Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Outlander Sherpa II trailer...Dial-up beware!

Re: Outlander Sherpa II trailer...Dial-up beware!

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter
    I like it.

If you don't mind me asking, how much is it to powdercoat the entire trailer?
    I don't know the price for just the powder coating...It's all rolled up into one price for the whole package...I would say give Robert a call.

Regards,

BWJ
    &quot;In premodern times, the courage of a leader often had to be physical. In the last 500 years it is more often moral. Moral courage is the ability to do what&#39;s right even when it is deeply unpopular, even dangerous. Courage is only found where there is the genuine possibility of loss -- loss of friends, reputation, status, power, possessions or, at the extremes, freedom or life.&quot;<br /><br />~ Mark Joseph

Got some of the other &#39;photochopped&#39; images back today. I&#39;m going to get some samples from the powder coater in a week or so. I have narrowed it down to either the metallic silver, dark metallic silver, silver vein, or black...

Here is a pic of wet black as compared to silver vein...

Again, my vision is to coat the &#39;fore&#39; surfaces with an Ameraguard coating that will protect those sides from road debris...:smiley_drive: Ameraguard is similar to that of Rhino and Line-X, but it is more UV resistant. Both Rhino and Line-X are Aromatic Urethanes and will eventually crack, peel and fade despite the addition of UV stabilizers, it is chemically impossible to prevent this from happening. However, the Ameraguard product is an Aliphatic Urethane and is said to be more chemically stable and will not crack, peel and fade under UV conditions as fast. I am not a chemist by any means, however, I can tell you that this stuff coated on my rockers and sliders look as good as the day it was first applied...

The journey continues...
    Regards,
    BWJ
    &quot;In premodern times, the courage of a leader often had to be physical. In the last 500 years it is more often moral. Moral courage is the ability to do what&#39;s right even when it is deeply unpopular, even dangerous. Courage is only found where there is the genuine possibility of loss -- loss of friends, reputation, status, power, possessions or, at the extremes, freedom or life.&quot;<br /><br />~ Mark Joseph

subscribed
    Kyle<br /><br /><br />2002 4Runner - Supercharged - 2.5&quot; OME Lift - ARB Air Locker - 33&quot; Nitto Terragrapplers - ARB Bull Bar - Warn 9.5xp - Light Force Lamps - Safari Snorkel - Nomad Skids - Dual Batteries - Tundra 199mm Brakes - APO Disc Brake Conversion -

Update...Fridge and Onboard water

Pulled the trigger on a freezer/ fridge today. It is the Engel 45 purchased at Cabelas. I had earned a pretty nice chunk of Cabelas cash from my business credit card (Doing my part to stimulate the economy as well as stamping out dental disease ) so &#39;cost&#39; was minimal to say the least :ylsmoke: I chose the Engel 45 over a Yamaha generator for now. Based on what I have read on the forums, Engel&#39;s reputation for quality, efficiency, and durability is exceptional. Easy choice in my book. Pretty good deal for working hard...Now gettin&#39; ready to play hard as well...

This will be housed in the front cargo area of the trailer box. Fridge will be mounted on a custom slide system.

Also getting the 15 gallon water tank with the 12 DC pump and faucet...Layout will be different than the picture above.

Onward...

Regards,

BWJ

My signature

Update...Tent options and ancillary equipment.

Got some more &#39;photochopped&#39; pics of what I want to attempt with the Mombasa Adventure II tent and the Oztent RV-3. I think that the RV-3 is a better option due to the width being 8 feet versus the RV-2 being 6&#39; 6". My vision of the setup would be to use the &#39;awning&#39; portion of the Oztent as a &#39;courtyard&#39; for the Mombasa ladder:

I would then get a custom fabricated wall that would enclose the wall that the tent to fit into.

Other possibilities include these tents from Cabelas.

My only concern here is that the vestibule many not be wide enough to serve as both points of the entry. Don&#39;t know as of yet what to do...Got some irons in the fire as too what to do next...Stay tuned.

Got back from Cabelas again and got some other &#39;stuff&#39;. My dear wife tells me that I go there to &#39;relax&#39;, Oh does she know me well...

Roll top table ~ Pretty &#39;heavy&#39; compared to the other options. I may decide to take this one back and go with the lighter option...

Cabelas shower shelter ~ Taking this one back...Took about an &#39;act&#39; of congress to get this up...Going with the Trekker Fold-A-Privy instead...

Pett toilet ~ Told my son that we were going to Cabelas to buy a TOILET...Haven&#39;t said that ever, he had a look of bewilderment to say the least ...

By the way, all you Engel experts, do you need one or two hinge locks for the fridge?

Progressing!

Regards,
    BWJ

Just found this system from the North Face. It is called the &#39;Docking Station&#39;. It consists of the 6 man common area which can then have several 4 man / 2 man &#39;rooms&#39; zipped to the 3 remaining panels...Pretty interesting to say the least...

2 person room attached...

4 person room attached along w/ a 2 person room...

Quick dimensions:

Packed weight ~ 19 lbs. 4 oz
    Floor dimension ~ 10 x 10 ft
    uses 5 DAC 17 aluminum poles
    Packed size ~ 12 x 29
    Price point is very competitive...

The awning area is reported 79" tall...I bet I could put my Fold-A-Privy in the common area for my wife, as well as, the folding picnic table if we had too.

Very interesting...I&#39;ll investigate this system further...

Regards,

BWJ

It has been quite a long time since I posted. I have been very busy with projects on my 4runner. I had the original 4 way flat vehicle connector converted to a 7 way round connector. In addition, I took my Armorology bumpers and got them sandblasted and coated with Ameraguard coating. The powder coating was taking a beating driving on gravel roads during hunting season, and the winter road salt was taking its toll on them. This bumper project was a PITA, however, looking at it now, it was worth it. Just had to keep my eye on the prize and NOT the process...

Back from the Sandblaster...

Ameraguard being sprayed on the front...

Ameraguard is on...

Meanwhile, the build has begun on my Sherpa II. I now have pics of MY trailer versus others (Thanks again to 2Bcamping!). Here are some preliminary pics...I did go with a 14 gauge treadplate floor so that I would be able to load firewood / ZTR mower / ATV when needed...

Robert will seal the floor seams as well...

Yes, that is a Max coupler that you see...

Stay tuned...Tool mounts are next...Axe / Shovel / Hi-lift jack...

Regards,

BWJ

Powder coating color: I have decided to powder coat the boxes Anodized Silver. Rationale for the this color choice would be to minimize the heat build up of the boxes during the day.

Robert did give the me the option of adding additional vents to the boxes if the color was going to be darker, but that would then add additional problems regarding the seal.

Tool mounts: I did not like the tool mounts on the Baja Rack due to COG issues, and it being a pain accessing these implements.

Instead, Robert and I are working on some &#39;custom&#39; tool mounts on the Sherpa II. I bought a Hi-lift Baja Rack mount, as well as a Fiskars shovel and axe mount. I will use these on the Sherpa.

Here are the preliminary photos of the mounts that are going on. Caveat: One issue was placement of these tool mounts. The mounting locations available on this trailer is not too abundant so we had to be creative. Robert came up with a solution that I think will be great.

** Please disregard the location of the shovel / axe mount on the last pic. This option was not going to work because of the size of the Mombasa trailer tent.**

More pics later...

Regards,

BWJ

Got some pics of the trailer today. Rims are my OEM wheels that came with the 4runner. Tires are Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2 (265/75r16).

Rear tire carrier to follow...

Galley options

Considering the galley option in the passenger side galley box. I will not be getting a Partner stove since I got a Coleman at a screaming good price...

More pics to follow...

Regards,

BWJ

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast