Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: '73 Volkswagen Squareback

Re: '73 Volkswagen Squareback

ill grab some tomorrow when i can get a chance to get out there.

i really dont mind buying the boards, since they are soldered and sealed and easy to use, mount, etc. they are also pretty cheap.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I like the LED retrofit. Nice work!

eventually, the 4Runner will get it too. ive been trying to figure out a way to do the taillights without ripping them open, but ive run out of ideas.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I thought about converting my taillights too but if and when the money ever becomes available I will just buy those 01-02 lights aftermarket lights that already have the LEDs in them.

here is my update, the led project is on hold for the time being, but i'm getting stuff done on the wiring under the dash now.

looking back at the fuse box, it was a complete mess. i organized it a bit better.

of the 10 circuits, 5 i have put hot from the battery, the other 5 will be IGN switched.

the battery section is fused 30 A, as is the IGN section. with all the LED's and such, it should be plenty for the draw even at max use (wipers, blowers, all lights, etc). the relays for the headlights and high beams are there, you should be able to tell what i did if you look closely at it.

there will be another fuse box under the rear seat for the EFI ECU, reverse lights, interior lights, and a few other circuits.

i will be cleaning up alot of the under side of the dash, it's a mess. goal is to have the wiring done by the end of the year. we will see how that goes. at least it is in the garage and i dont have to work in the rain.

the turn signal circuit still does not want to work on my desk, maybe the resistance of the long wires will allow it to work, we will see. i know i have it wired right, maybe my flasher is kaput, or my power supply cant crank out enough power (though i doubt that is the cause).

the wipers should wire super easy, most of that wiring is staying, along with the blower.

work continues as long as it rains. more updates to come!
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 08-25-2013 at 05:00 PM.

^FWIW on my last VW build we ended up going to the HD Flasher instead b/c the new wiring has less resistance that the factory german stuff. Grabbed a length and measured the new against the old yet? *This should go without saying, but have you checked the relay's wired correctly and you didn't reverse two of the wires on accident? Basically, with a '73 you're dealing with all the weird crap they were also using in the Super Beetle.

it is an electronic flasher, not a thermal, so it really shouldnt matter about the resistance, the only thing is with 12" leads versus 12 foot leads maybe that is the problem. i know the circuit is wired correctly (actually cant mess this one up too bad...)

up early today so i can finish up the fuse box today. and i think get the dash wiring all finished.

Today I got up early (or at least earlier than I have been!) and went to work on it.

First, I tackled the wipers and blower motor, finished up the loose ends in the wiring, and completed the hazard/turn circuit (sans flasher).

"old" fuse box out, sorting all the wires, etc.:

tucked the fuse box up there, but the wires are still a bit of a mess at this point:

came out pretty clean. I am strongly considering under dash panels of ABS to finish off the wiring and interior, maybe another day... this is still before I cleaned up all of the wires.

here it is all cleaned up with just a few little things left to do:

I then ran my wires under the sill to the rear of the vehicle, these included the brake lights, parking lights, the gen and oil senders, among others. I also ran 4 wires for future projects.

Reinstalled the sill:

and connected some of the wires and mostly finished off the voltage regulator.

one issue I have is the large (10mm or 3/8") spade terminals on the v.reg. where can I find these? the one or two I had are long gone now (long story, but they were not salvageable in the least), any ideas where I can get them? I've looked around a bit but no luck so far.

so the dash is 98% done. need to attach the grounds and find my lights for the inst panel, speedo, and clock. the brake warning light might get wired up too.

under the rear seat, I still have to wire the EFI and reverse lights, as well as the coil. after that, the wiring is done for the time being. I will be doing full tests on all the circuits individually for shorts, and then test for functionality (do the wipers work, do the turn signals work, do the wipers come on when you hit the brakes, etc)

after that is bleeding brakes, replacing fuel lines, and changing the oil. the shifter needs work as well, and I will be asking questions as I find them.

Thanks for reading as always, and hopefully someone can help me out with that electrical connector!
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 08-25-2013 at 04:59 PM.

I am officially declaring the wiring finished!!!

there are a few things that remain, like wiring a stereo, finding some new bulbs for the gauges, and installing a working flasher.

here is the fuse block and relays under the rear seat:

after this, i put the heater muffler back into place, and finally installed it correctly (it was not when i removed it nearly a year ago.)

to come: fuel lines, bleeding brakes, and tons of loose ends to tie up. i have alot of parts in the mail, should be here next week just in time for me to go back to school and have zero free time!
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 08-25-2013 at 04:57 PM.

Sean, how's the Squareback coming along?

Quote Originally Posted by strykersd
    Very nice! My uncle has had one of these sitting in his yard up in Salinas for almost a dozen years, I've often times thought about taking it off of his hands...
    I'm picking it up Sunday

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast