Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mac or PC?

Re: Mac or PC?

Quote Originally Posted by firebane
    A pc is only as stable as the person who built it, the parts that went into it and how it was assembled.

Every machine I've had I've never had any issues with it simply because I know what works well with what and know how to take care of it which is what people don't know how to do.
    very true.

i built a my computer originally back in 2003. due to cost, i used some cheap parts. after my motherboard failed in 2005, i replaced the motherboard, processor, graphics card, and power supply and it has worked fine since.

software issues on the other hand (freezing, etc....) are EXTREMELY rare for my computer.

that being said, i wish i had the money for a mac.

I work as a computer tech and I have so many people coming in all the time saying they regret buying a mac and wish they had bought a pc due to the limitations of a mac.

I work as a computer tech and I have so many people coming in all the time saying they regret buying a mac and wish they had bought a pc due to the limitations of a mac.
    Other then gaming which will be coming back to the mac vary soon. I dont see any limitations with the new intel mac.
    -Bryan- 99 Sr5

Quote Originally Posted by Markduce
    Other then gaming which will be coming back to the mac vary soon. I dont see any limitations with the new intel mac.
    Software choice, software costs, and the sole fact if you want to do any upgrades to the system it can be difficult.

Software choice, software costs, and the sole fact if you want to do any upgrades to the system it can be difficult.
    use from the consumer can make a difference too, Mac is trying to get more into business it seems, but for stuff that I do (graphic design, photography, 3d modeling/rendering) it fits perfect

for some others, maybe they just didnt know what they wanted or knew how to use it to its full effect.

iMacs, yeah kinda limited in hardware.

macpro? just in the processer of upgrading, can add up to 4 gfx cards, 4 hdds and 8 sticks of memory for 16gb total. which is my plan (yeah right on the 16gb)

The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Quote Originally Posted by neliconcept
    use from the consumer can make a difference too, Mac is trying to get more into business it seems, but for stuff that I do (graphic design, photography, 3d modeling/rendering) it fits perfect

for some others, maybe they just didnt know what they wanted or knew how to use it to its full effect.

iMacs, yeah kinda limited in hardware.

macpro? just in the processer of upgrading, can add up to 4 gfx cards, 4 hdds and 8 sticks of memory for 16gb total. which is my plan (yeah right on the 16gb)

I will always stick to my guns that if you want something to piddle around with and enjoy a pc is the way to go. If you want something to do multimedia (graphic/music/video) is the best.

aye....as someone in the industry, let me say this: a PC can do anything a mac can do in terms of media, like graphic design. i don't doubt macs were the superior machines years ago, but not these days.

both design jobs i work for use PC exclusively.

I'm a diehard PC fan and former LAN Admin who was responsible for over 175 PCs + numerous servers (all PC based) for well over 15 years. IBM & Dell make some great boxes, while Gateway and others seemed to have faded in quality over the years. The Mac thing intrigued me, but I never felt the need to venture into the 'hype' .... until about a year ago. I was on the upgrade cycle at work last year, so I opted for a MacBook Pro (the Duo Core could run both Win/OSX). The way I figured it, if the MacOS sucked, I'd just run XP. Since then, I've acquired a 24" iMac as a desktop replacement about a month and a half ago. Since migrating all my junk to the iMac, I've dropped my Dell desktop like a bad cold!! Haven't even turned it on in over two/three weeks. I moved on from my LAN Admin days many years ago, but I've simply grown tired of 'baby sitting' just my own work/home PC/Windows environments. Coddling all the nuances of conflicting apps, patching, protecting, etc has simply gotten old.

There's nothing I haven't been apply to do with my Mac's. I even picked up a USB/serial adapter for locally consoling into my routers and such (Mac's don't have RS-232 ports). With Parallels installed, I can slid over to XP and run Visio, and even share the files between either OS in a "share folder". In all honesty, XP boots and runs considerably faster on my 2.16GHz Intel Mac than it does on my 2.26GHz Dell (to be fair the Mac does have more RAM than the Dell). Hell, I've even moved away from MS Office for Mac and gone to NeoOfiice. I'm almost entirely MS free (minus Visio; that's a work process issue)... and I wasn't even trying (I've never had a beef with MS).
    -Scott<br />&#039;01 Black SR5 4x4 w/ Black Pearl&#039;s: Detroit Truetrac | Tundra/OME 890s w/ Tokico Trekmasters | SS Diff Drop/Panhard | Tundra rotors/calipers | Rear Diff Breather Extension | Hayden cooler | K&amp;N | ISR | Deckplate | Jet Black PC&#039;d LC 16x8&#039;s w/ LT265/75R16 Cooper S/T&#039;s

I just bought a MacBook Pro 2 days ago, and I'm totally loving it so far. It's been a lot of years since I used a Mac, but I'm picking it up pretty quick. It was pricey for sure, but I'm looking forward to years of mostly hassle free use (I hope). Since I got it I haven't even been able to bring myself to turn on the pc to transfer stuff over. I still have a few things to figure out, but it looks like I'll probably be a lifer. Now I just have to get my family to convert so they'll quit asking me to fix their PCs all the time.
    Julie aka Jules, Ju, Ruby<br />95 Runner SR5 22re 5spd stock till next year--saving my pennies like a good little girl&nbsp;

Quote Originally Posted by calrockx
    aye....as someone in the industry, let me say this: a PC can do anything a mac can do in terms of media, like graphic design. i don't doubt macs were the superior machines years ago, but not these days.

both design jobs i work for use PC exclusively.
    very true.

I used to work for 2advancedstudios www.2advanced.com and actually I was the creater of the v2 version of the site. however these guys all used PCs, mainly due to ease of coding in flash and xml. now its really the user. what feels comfortable can either be PC based or MAC based.

The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast