Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tundra TRD Coil Springs to LIFT a 4Runner or Tacoma

Re: Tundra TRD Coil Springs to LIFT a 4Runner or Tacoma

I'm looking to buy some LC coils for the rear of my 3rd Gen 4runner but I don't know which ones to get. I would like to get 3.5 to 4.5 inches of lift. Can you guys post some info like year, color codes, front or rear coils, and most helpful Part Numbers please. Is is true that I should get 2 lefts or 2 rights so they are the same lenghth? This seems to be a confusing subject since 3gens and 2nd gens use lc coils.

How much lift does the '04 Toyota Tundra TRD 4WD coils give for a 3rd gen with a stock bumper?
    Desert Dune Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185W SSR-G l 3.0L TDI<br />&quot;DRIVE YOUR DREAMS&quot;

I just posted my writeup over on YT about doing the swap on my 03 tacoma doublecab. I can repost it or link it here, but I didn't want to link over to Yotatech without moderator approval.

Anyway, I used the red/blue Tundra TRD shocks and the TRD tundra coils. In the rear, I used 3" springs from All pro with Bistein 5125's. So far, it rocks. Way better than my stock stuff, and with one spacer up front, I achieved 2 7/8 lift up front, and 3.75" in the rear, but I think my old springs had drooped a bit. After a few days, my lift is at 2.75 up front and about 3.5" in the rear. I can post the pics if anybody is interested.

Here's the write up:
    It all started here after first reading Andy's post about doing the tundra coil swap on his 4runner. I was late to the game so I had alot of reading to do between here and TTORA, and then it was off to hunt down all of the parts. I would like to thank the following members, shops, suppliers, and people for their contributions to the project:

Jacques aka Gumbo of trdparts4u.com. I bought the coils and shocks from him through the classifieds on here and he was available for some quick knowledge when needed. Definitely a good source for parts and info and a cool dude.

Steve of Sonoran Steel fame supplied the diff drop, brake lines, spacers, and e brake bracket. This guy knows what he is talking about and if you use one of his products you will immediately see the engineering that went into it. Diff drops get crapped on by the boards, but you should see one of his in place and installed.
    All Pro supplied the 3" springs and they were on sale for $289! If it had not been for the sale, I would have been doing the AAL and shackle dance, but these springs rock.

Shox.com had the Bilsteins for $75 each and thanks to Steve at Sonoran, I ordered the right ones!

Cameron and Glenn of Krawltex, Krawltex.com, here in Austin got the lift put on even though they are both mainly jeep guys. If you live in the area, you should stop by their shop just to see some of the projects. I happened to see them outside when I was out running and we set up a date to put on the lift.
    First things first:
    Before

After

Cameron of Krawltex has worked on more than a few Toyotas, but when I mentioned the Tundra swap, he was eager to see what I was talking about. He knows his stuff. While I was messing with putting in bushings in the rear leafsprings, he had the coils off and on the bench.

Here is a pic of the front with the coil/strut off

This is where the fun starts. From reading thread after thread about the swap or even doing a spacer lift, it never seemed like compressing the coil was that big of a deal. Well, it is. Especially on the progressive rate springs. We tried the air gun and a manual spring compressor, but you couldn't get the teeth into the narrowly spaced coils enough to get them to compress, and the wider spaced coils wouldn't compress the coil enough at the top. We finally got them done with a wall mounted compressor, but this is an fyi to anyone doing a swap like this. When putting the OEM stuff on the Tundra coil, Cam had to find the sweet spot to get it to compress. Here is a pic of where it worked best;

After getting the skid plates off, we got the diff spacers in and put the Tundra coils/struts in with the OEM top plate and one spacer from Sonoran Steel. On to the rear.
    The rear is pretty straightforward. I ordered the extended brake lines and E brake bracket from Steve. Here are a few pics:

Before the lift, I measured 35.5 inches from ground to bottom of fender in the front and 35.75 in the rear. It looks like my old springs were wearing after 40K since most people report more of a difference from front to rear. Pics:
    front:

rear:

Immediately after the front was at 38 3/8, just 1/8" under 3"

and the rear was at....39.5"...3.75" gain!

damn, I thought I had a picture..oh well...

Its already started to settle. The front is now just over 2.75" of lift and the rear is down about an 1/8" as well. I had it aligned at Firestone with my lifetime alignment, and it came back within specs. The tow was out on both sides, but that was it.
    As for the ride, I love it. It is an improvement over my old stuff. For the record, my truck is not a TRD. It has the locker, and it came with progressive coils, but the shocks are just the black tokico's. I have not tried it offroad, but just over bumps and potholes it feels better.

If anyone has any questions, ask away. I didn't feel comfortable doing this lift on my own, so I am glad Krawltex was able to put this together and they let me help out and watch and learn. Great experience for me.

Final pic...at home...peeking out of the carport:

is there any other online store that sells just the extended top mount studs other than wheeler's?

thanks.
    Desert Dune Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185W SSR-G l 3.0L TDI<br />&quot;DRIVE YOUR DREAMS&quot;

Quote Originally Posted by RoySharif
    is there any other online store that sells just the extended top mount studs other than wheeler's?

thanks.
    I thought Sonoran Steel was carrying them too, worth an email anyway.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Jamie,

Thanks. But last time I asked, Steve said they don't ship to the Philippines. Also, in Steve's site the FAQ says the parts that I need are not sold separately.

How is the stud length measured? Is it just the threaded length EXCLUDING the splined portion?
    For comparison, the stock studs have a threaded length of about 0.70 inch and a total length of about 1.125 inch (INCLUDING the conical tip and the splined portion).

Thanks. Appreciate any help you can extend.

Quote Originally Posted by RoySharif
    How is the stud length measured? Is it just the threaded length EXCLUDING the splined portion?
    For comparison, the stock studs have a threaded length of about 0.70 inch and a total length of about 1.125 inch (INCLUDING the conical tip and the splined portion).

Thanks. Appreciate any help you can extend.
    I believe the stud has several measurements, but the most common 2 they give are thread size and overall length (total length from tip to base).

For instance on a wheel stud you might see something as detailed as this:
    Thread - M12x1.25
    Overall length - 70mm
    Thread length - 51mm
    Spline diameter - 12mm
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

2004 Toyota Tundra TRD 4WD Front Coil: 48131-AF090 - right - Blue + Yellow goes on the passenger side
    2004 Toyota Tundra TRD 4WD Front Coil: 48131-AF100 - left - Yellow + Yellow goes on driver side

the part #s for these dont seem to be correct. when i gave a dealership the #s they said they were tundra springs but not trd springs. they said that the part #s for trd stuff is usually a little different. i didnt know there was a part # for the shocks so im not sure about those but any help clarifing this will be awesome.
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

Quote Originally Posted by 20005spd
    2004 Toyota Tundra TRD 4WD Front Coil: 48131-AF090 - right - Blue + Yellow goes on the passenger side
    2004 Toyota Tundra TRD 4WD Front Coil: 48131-AF100 - left - Yellow + Yellow goes on driver side

the part #s for these dont seem to be correct. when i gave a dealership the #s they said they were tundra springs but not trd springs. they said that the part #s for trd stuff is usually a little different. i didnt know there was a part # for the shocks so im not sure about those but any help clarifing this will be awesome.
    Yep, those are the right part numbers.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast