Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You know it's true love when...

You know it's true love when...

... your girlfriend buys you a set of lightforces for valentine's day!

so she gave them to me a little early, making sure they were what i wanted before her return period expired.

they were perfect! a set of 170's, wrapped in shiny plastic!

when it came to installing them, i was pretty confident that they were not going to fit on my shrockworks bumper with the prerunner hoop. i was correct in that, so i had to come up with a bracket to mount them. i scrounged around the garage for a while looking for some 2" angle i had, but i found this 1.5" aluminum angle, already the perfect size! 4 holes later and it was mounted:

wires run through the factory shrockworks light mount holes and connect to the high beams.

oh yeah, and i bought a winch:

so here is a question for those in the know. id like to keep my low beams on when my high beams are on, as the headlights no longer handle high beam duty. how should i go about doing this?
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 08-25-2013 at 05:56 PM.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Re: You know it's true love when...

I don't have answers to your wiring questions, but the truck looks great!
    -Jc1996 SR5 4WD 5SPD 4RunnerStock till 213,000 milesSonoran SS rear brake line|Sonoran diff drop|Sonoran Panhard drop bracket|SAW 2.5 C/O's|OME891-N86|Magnaflow 24|Deckplate Mod|Trueflow Airfilter|BruceTS Rear Bumper|Airaid MIT|Shrockworks Front Bumper|Trail-mart 67 sliders

Sean. Can I have your girlfriend? Just so she can buy me nice things for Valentine's day.

j/k!!

Looks great, and I too can't help ya on the lights... I'm just here for comic relief, although I didn't do a good job of that either...

We may need to move this post to the "Fail" thread...
    --Chris--<br />Facebook Me!<br />1996 Toyota 4Runner Limited / Sonoran Steel 1.2 Lift / 4Crawler Offroad 2&quot; Body Lift / ProComp 8069 16x8 / 315-75 GoodYear Duratracs / Modified ARB front / BruceTS Rear / WABFAB custom stuffs

Looking good!

I mean this next comment in the most polite way possible...please, please, PLEASE get rid those KC Dayligher covers! Every time you post pics I think of that song, "one of these things just doesn't belong..."

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

haha never!!! i love my happy faces! like the snorkel, they make me smile every time i see them!

i was considering painting little red dots between the 'eyes'.

thanks for the positive responses.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz

so here is a question for those in the know. id like to keep my low beams on when my high beams are on, as the headlights no longer handle high beam duty. how should i go about doing this?
    Wut ?

That doesn't make sense to me.
    But.
    My 170's are wired up in the fashion where the forces are completely seperate from the actual headlights.
    I think I took the wire thats supposed to be wired into the highbeam, and just wired it to the battery..

99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    haha never!!! i love my happy faces! like the snorkel, they make me smile every time i see them!

i was considering painting little red dots between the 'eyes'.

thanks for the positive responses.
    Ha, you should. A custom touch would be cool.

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

ok heres a better explanation:

my headlights are HID, but they are not bixenon, basically meaning only the low beam is hid, the high beam is a small halogen that is out of the focal point of the lens, making it useless. the wire going to this halogen was cut and a relay put in its place that now controls my 170's.

so when i turn on my high beams, either pushing on or pulling to flash, my low beams go off, and my 170's come on.

desired result: when turning high beams on, i wish for the low beams to ALSO stay on. ideally id like them to not go off during the switch (the combination switch is break before make), but i would settle for just high and low beams when high beams are turned on.

my reason for doing this: with the HID's, i find i never need high beams unless its truly dark and the terrain demands it. in that case, there is rarely on coming traffic, or traffic in front of me, so i can justify using the LF's for that case. Also, the 170 are spots, and i like that, but would like the light from my low beams to fill in that intermediate area.

so:
    Code:
    switch position   devices powered

off         off
    tail lights     tail lights
    low beam      low beam and tail lights
    high beam      high beam, low beam and tail lights
    i think i remember bruce had this same setup on his 4runner, but i am not positive.

should also mention, i am not using a LF wiring harness, i built my own (as i usually do) so it fits properly!

LOL Sean, I made the SAME exact mount for my T100 out of a bedframe rail.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

All I read was "..G/F..." and "..headlights...", which in any relationship are always a good thing to play with.

Looks good, great lady you have there, mine just gave me a good %'age of the tax return to have for funding for a while until I start work again.

As for the high/low option, I don't have the schematic available, but it is in ih8mud's forums, in the 80 series or 95.5+ FAQ's. Try a search there, if I get the chance and see you haven't found the link, I'll post it here. IIRC you have to make a harness that has two relays to keep the load on the circuit from frying the factory wiring by drawing too many amps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast