Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need Some Car Buying Advise | Update: Scammer Revenge

Re: Need Some Car Buying Advise

I found this forum last night:

http://www.scambaits.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3

There is some great reading on there, especially this one (long but fantastic):

http://www.scambaits.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63455
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

So, I sent "her" an email saying that I wanted to see pictures of the frame and engine before proceding with the ebay transaction. Here was her reply:

Hi again,

I'm a flight attendant at American Airlines and because I'm away most of the time I will not be able to deal in person. Before leaving I had pre-arranged the deal with Ebay so my presence is not necessary. The car is in their possession ready to be delivered. Ebay will handle this transaction for me. The car is insured in case of damage and it takes 7 days to be delivered at your door. It will come with all the necessary paperwork (clear title, bill of sale, user's manual, insurance etc). You will receive all the original documents and keys with the truck. I signed all the paperwork and the clear title is ready to be transferred to the new owner.

If you are interested to buy my car, please send me your full name, shipping address and phone number so I can register the transaction with Ebay. Ebay will reply you with more details and information about this transaction
    Still no requested pictures. Her grammar is considerably better than the first email, although still not the greatest. This makes me think I'm dealing with a different person now.

She also mentioned working for American Airlines. This is great! I'm a bit of an aviation nerd, so I might be able to play around with this. AA has no hubs, and AFAIK, no crew base in the DC area. United does, but not AA.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

It comes with insurance? Cool.

still sounds fishy to me. i dont think ebay does that. i would contact them, never give any of your info to this person, only deal with ebay, and make sure it really is ebay and not some person named ebay.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Sean, I think it's beyond "is this legit or not?" - now it's time to have some cheap fun and waste a scammer's time

Give her the following info
    - Name: D. B. Cooper (my favorite alias when I'm at an airport)

- Address:
    1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
    Washington, DC 20500
    -or- the main FBI headquarters which are at
    935 Pennsylvania Ave, NW
    Washington, DC 20535

- Pick a random phone number from the Payphone Project - it lists which pay phones accept incoming calls
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Great idea Keith! I'll do that.

An email I just sent:

Thanks! That's awesome that you work at American! Long ago, I was a baggage handler in DFW. Do you work from the crew base at IAD? How do you like being a flight attendant on the new Boeing 787 that AA has ordered? They are marvelous aircraft!

Anyways, back to the 4Runner. I'm very interested. How does this ebay transaction work? Do you have a form I need to fill out, or do I just send you my name and contact info?

Thanks
    I was never a baggage handler at DFW (a AA hub), and while AA does have the Boeing 787 on order, none are in service yet. We'll see if she knows that.

I think I'm going to give up on trying to get some frame pics for now (I don't want them to get tired of me asking), but I'm going to draw out this form fill out process.

This is kinda fun....I just wish I was better at it.

you should say next time she flies to [wherever] that you two should "meet up"
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

i can see this is gonna get good.

/grabs popcorn.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

subscribed

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast