Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tundra TRD Coil Springs to LIFT a 4Runner or Tacoma

Tundra TRD Coil Springs to LIFT a 4Runner or Tacoma

TUNDRA TRD LIFT INFO

UPDATED 02.16.07

__________________________________________________ _____________

DO NOT USE OME N91S STRUTS UP FRONT IN COMBINATION WITH AN ARB LOCKER.
    The locked front and excessive droop is a CV killer. I know because I broke two on Slickrock at Tellico about 30-minutes apart. If you have a front locker, or plan on running one, then you either need front limiting straps or you need to use the BLUE Tacoma TRD shocks or another Tokico alternative.

For use with a Front ARB Locker (ARB RD90):
    2004 Toyota Tundra TRD 4WD Front Coil: 48131-AF090 - right - Blue + Yellow goes on the passenger side
    2004 Toyota Tundra TRD 4WD Front Coil: 48131-AF100 - left - Yellow + Yellow goes on driver side
    2004 Toyota TRD Tacoma Double Cab stock front shocks: 48510-A9160 - Tokico TRD Blue (TWO)
    Sonoran Steel Fabrication L.L.C. Front differential drop spacers (TWO)
    Sonoran Steel Fabrication L.L.C. 38mm Japanese made extended studs (SIX)
    Bamachem 3/8" thick: 1/2" Lift HDPE Top Spacer (TWO)

Without a Front Locker:
    OME N91S Struts are fine, but should be used with limiting straps if you plan on wheeling hard where possible overextension of the outer CV joint can be present while the drooped front wheel is under extreme torque.

Steve at SonoranSteel.com has a complete kit using this information and the correct parts along with a diff drop and panhard drop for a great price.

I've had a ton of different setups for the front and rear. Over the last ~70k miles I've had...

front:
    OEM
    OEM + spacers
    TUNDRA 2WD NON TRD + spacers
    OME/OME
    TUNDRA 2WD NON TRD + spacers (went back b/c I HATED the OME setup)
    TUNDRA 2WD TRD + red billies
    TUNDRA 2WD TRD + OME struts
    and now: TUNDRA 4WD TRD + tokico blue struts

rear:
    OEM
    OEM + spacers
    DOWNEY COILS + stock shocks
    OME/OME
    DOWNEY COILS + stock shocks (went back b/c I HATED the OME setup)
    DOWNEY COILS + OME shocks
    DOWNEY COILS + spacer + OME
    DOWNEY COILS + spacers + OME
    and now: CRUISER coils and shocks

Overall, this basic front/rear setup KILLS all of them in ride comfort and flex ability. It gives approximately 2.0" up front (with my extra weight of a front bumper and winch) and (2.25" in the rear with downey coils) 3.5" in the rear with the Cruiser Coils.

Here's what I originally used...

Front:

Tundra TRD 2WD Front Coils

I used 2WD TRD Tundra front coils but everyone else have used 4WD TRD Tundra Coils. All use Extended Studs w/ some HDPE 3/8" Top Plate Spacers and the lift amounts are almost IDENTICAL. The added weight on my rig is about 100# MORE when compared to a stock runner, yeilding about a 0.20" drop in my ride height overall. The conclusion is that the 2WD TRD and 4WD TRD Tundra Coils are essentially the same when installed on a 3rd Gen 4runner.

Left Coil Part Number: 48131-AF100
    Right Coil Part Number: 48131-AF090

OME N91S struts. Originally, I used Toyota Tundra 2WD Red TRD Bilstein Struts. Instead of the 4x2 Tundra TRD Bilsteins, a set of Old Man Emu N91s Struts can AND SHOULD be substituted. The old TRD part number (00602-48500-101) is now PT901-48500-01. They currently retail for $394 for a set of 4, but are available through http://trdparts4u.com for only $315. (This strut is RED - NOT the same as Bilstein Heavy Duty Yellow Struts or Regular Bilstein Yellow TRD Struts or even the RED TRD Bilsteain 4WD struts - the 2WD versions are supposedly LOW PRESSURE and NOT HIGH PRESSURE) ~$350/set of 4 list price - but you can only use the fronts - therefore, get OME and NOT the red billies unless you find a good deal on some used ones. (got mine used) They can also get you the Red 2WD TRD Bilsteins if you insist on using them. My OME N91s struts are super smooth on and off road. However, at this point, I'd STRONGLY suggest using the Blue Tacoma TRD Tokico struts up front.

OEM 4Runner Top Plate

Extended Studs for OEM Top Plate are available from both Daystar and/or Revtek.

HDPE 3/8" thick Top Plate Spacer (Similar to a Revtek 3/8" Top Out Spacer)

This is pretty much a TRD bolt-on front lift for 4Runners and Tacomas

__________________________________________________ _______________
    Note: There are 3 different Bilstein Shocks that can be easily confused on this setup.

1. OEM Toyota/Bilsteins - color yellow/blue , labeled with both the Toyota and Bilstein brand names - comes as part of the "TRD" or OFF ROAD option package. Toyota part # 4851009350 (front) & 4853109141 (rear). Toyota price about $150 new (set of 4), often about $125 on eBay (set of 4) YOU DO NOT WANT THESE.

2. TRD Bilsteins for 4x4's - color red/blue, labeled with both the Toyota and Bilstein brand names. TRD part number 00602-48500-100. Available from Toyota Dealers as a TRD Sport Part. These shocks are 40% stiffer on bump and about 25% stiffer on rebound than #1. about $285 (set of 4) YOU DO NOT WANT THESE.

3. TRD Bilsteins for 4x2's - color red/blue, labeled with both the Toyota and Bilstein brand names. TRD part number 00602-48500-101 (order 2). Available from Toyota Dealers as a TRD Sport Part. These shocks are slightly softer at low velocities, but stiffer at high velocities than #1. about $175 (set of 2) THESE ARE THE ONES YOU WANT.

I have verified that I have #3 4x2 Tundra TRD Red/Blue Bilsteins. They are softer than regular Bilsteins on low speed articulation and are stiffer than regular Bilsteins on high speed articulation. This allows for super soft and smooth on-road manners along with superb flex while crawling.

Instead of the 4x2 Tundra TRD Bilsteins, a set of Old Man Emu N91s Struts can AND SHOULD be substituted. They work in a similar manner as the 4x2 TRD Billies in that the valving allows for soft feel at slow articulation speeds. You DO NOT want the "comfort" (N91c). These are VERY soft - softer than the OEM Toyota struts that came on 4Runners from Japan.

Rear:

Downey 2.5"/3.5" Rear Lift Coils

Old Man Emu N86 Rear Shocks

OEM Conical Bumpstops

Other Stuff worth mentioning:

1" Roger Brown Body Lift

1" Differential Drop Spacers (cheap insurance)

Front Sway Bar Quick Disconnects (tons more flex)

ARB Sahara Bar (no difference in weight of OEM bumper and crush bar compared to the ARB)

Warn M8000 Winch w/ Amsteel Syn Line and Roller Fairlead (for weight considerations)

Airlift Outback 1000 Air Bag System (to help w/ the rear bumper weight)
    Now for the juicy stuff...

At some point when I have the time and a place to do it, I'm going to take one of my assemblies out and take detailed pics, but until then, I'll have to rely on verbage and borrowed pics.

The top plate spacer goes on top of the strut plate after everything else is assembled and just before you re-install it on the truck. You build the coilpack like OEM, but w/ longer studs and the tundra springs instead of the OEM springs. Then you put the spacer on top (kinda like a washer of sorts) then push the studs up through the holes in the upper mounting plate on the truck, then get all three nuts started, then get the lower shock eye lined up and then thread the lower bolt through it.

A good writeup on how to install them with pics is HERE:

http://4rnr.net/suspension

It goes the same place as the Revtek Top-Out Spacer (Part Number TOE-2)...

By running the longer Tundra Coils, you eliminate the thick Revtek PRELOAD SPACER (this is what they call it in the directions) that goes INSIDE the coil pack. You still follow the directions and refer to the pics for the rest of the steps to remove the OEM top plate, removing and replacing the studs, reassembling the coilpack, and placement of the top plate (part number TOE-2)

Here's the Revtek Instructions in PDF format.

http://www.revtek.com/docs/pn430.pdf

__________________________________________________ ______________

Flex info:

(from center of hub vertically to bottom of limited flare)

Note: As you can see in the last two pics, the front didn't bottom out on the bumpstop and the upper A Arm did not touch the spring. If I were to put a rock under the driver rear tire, then I could probally squeeze 8" of travel out of the front and maybe, just maybe a touch over. This is with a 1" Roger Brown Body Lift installed also.

Front normal height: 22.75" (TRD) 23.0" (OME)
    Front compressed height: 18.25"
    Front extended height: 25.75"
    Front overall travel: 7.50"
    % of suspension travel is compression: 60%
    % of suspenstion travel is extension: 40%
    (normal position is almost perfectly in the middle of potential suspension travel)

Rear normal height: 23.00" (New) 22.25" (Used)
    Rear compressed height: 14.75"
    Rear extended height: 32.50"
    Rear overall travel: 17.75"
    % of suspension travel is compression: 46%
    % of suspenstion travel is extension: 54%
    (normal position is almost perfectly in the middle of potential suspension travel)

Pics of position during measurement:

__________________________________________________ ______________

New pics w/ 305/70-16's!

update:

swapped to blue tokicos, tundra 4wd coils, and rear LC coils. also added some sonoran steel lower suspension links for more rear axle articulation. 1/4" wall DOM with rubicon express joints... no more bent lower links!

pics:

coils & links................OME & Tokico............OME on the runner

tokico's on.................downey's on..............LC coils on

new stance................new stance...............new stance

rear w/ bags...............how to turn the lower eye on the fronts
    -andy

Re: Tundra TRD Coil Springs to LIFT a 4Runner or Tacoma

I am running the TRD Tundra Springs with OME N91S and OME 891s in the rear with the N86 shocks. This is a huge improvement from the bilseins I came from. I plan on adding a spacer up front, as the front has sagged because of my TJM.

It rides very well, and from what I have heard, the setup Andy mentions above rides ever better, and you don't to worry about overextension.

Thanks Andy for using your noodle for once!
    1996 4runner SR5- Bunch of goodies that make it clunck<br /><br />2008 Acura TL

more info for archiving:

from 10/04/2004

Ok, after a long trip to Hoover Toyota at Lunch, here's what I found...

They had quite a few Tundra's on the lot, most of them new (04/05). For 2004/05 2WD TRD Access Cab, the coil springs were Red/Yellow and Purple/Yellow. For 2005 4WD TRD Access Cab, the coil springs were Blue/Orange and Blue/Red. Fo a 2004 4WD NON TRD Double Cab Limited, the coil springs were Orange/Green and Red/Red.

[RANT ON: bamachem]Now if you'll notice above, I have installed the TRD 2WD Springs! ☺☺☺☺! Why the hell can't you get what is advertised on eBay?!?!?! Well, what I DO know is that they are a better ride and did give me the lift I was looking for, but DAMMIT, the guy supposedly went into his local Toyota Dealer and ordered '03 4WD Tundra TRD coils and either the parts guy ordered the wrong ones (could easily happen) or this guy screwed me over and knew he was selling TRD 2WD springs and NOT 4WD TRD springs like he advertised.

Now to be fair, IF THIS IS IN FACT TRUE, then the springs should be easy to get over on tundrasolutions since all the 2WD guys are putting 4WD springs on to level out their Tundras, leaving the 2WD springs to us.[/RANT]

Well, that didn't help me any, so I went inside and chatted about 15 min w/ the parts guru there. This isn't your typical parts guy. This guy has been there for years and really knows his ☺☺☺☺ and has ALWAYS cheerfully helped me find what I'm looking for on my qwirky projects. He pulls up the same 2 pages of coil springs on his screen and comes to the same conclusion that we've had from the beginning. The dealer's deal in part numbers. The only people who deal in binary paint codes is the factory. The dealers don't have access to that info.

Well, since I'm hardheaded as they come, I didn't give up. I called 1-800-GO-TOYOTA and talked w/ a Customer Service rep. The lady I got said "Sure, I can get that info for you. Now what color is your Tundra?" She thought I was talking about VEHICLE Color even though I specifically said COIL SPRING at least 4 times in our conversation. Well, turns out they don't have that information either, but TRD would have it.

So, of course I called TRD at 1-800-688-5912 and asked the same question and got quite a shocking response. The guy on the other end said they don't make Coil Springs and they don't have ANYTHING to do w/ the TRD packages on the trucks. Now isn't that funny, Toyota calls it a TRD package and TRD doesn't have anything to do with it. Isn't that called "Fraud" and covered in Business 101 class? Anyway, they couldn't help at all since it was a Toyota Part and NOT a TRD part.

Back to 1-800-GO TOYOTA... I got the information for the plant in Princeton, IN that makes the Tundras and called them at 1-812-387-2000 and asked to speak with an Engineer that would have technical info on Tundra Front Suspensions. No dice. I was told THREE TIMES "I'm sorry sir, but the engineers are all out on the production line and cannot take a call at this time." This lady was persistant, but I was MORE persistant and she eventually transferred me to Public Relations since she refused to provide me with an office phone number or email address of one of the Engineers that could help me.

The Public Relations lady was very nice and cordial (as you would imagine) and took all my info down including phone number and email address and promised that someone would contact me about my question concerning the availability of a reference chart for the binary color coding on Tundra front coil springs.

from 10/11/2004

I was at my in-laws this weekend, and my father-in-law has a '00 tundra Access Cab 4WD NON-TRD. His coils are Red/Yellow and Purple/Yellow just like the Tundra 2wd TRD coils. Hmmmmm. I guess this could explain the possibility that the same coils are used in 2WD and 4WD applications and therefore the cross-references when looking them up by numbers.

-andy

The Tundra TRD Coils are DEFINITELY PROGRESSIVE

posted by RTDawgs on 10/18/2004:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by off-road.com
    Inspired by Toyota’s successful desert racing program, the TRD Off-Road package is available on 4WD, PreRunner Xtracab and Double Cab models (excluding 4-cylinder 4ECT models). The package offers a rugged combination of front and rear gas shock absorbers, locking rear differential (V6 only), progressive-rate front coil springs, modified rear leaf springs, a larger stabilizer bar, P265/70 R16 BF Goodrich tires on five-spoke aluminum wheels, overfenders and TRD graphics...
    http://www.off-road.com/toyota/models/2003/tacoma/

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yotatech
    I know that the TRD coils are progressive and I've heard that they ride really stiff with spacers so thats why I was looking at the OME kits or maybe just a set of non-TRD coils with a linear spring rate...
    http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=28885

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trailerboats.com
    Our test unit was equipped with the TRD Off-Road Package that included progressive-rate springs, Bilstein high-pressure...
    http://www.trailerboats.com/site_pag...e_page_248.cfm

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cars.com
    An optional TRD (Toyota Racing Development) Off-Road Package features progressive-rate springs, Bilstein gas shocks...
    http://research.cars.com/go/crp/revi...p&aff=national

Quote:
    Originally Posted by toyota.com
    TRD Off-Road Package -- includes off-road-tuned suspension, Bilstein® shock absorbers, 16-in. 5-spoke aluminum alloy wheels with P265/70R16 BFGoodrich tires, color-keyed fender flares with integrated mudguards and fog lamps...
    "Off-Road-tuned" means what? Progressive rate coils? probably.
    -andy

from Steve Schaefer, 10/23/2004:

I installed one side and left the other the 4Runner coils with the spacers.

1. The coil alone, even with my tiny little 4cly engine gave me 1.5" of lift. So to say that the engines weight difference matters at all is completely wrong.

2. I used the Daystar studs which are 5cm long and I cut them down to 3.5cm long. Revteks are 3.5cn long.

3. I had to install the Revtek top out to get 2" of lift, even with my light little engine, just go to show you it's really not all that light.

4. The Tundra/Revtek combo is EXACTLY the same as the 4Runner Frankenstein setup. Softness wise, so ANdy and Myself certainly are on the same page.

5. With the Revtek top put and the OME shock, I droop too far. I;m firly certain this is why my axle cage snaped in moab, high tourque and over extended. I will liming strap the front and everything will be fine.

This is the best 3rd Gen front lift BAR NONE.

A. 4WD TRD Tundra Coils
    B. Revtek Top Out or Andy's Spacer
    C. Daystar studs cut down
    D. ARB/OME Heavy Duty front shocks N91S
    E. Limiting straps, only if you wheel it hard.

This is cheaper to put together than the Frankenstein setup.
    -andy

I have Tundra/OME with OME shocks and struts but lets be honest this was just a good excuse to post pics.&#160; For anyone considering this lift I highly recomend it.

Andy, not sure if you thought about this or not, what about the brand new tundras? or would those be too big for a 4runner
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Hey Bama, Whats wrong with these? Why do't I want them? How do they compare to the HD Bilsteins p/n BE5-2450?

1. OEM Toyota/Bilsteins - color yellow/blue , labeled with both the Toyota and Bilstein brand names - comes as part of the "TRD" or OFF ROAD option package. Toyota part # 4851009350 (front) & 4853109141 (rear). Toyota price about $150 new (set of 4), often about $125 on eBay (set of 4) YOU DO NOT WANT THESE.

I'm asking because I scored a set off E-bay really cheap. Please let me know. Thanks

they are the HD bilsteins and will be VERY STIFF!
    -andy

Quote Originally Posted by bamachem
    they are the HD bilsteins and will be VERY STIFF!
    Yep, ditto!
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast