Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Outlander Sherpa II trailer...Dial-up beware!

Here she is...

Here are the pics that I have been able to get. I must say that this process has been 3 years in the making, and it has been worth every minute of it. Big props to all of the fine craftsmen that took part in the build. I could not have done this by myself...Robert Shepherd was GREAT to work with. I have called this man for 3 years bouncing ideas off of him, and this dream is finally realized. I am sure that his shop phone is finally getting a rest. Currently, I am getting my trailer and rig ready to participate in the ORCC / Bass Pro Shops event in early September. Sorry for the driveway pics, I have taken the Sherpa out twice now and it has been AWESOME...

Looks like a need an ExPo sticker...By the way, if a trailer and it's cargo is less than 2,000 lbs total, it does NOT need to be registered in the state of KS!

Closer view of the fender boxes

I had all of the front surfaces of the main and fender boxes coated with the Ameraguard coating. Dan Cusumano (Ameraguard of Lee's Summit) did a PHENOMENAL job with the coating. I removed the fuel can holders and implements (Jack, shovel, axe) but other than that He taped it all off. It is a great exercise to see true pros 'do their thing'...Thanks Dan!

More pics to come!

Regards,

BWJ
    &quot;In premodern times, the courage of a leader often had to be physical. In the last 500 years it is more often moral. Moral courage is the ability to do what&#39;s right even when it is deeply unpopular, even dangerous. Courage is only found where there is the genuine possibility of loss -- loss of friends, reputation, status, power, possessions or, at the extremes, freedom or life.&quot;<br /><br />~ Mark Joseph

Engel / Electrical system / Faucet

Got the transit bag for the Engel 45 installed. Fridge is on a custom tray fabbed up by Robert. If you ask me, it&#39;s about a perfect fit for front compartment...

The Engel is locked into place with a quick release pin. Even the small details are addressed...

The great thing about the location is that with the awning deployed with the screen room, I&#39;m cooking in total comfort... I&#39;m still trying to figure out a system for the galley box...That is the fun part of it isn&#39;t it?...

The other side of the front compartment houses the eletrical system. Eventually, my Honda EU1000iA will fit there perfectly. Don&#39;t need a tray for that, just some d-rings to tie it down. The battery will run my CPAP machine for about 18 hrs if need be with the Engel shut off...So it looks like I will be needing the Honda pretty soon...or else the entire campsite will suffer from my snoring...

The Faucet location was somewhat of an issue as to where to place it. We finally decided to go with the front of the box. Robert fabbed up a custom aluminum box cover for it. Here it is coated with Ameraguard...It is removable with two wing nuts.

More pics to follow...

Regards,

BWJ
    &quot;In premodern times, the courage of a leader often had to be physical. In the last 500 years it is more often moral. Moral courage is the ability to do what&#39;s right even when it is deeply unpopular, even dangerous. Courage is only found where there is the genuine possibility of loss -- loss of friends, reputation, status, power, possessions or, at the extremes, freedom or life.&quot;<br /><br />~ Mark Joseph

Re: Outlander Sherpa II trailer...Dial-up beware!

Wow that turned out really nice. Snap some pics with the tent up.

looks great! ive been following this over on expo too!

I'm still trying to figure out a system for the galley box...That is the fun part of it isn't it?...
    me too, each time i go camping it gets better, but im still a long way from feeling like its good. maybe ill start a thread here.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

The rear compartment was configured with a 15 gallon water tank. We had decided to have the fill valve on the fridge side. Got a brass cap to plug the valve while in transit...

Rear compartment:

I bought an truck bed mat at Tractor Supply and cut it to fit the back. That stuff was tough to cut, thank goodness that I had some straight edged shears to make fitting easy. As you can see there is plenty of storage available.

I currently have a PETT toilet / Trekker Fold-a-privy / 2 lawn chairs / Cabela&#39;s large folding table / Plano Sportsman trunk with camping gear / Rubbermaid Action packer (dry food storage) / 60 ft of RV drinking water hose...As you can see, there is plenty of room after all the gear is in...

Fender boxes:

The driver side fender box &#39;under&#39; the tent is used for storage for other ancillary equipment. I&#39;ve got my Mombasa awning screen room / REI Alcove / Mombasa rain fly rods / Custom trailer wheel lock...More on the lock later

The galley box is currently &#39;stuffed&#39; with my Coleman stove / GSI Outdoors pinnacle base camper set / GSI Outdoors Infinity 4 person set / Century 2 piece safety post and propane hose / collapsible strainer / 2 BBQ grill lighters...This system has been MONEY. So far I have cooked some good chow and I am looking for a dutch oven as well...

I am still looking for galley options...as it sits, it works well, HOWEVER, well...you guys know...IT NEVER ENDS!

More pics later!

Regards,

BWJ

Custom Wheel lock...

Finally, the Sherpa II wheel will be &#39;locked&#39; using a custom wheel lock from Truck Trailer and Hitch of Kansas City. They were the ones that helped me out with the brake controller installation and wiring. If you ever need anything for your trailer, this is the place to go in Kanas City. Ask for a gentleman named &#39;RC&#39;. This guy knows trailers like no one else.

Anyway, I considered several different kind of wheel locks. The selection ranged from heavy chains &#39;laced&#39; throughout the trailer to a variety of wheel locks.

When I asked &#39;RC&#39; about wheel lock options for the Sherpa II, he immediately showed me this one. It is his custom design and I give him big props for the ingenuity of it. Simple yet effective...

It is made of heavy gauge steel. It consists of a sleeve that rests above the spring of the trailer and pops out the wheel spoke. &#39;RC&#39; said that the &#39;traditional&#39; chains and wheel locks are vulnerable to cordless sawzalls where as this one would be &#39;less&#39; prone to sawing due to the proximity of lock, and the damage that would ensue cutting it off...I know that no system is fool proof, however, if they want it that bad, it is going to take quite a bit of effort to get this thing off compared to the other locks.

Here is a close up of the lock fitting over the spring...

I&#39;m thinking this would be a PITA to saw off, perhaps this would be enough to encourage them to go on to the next trailer...

Here is the pic of the lock on the other side of the wheel. We had to use an additional D-ring to prevent the hockey puck lock from moving too much. Remember, this lock is made for small trailer wheels, not 16" Toyota rims...

Final pic of the lock on. Pretty hard to notice this lock from far away. I figure with a Max-coupler removed with a hitch pin hole locked, and this wheel lock on. If the stinkin&#39; thieves overcome all of these obstacles, they can have this trailer.

More field pics to come!

Regards,

BWJ

i bust a nut every time i see this thing!!!
    1994 fzj80, factory locked,snorkel,
    MT stinger front, swing down rear,, cb, 37" km2s<br />1993 xtra cab... SOLD

Power, power and more power...

All,

I am going to upgrade the electrical system over the winter...I have taken the trailer out 8 times this fall, and it is excellent. Still working out the 'kinks' of the Sherpa...

The changes to the trailer will be the following:

1) Bought a Yamaha EF2000iS from Cabela's for a screaming deal. Since I am a Cabelas club member, I got 4x points on my upgraded card in addition to activating two cash cards...When the smoke cleared from the deal, I ended up getting about $500 worth of Cabelas bucks from the purchase... Luv Cabelas...

2) I will have Robert put in another 55 ah battery and upgrade the charger / controller...Giving me a total of 110ah to work with...Wiring will also be upgraded and shored up. Also will replace the galley lights with some newer brighter LEDs...

3) My Baja rack is not being used, so I am going to have a solar option put in as well. The rack will house a 100watt panel and will charge my trailer batteries while traveling. Thus, there will be two 'plug in' receptacles on the trailer...One 110volt and another a solar...

3 ways for power when Spring rolls around...Vehicle alternator / Yamaha Generator / Solar...

Regards,

BWJ

amazing and well planned out work! Great job!
    02 Sport (Sporticus)<br />881 / 906 OME Combo, 275/65/16 Faulken High Country AT&#39;s, Syntheic Fluids,Brembo / Hawk Combo and two car seats for the future wheelers<br /><br />2010 Highlander SE- Wife&#39;s kid transporter.<br /><br />1998 Tacoma- 2.7 liters of fury...after that is pretty plain and stock

All,

Just got back from a backcountry adventure with my son . It was a blast! The upgrades to the Sherpa are top-notch. The galley lights are much brighter, and I really like the way the junction boxes / switches are set up. Here are some pics of our adventure...Look ma, no driveway pics!

The table and sink are what I consider 'money in the bank'. The table weighs in at a cool and wispy 15 pounds...Not bad for an all wood table. Still working on getting a custom made cover for this. If any of you know of a good seamstress in the KC area, I'm all ears...This is the first production table and sink from Outlander. Robert did a fine job as usual...Very pleased with the results...

Close up of the table mounting system...

Here are some images of the sink. Honestly, I did not think that the sink was going to be this nice! Currently using a 5 gallon bucket for the water...Used biodegradable soap and snuffed out the campfire with the water...

Notice the improvised towel 'rack' in the last pic. The sink is too nice to drill a towel rack into it. Besides, to make it match, I would have to go with a $25 'brushed nickel' towel rack...NO THANKS!

Anyway, enjoy! All I have to add onto my Sherpa now is miles and memories!

Regards,

BWJ

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast