elevation (7,000+ft) require 2 psi of boost pressure or less to maintain speed, so the 3 psi+ closed loop enrichment will help keep the engine fueled and keep the SC intake temperatures low when I tow over highway passes. It also provides a nice smooth transition into boost when you accelerate hard.

More than half of the wiring you see here is for other things like the wideband O2 gauge.

The URD kit was very successful at taking care of the low RPM ping and high RPM lean-out that can occur to trucks at low elevations. It makes quite a bit more power, I would venture to say the URD kit added nearly half again as much power as the supercharger did itself and the driveability is perfect, like I expected from a factory system in the first place.

The SC is a chunk of change but it completely changed the way this truck drives. It's very powerful, even when you're just cruising along at 2500 RPMs and need to pick up the pace. I can drive over 9,000 ft passes without downshifting and when I'm screwing around offroad in the desert, the power is a ton of fun to have on tap. I still get 20 MPG on the highway. I can tow a heavy trailer and not worry about power. What else could I ask for?

Stop making me want one!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I need to find a way to block your posts, Ken. That sounds soo nice!
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter View Post
    I need to find a way to block your posts, Ken. That sounds soo nice!
    Haha. Just catching up on my Garage...I couldn't find it for a while after the server crash.

Looking good, great tech, now I have to get one.

But first I need to acquire a 4Runner that looks just as clean as yours and has less then 120k on the clock lol!

Doesn't URD have a harness that extended the factory one so you do not have to tap into the factory harness?

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun View Post
    Looking good, great tech, now I have to get one.

But first I need to acquire a 4Runner that looks just as clean as yours and has less then 120k on the clock lol!
    There are a ton of clean 4Runners out here on the west coast. I have no relation to the seller, just saw this one in the local ad: 1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited with TRD Supercharger
    It would be worth the drive to get something that hasn't spent its life in the rust belt.

Doesn't URD have a harness that extended the factory one so you do not have to tap into the factory harness?
    URD does make a harness but I think they want about $200 for it. Making a few tap connections and a couple of splice connections doesn't bother me too much. It would make the install go really quick though.

Installed some 3/4" wheel spacers today. The Sequoia wheels are 1/2" wider than the factory 4Runner wheels and stick out 1/4" more, but they still looked tucked-in to the wheel wells.

Before:

After:

I really like the stance now.

What spacer did you end up going with?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast