Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Breaking down and getting a Moto Droid

Re: Breaking down and getting a Moto Droid

Im kinda contemplating getting it, I have a free upgrade too.

My issues are:
    -I have never used one of these super techy phones at all and probably will have "fun" learning it.
    -I prefer simplicity, to me its just a phone
    -The unlimited net service is like 30 bucks extra a month, I already pay 50! My brother told me (blackberry guy) that the unlimited net is the only way to go since you will most likely go over the limited one.
    -I aint carefull with phones too much. I drop, lose, get wet, etc. Simpler the phone better they hold up.

But man, I really would like the net it would be nice to be able to screw around while im slow at work and it would be nice having the ability to look stuff up/what have you.

Sooo torn..
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    Im kinda contemplating getting it, I have a free upgrade too.

My issues are:
    -I have never used one of these super techy phones at all and probably will have "fun" learning it.
    Using phones like this is surprisingly intuitive. You'll be cruising around its features in a couple of hours, and after a week you're a pro. It's like learning any new phone, you have to figure out where the menus and functions you're looking for are.

-I prefer simplicity, to me its just a phone
    Well this isn't the phone for you This thing is basically a miniature laptop with built-in cell phone, it does EVERYTHING. For me, I like it because I'm all about figuring out all the features and using them to their potential. If you're a simplistic kind of guy, this is basically your anti-phone...

-The unlimited net service is like 30 bucks extra a month, I already pay 50! My brother told me (blackberry guy) that the unlimited net is the only way to go since you will most likely go over the limited one.
    There is no "limited" service for the Droid or other top-of-the-line smartphones with Verizon. Your only choice is the smartphone data plan, and yes it's $30/mo more. Of course with a bitchin' data plan you don't need as many minutes to talk because you can email and IM

If there was a limited option your brother would be right though, you can only take full advantage of this thing if it's 100% connected to the internet, it requires it for most of its amazing functionality.

There are 3G "media" phones with Verizon such as the enV touch that are capable of web browsing and their data plan is only about $15/mo. Yes you take a big hit in functionality, customization, and speed of browsing (and apps), but for simple stuff and amusing yourself when bored it could be a better "simple" choice...

-I aint carefull with phones too much. I drop, lose, get wet, etc. Simpler the phone better they hold up.
    Definitely get a protective cover I guess. There's not much you can do to protect a phone from getting wet though so you might as well invest in an insurance plan and keep the phone cheap. I'm pretty careful with my phones so I don't need to worry about this as much (although I did put on a screen protecter and Seidio case which rocks).

But man, I really would like the net it would be nice to be able to screw around while im slow at work and it would be nice having the ability to look stuff up/what have you.

Sooo torn..
    Well there are simpler phones out there that can surf the web (although they have some trouble with standard web sites). The Droid is a super-phone that has a lot of potential waiting to be tapped, and a gorgeous screen for surfing the web (like I said it's basically a mini-computer). Heck you might get one and find yourself using it's features more than you expected...

It's only minus is battery life, which I've found is basically a non-issue as long as you have chargers at your home and in your car. You'll need to charge it each night if you surf the web or use a lot of it's features like bluetooth and wifi. The data plan is more expensive for it than a 3G media phone though, and the insurance is about twice as expensive too (I didn't get it).
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

I came up with a nice option:

I find a regular phone I like and I buy a netbook. I rather a real computer anyways, plus Im sure I would damage the droid to the point where they wouldnt replace it.

I once broke one of those motorola construction grade phones, apparently dropping it into cement doesnt count under warranty lol..
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123