Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Tundra TRD Coil Springs to LIFT a 4Runner or Tacoma

Re: Tundra TRD Coil Springs to LIFT a 4Runner or Tacoma

Bamachem, I got them in the other weekend and got the alignment done. Not knowing how many miles were on the tundra coils and shocks makes it hard to determine why it rides the way it does. But it does ride pretty well. Plush, not stiff, and there is no jarring. I will probably end up upgrading shocks and throwing on another top-out spacer to get more lift. IIRC, you ran two top-outs per coil? What was the end result with that setup? A lot of people recommend staying away from the dual top-outs spacer set up. Thanks for your help!

two were really too much. stick w/ one.

glad to hear that you're doing OK w/ the yellow bilsteins.
    -andy

You know, this is probably common knowledge to most but if you disconnect the swaybar at the endlinks, the stock jack (positioned upsidedown) is more than capable of pushing the control arms low enough to insert the strut assemblies.

There's no need to disconnect the lower ball joints.
    1997 4Runner

Quote Originally Posted by Crazychopstick
    You know, this is probably common knowledge to most but if you disconnect the swaybar at the endlinks, the stock jack (positioned upsidedown) is more than capable of pushing the control arms low enough to insert the strut assemblies.

There's no need to disconnect the lower ball joints.

also know this, you should be loosening the upper a arm bolt before you push down on it (actually the lower ones too, just try not to mis align them too much) and re-torqued when at ride height. this way you are only fighting the ball joint and not the bushings as well. this will increase the life of your bushings, and should probably make the ride a bit better as well.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I'd definately go with OME's, Tokicos or if you insist on Bilsteins, use the 5100 series instead of the HD's (yellow/blue).
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

I just purchased a 1998 SR5 4x4 - stock everything, I want to put 275/75-16 meats underneath me but I really don't want to go with a suspension or body lift right now, has anyone used the 99 Highlander springs/coils in their 3rd Gen(other than 99 & 00)? From what I understand the 99 Highlander springs are 1" taller than the stock 98 springs...? I thought this would be a decent alternative to other lift mods and would allow me to keep a stock ride/comfort and would be a basic bolt on upgrade over my present setup.
    98 SR5 V6 T4R 4x4

Navigator

the 99 springs will be a direct bolt on to your 98.. but if your going to spend that much money anyway, what are your reasons for not wanting a lift? the other options as mentioned in this thread are just as easy of a bolt on upgrade.

also, what tires are you looking at that come in a 275/75/16? most tires jump from 265 (31-32") to 285 (33")
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

My local tire place told me I can fit the Bridgestone-dueler-revo-275/75/16 on my stock rims - I thought they would be ok. Would these tires adversly effect my ride?
    <br>
    I found a wrecked 99 Highlander at a salvage yard near me and was considering trying to get them at a low price, I really don't plan on doing any major off-roading - I would just like a minimal lift and some meatier tires - the fact that the Highlander springs bolt on is a big plus and would give me enough lift for slightly larger than stock tires is ideal.
    98 SR5 V6 T4R 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Dice Man
    My local tire place told me I can fit the Bridgestone-dueler-revo-275/75/16 on my stock rims - I thought they would be ok. Would these tires adversly effect my ride?
    <br>
    I found a wrecked 99 Highlander at a salvage yard near me and was considering trying to get them at a low price, I really don't plan on doing any major off-roading - I would just like a minimal lift and some meatier tires - the fact that the Highlander springs bolt on is a big plus and would give me enough lift for slightly larger than stock tires is ideal.
    I don't suggest the used spring route because it's hard to tell how much they've sagged over time. Then if you're looking at new 99 4runner springs, then you might as well get the OME springs. I would highly suggest the OME 881/906 combo I went with if you basically want the stock ride with a little more height for bigger tires. Click on my signature and see if that's the type of height your looking for.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by austintaco
    I know this thread is a bit old, but I posted on here when I did this to my Tacoma. Its been 2 years and all is good, but I am putting on an ARB bumper as we speak and I have a set of 255/85 coopers ready to go after that. I am thinking that the ARB is going to weigh down the front and the Coopers are going to rub. After looking around at Steve(sonoran Steel)'s site, I noticed that he is now using the adjustable Bilsteins with the Tundra coils? I bought some of my parts for my lift from Steve, so I like his stuff, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel. Has anyone had any luck buying just his adjustable bilsteins? I read somewhere else that they were made to order to his specs?
    Secondly, the double cab Tundras have a slightly longer coil. I am also thinking of going this route, but I have not read about anyone using the longer coils from the pre 07 tundras. If I missed this on here, I apologize.
    I was thinking of doing the same thing... tundra coil w/ 5100 Bilsteins.. did you do it? Anyone else have some info on this set-up. I've got to get rid of my revtek lift but I want to keep at least 3inches of lift.
    1st owner 2004 4x4 ext cab trd SR5 Tacoma. 7/21/11 miles=63000+. Dealer intalled leather. Revtek spacer lift. Daystar 1&quot; bodymount lift. All pro wheel spacers. ARB snorkle &amp; bumper. Custom rear bumper(AKA DA TANK). 285 75 r16(33.2inch) treadwright gaurddogs. Deckplat ISR Alarm MODS. Looking to do the Tundra swap soon as the revtek is stiff and compress my coils. I&#39;ll get some pics up soon!!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast