Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Some Car Buying Advise | Update: Scammer Revenge

Re: Need Some Car Buying Advise

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter
    Would be fun to make this backfire on them...sorta like that computer for sale scam a few years ago.
    the Powerbook Prank?
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

deff a scam dan, sorry.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

The first email set off all kinds of alarms when I read it. Not only is her english terrible, the grammatical mistakes and the words she's using really sounds like a scammer.

The ebay thing rings a bell too.

It's a definite scam.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Its a scam, first email screams of it like Steve says.

Scam, scam, scam
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

She sounds like a dude. I remember reading something similar to this about eBay and buying cars. Was shipping part of the sale?

To be honest, I didn't really think much about the first email. The grammar was bad, but I figured maybe it was just a foreigner trying to sell a vehicle. It did make me a bit more cautious, but not to the point where I thought it was a scam. Second email gave it away.

Mike, I thought the writing style seemed more like a dude as well, but I gave her the benefit of the doubt. They did offer to ship it.

Oh, they just sent me a bunch more pics, but none of them were pictures I asked for. No frame or engine pics.

I guess the old saying, "If it's too good to be true, than it probably is" is true.

Thanks for the input guys.

Oh well, I guess the vehicle search continues.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Dead giveway is those people who post things like vin numbers too, specially when they trace back to another vehicle.

One time I found a lifted tundra for 7k and they sent me the vin-it checked out to be a 1989 pick up lol..
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Yeah, although the VIN number they gave me for this vehicle matched, unless they got the VIN off another 2000 4Runner SR5 4x4. The location they gave me matched what was on the carfax as well, although they could have just as easily read the carfax themselves.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

I still think you should do some reading on 419eater and string the scammer along just to waste their time - could be one less person they try to victimize. Create / use an alternate email address, they won&#39;t even notice.

So what is scambaiting? Well, put simply, you enter into a dialogue with scammers, simply to waste their time and resources. Whilst you are doing this, you will be helping to keep the scammers away from real potential victims and screwing around with the minds of deserving thieves.
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Keith, great idea. I was pondering the same thing today while I drove in circles at work.

They still haven't sent me pics of the frame or the engine, so maybe I'll keep bugging them about the frame pics. Or ask them to check the synthetic blinker fluid.

Any suggestions?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast