Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cost of owning an Iphone

Re: Cost of owning an Iphone

I honestly prefer the garmin over a fancy phone. I currently have a nuvi 700 series iirc, 4 inch screen and really nice unit that I got from sams club for liek 200 bucks awhile back.

I do wish I had a fancier phone, but I abuse my things alot and such a device would ultimately wind up a pile of plastic when I am done. I still have my old pos verizon branded motorola phone-it wont die lol..

How do you guys who have the smart phones not break them? I mean I drop, beat, and generally abuse my phone. Hell last one fell in a puddle of water 3x and still worked. Then again the cheapies always work the best and last the longest imho.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

I've got a Garmin for the vehicles and like it a lot. It's clean, simple and has a great screen.

My smart phone stays in my pocket all the time. I'm not super rough on my stuff and take extra care with the phone and don't forget it's in my pocket. It's a touch screen and flips open to another screen and keyboard. I guess there is a lot to break but it's well built and has been holding up great. When skiing on bike riding it stick it in a ziplock bag to keep water and sweat off of it.

My blackberry has been dropped more than any of my other phones and is still holding up fine and I'm pretty hard on my phones since they are always in my cargo pocket. It gets wet at work, bangs on stuff as I'm walking on the jobsite, etc... The only "protection" it has, is a thin plastic screen overlay to help keep scratches off the screen.
    My signature

My brother has a blackberry storm Chris and so far he is on #3. I tried the LG chocolate way back when, after 2 replacements I gave up.

I even killed one of those old motorola military grade phones, apparently getting crushed by a bobcat isnt covered under the insurance.

I have a TomTom, it's in my wife's car, the garage at her work has their own security guards.

I refuse to use any add on GPS even aftermarket stereo in my car simply because these are theft magnet. I had about $2500 of damage for the 2 break-in's, all because these stupid GPS, even I kept the 2nd one in the glove box, they've noticed the dash mount.
    94 4Runner, SR5 3.0V6, 4WD, 5spd: SOLD<br />99 4Runner, SR5, 3.4L 4WD, 5spd.&nbsp;&nbsp; full SS 1.2 lift, RedLine Fluids, Marline Shifter seat, BruceTS rear bumper, roof busket, Marlin 1200 Clutch, hitch mount tire carrier, Tundra brakes, Brembo rotors.&nbsp; Stubb&#039;s sliders, Lightforce 240, ARB Taco bar, BruceTS rear bumper, stainless steel skid plate.&nbsp; ScanGaugeII, Hankook AT 265/75 LC80 wheels.<br />04 4Runner, V6 SR5 4WD, 3rd Gen. LTD wheels, BFG AT 265/75, FJC coils and silver Bilstein shocks, Scion H/U.

I used to be stupid with my phones (throw them, abuse them..etc..). But then again, I used to be a little shit of a teenager. I think I went through 4 different phones and who knows how many replacements for those in.. 4 years..

Now that I have the iPhone it has a hard rubber case and has been dropped a few times but she's still going strong..
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

I only used window mounts for the gps and put it out of sight when I get out. I also mount it very close to the dash and A-pillar on the drivers side.

I dropped my ipod touch (basically an iphone without the phone) from the hood of the 4runner (4 foot drop) onto the street while I was doing 40 mph. Amazingly, it worked. All it had was a silicone skin.

You can get waterproof enclosures for the iphone.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

I went to a local AT&T store had a little chat with the guys over there, pretty much if I use an Iphone, my minimum monthly bill would be around $75, compare to my current bill, that's $480 a year extra payment I can't afford, and I have to pay for 2 years.

glad I didn't pick that up.
    94 4Runner, SR5 3.0V6, 4WD, 5spd: SOLD<br />99 4Runner, SR5, 3.4L 4WD, 5spd.&nbsp;&nbsp; full SS 1.2 lift, RedLine Fluids, Marline Shifter seat, BruceTS rear bumper, roof busket, Marlin 1200 Clutch, hitch mount tire carrier, Tundra brakes, Brembo rotors.&nbsp; Stubb&#039;s sliders, Lightforce 240, ARB Taco bar, BruceTS rear bumper, stainless steel skid plate.&nbsp; ScanGaugeII, Hankook AT 265/75 LC80 wheels.<br />04 4Runner, V6 SR5 4WD, 3rd Gen. LTD wheels, BFG AT 265/75, FJC coils and silver Bilstein shocks, Scion H/U.

Yeah when my wife and I were looking at getting a pair of Blackberrys or Droids (Verizon) we detrmined the bill would go up about $65/month on top of what we were already paying (~$95/mo). I decided I didn't need a smartphone that bad...
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast