Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Outlander Sherpa II trailer...Dial-up beware!

Outlander Sherpa II trailer...Dial-up beware!

All,

I am now able to proceed with my trailer project. I have been 'chomping at the bit' to start and now my wife has given me the green light (following paying off her '04 Sequioa). Mind you, she has always given me a green light to proceed with the various projects that I have had in the past ...I dare not venture into the 'do-it-yourself' realm as some of you have admirably done, rather, my skill set lies in the realm of dentistry, and I realized early on that it's easier for me to deal with millimeters in the mouth rather than inches and square feet in the garage.

Anyway, I had a chance to look at the many offerings on various forums, and I want to congratulate and thank all of you for your contributions. There is a wide variety of trailers here that range from the elegant to utilitarian. Nonetheless, all have their strengths and weaknesses. My needs required a more 'modular' approach to a trailer. I felt that an RV or a dedicated camping trailer would only be a 'one dimensional' solution for my needs and wants. I intend to use this trailer throughout the year depending upon the season. It will be used for the following: 1) going into the woods and haul split logs for the winter. 2) have the ability to drag various big game from the field to my freezer (following processing of course). 3) have the ability to load up my ZTR or future ATV. 4) take the family camping in the great outdoors. 5) serve as a part of the TEOTWAWKI solution and help get my family out of the suburban jungle to the sticks...So, given all of these factors, I have decided to go with a custom built trailer by Outlander trailers. I have been in touch with Robert Shepard for over a year now, and we have bounced around various design ideas. My trailer will be a form of this type of trailer called the Sherpa II. The width will be a little wider since the modern ATVs require about 50" across.

I just returned from Sheridan, Arkansas to see firsthand the Outlander trailer operation (Rober Sheperd). I got a chance to spend about 2.5 hours discussing the trailer options available. Let me say that his knowledge, attention to detail, and insight are all exceptional. It was well worth the trip!

I purchased 3 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo in size LT265/75/r16 and mounted them onto my split spoke wheels that I had in the garage. Tire shop had a first generation Revo laying around and let me have it for $100 if I bought two of the second generation ones...turned out to cost $150 per tire...

The issue currently that I am wrestling with is what kind of tent system to purchase. I need to have a changing / privacy room off of the tent for my wife to approve...So, I was wondering if there are any other options available besides the Serengeti...

I have also seen the Eezi-awn Globetrotter system but I think that the room would be too small for this to work. The room 'below' would need to be able to fit a cot as well as a porta potty system.

Please feel free to add any and all insight! Thanks in advance!

Regards,

BWJ
    &quot;In premodern times, the courage of a leader often had to be physical. In the last 500 years it is more often moral. Moral courage is the ability to do what&#39;s right even when it is deeply unpopular, even dangerous. Courage is only found where there is the genuine possibility of loss -- loss of friends, reputation, status, power, possessions or, at the extremes, freedom or life.&quot;<br /><br />~ Mark Joseph

Re: Outlander Sherpa II trailer...Dial-up beware!

I have been pondering this issue today...What if I went with a Mombasa tent (Adventure II) and in lieu of an additional room, go with an Oztent RV-2 or an RV-3 with Deluxe peaked side panels? The ideal would be to snug the tent right up &#39;into&#39; the awning portion and then fabricate an custom wall that would drape over the trailer tent opening. The outer rain fly of the tent would drape over the the entire awning of the RV-2...Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I will call Oztent usa and get more information on this option...

Regards,

BWJ
    &quot;In premodern times, the courage of a leader often had to be physical. In the last 500 years it is more often moral. Moral courage is the ability to do what&#39;s right even when it is deeply unpopular, even dangerous. Courage is only found where there is the genuine possibility of loss -- loss of friends, reputation, status, power, possessions or, at the extremes, freedom or life.&quot;<br /><br />~ Mark Joseph

Saw this on expo the other day. Looks like a fun project. Is there a reason for the RRT? I know they are cool but they are very expensive and can ruin the budget for a project like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    Saw this on expo the other day. Looks like a fun project. Is there a reason for the RRT? I know they are cool but they are very expensive and can ruin the budget for a project like this.
    The Serengeti is about 3K total, while this 2nd option would be about half...Also, I'll have the ability to mix and match systems as the needs of the family grow...

Regards,

BWJ

Got off the phone with Robert yesterday and decided on the electrical system as well as the LED light system...**Disclaimer - I am NOT an electrical guy by any stretch of the imagination so my knowledge regarding these specific systems are limited in scope.** If you have any questions, I will kindly deflect any and all questions to the professional (Robert Shepherd / Outlander Trailers / 501-681-4573).

Electrical system:

1) Battery: Deka AGM 9A34 ~ This is a sealed absorbed glass mat battery.

2) Charger: Guest 2608A ~ This is a fully automatic marine charger for a single battery bank. It has a maintenance function that will keep the batteries charged and desulfated during storage.

3) Battery Seperator: Sure Power 1314 ~ This separator disconnects the trailer battery bank from the vehicle when the vehicle is not running. It also controls the charge from the alternator to the trailer battery bank.

4) Battery master switch: Guest or Perko ~ This will shut down the entire system while in storage to prevent accidental discharge.

5) Shore receptacle: Marinco ~ This all weather marine receptacle utilizes a standard 110VAC extension cord to power the battery charger.

6) 12VDC receptacles: SeaDog ~ Three receptacles protected by inline fuses.

* Electrical system will not be located in a tongue box but rather in the front cargo box *

Led Lighting

1) Two PM LED flood lights mounted on awning. Switched at distribution panel.

2) Three SolTek LED compartment lights. Switched individually at light and switched as a group at distribution panel.

3) One Sound Off Signal LED strip light mounted in roof top tent. Switched at light and switched at distribution panel.

4) One 12VDC receptacle pod mounted on floor of roof top tent. Pod contains three receptacles. Switched with tent light at distribution panel.

Slowly but surely, the dream is being realized!...

Regards,

BWJ

Now is the time for powder coating...The price for the Sherpa includes powder coating of the trailer as well as the cargo / fender boxes. The frame of the trailer will be PC&#39;d with a black hammertone finish with some gloss...

The cargo / fender boxes are presenting a different conundrum. I am looking at options regarding what color scheme to go with. The powder coating company that Robert uses has access to all the &#39;Tiger Drylac&#39; colors. Several options are currently posted. I really did like aggie&#39;s &#39;old&#39; trailer color scheme:

However, one of the drawbacks to the black color is that they get hotter during the day (Robert says approximately 20-25 degrees hotter) as compared to other color offerings...Therefore making the fridge work harder througout the day ~ Not good...
    Thus, I am contemplating other colors schemes. Initially I was thinking of a clear coat on raw metal:

My rationale for this is option is to avoid chipping from traveling gravel roads. I would eventually get all of the surfaces facing the front of the trailer coated with the Ameraguard coating...but I&#39;m not too sure about leaving the boxes as is...

Another option would be a straight silver &#39;ish&#39; PC color to hide the &#39;dings&#39; from fabrication...

Thus transforming this:

to this:

I have always been a guy that doesn&#39;t like to be be apart of the masses. Yeah, I have a quirky side to me. That&#39;s always the way that I have been ~ somewhat of a &#39;gadget guy&#39; ...Anyways, the quirky side of me wants to consider a more unique PC vein / hammered / antique color for the boxes...

I must admit that the copper vein is growing on me. The awning as well as the tent cover will be earth tones...I figure one option is to go with the copper vein and use a tan type of lettering similar to Aggie&#39;s old trailer...
    Here is a sample of the copper vein finish on a truck...Closest pic I could find.

Don&#39;t know as of yet...Still thinking...Off to find someone with mad photoshop skills...More later!

Regards,

BWJ

Cool thread.

I vote for using the silver vein PC on the framing and PC the boxes to match the tow vehicle. Maybe even use black PC on the bumper, fenders, and major structural frame parts underneath for a total of 3 colors.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

I am not sure if this copper vein look would look too trendy with the whole metallic &#39;earthy&#39; feel...Not feeling the copper vein look in the &#39;photochopped&#39; version...

another option I found was this copper vein in a matte finish that reminds me of wood almost...

*Update: got the first &#39;photochopped&#39; version back...Not feeling the wood look with the matted copper vein...

More photoshop versions to follow with superimposed texture and color...I will post up more of these as I get them.
    Back to the vein finishes. I am leaning toward getting the silver vein powder coating done. By the way, the frame will have a two layer coat of powder over a POR primer ~ that should keep the rust away for some time, and free us up to use this trailer as much as possible. Here are some samples of the silver vein finish from various distances...

As you continue to step away from the pattern, it seems to lighten up a bit. I think that this color will make the boxes &#39;pop&#39;.

Good problems to have that is for sure! Have a blessed day!
    Regards,
    BWJ

I like it.

If you don't mind me asking, how much is it to powdercoat the entire trailer?
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

My vote would be silver vein, but that copper vein is cool and would definately make a statement. I kind of dig it! My two rigs that would tow this are silver though, hence me likeing the silver vein.

Cool project and thanks for keeping us updated. I like living vicariously through others. Let me know when you need some kick ass tile work.

An od green vein would be pretty sweet!
    My signature

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast