Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear tire carrier build

Rear tire carrier build

OK, this is my goal:

so far I have the hinge which i got off rocklogic

im picking up a latch from grainger with a 2000 pound capacity.

i also got a bracket for my lic plate and i trying to get a hold of a DOT approved led lic plate lamp

i am looking to replicate Darren's carrier:

which basically will be 2 main bars and a stantion bracket.

SO.... anyone who's done this, any tips, tricks, ideas, etc?

I am open to all opinions. Right now my plan is to hinge it on the right, and center the tire on the bumper.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Re: Rear tire carrier build

hinge on the right and center the tire for sure.

you'll need some HDPE or rubber as a cushion to latch the main beam down onto the bumper against.

i used the license plate bracket and light from a 90/91 2nd gen that had the OEM tire carrier.

use 1/4" thick tube, and at least 2" of vertical height. i would recommend 2"x3"x1/4" carrier beam (oriented so that it's 2" wide and 3" tall) and a 2"x2"x1/4" riser. this will reduce flex considerably.

don't forget to brace the bumper along the inside back to the frame mounting bracket as well. 1/4" leftovers work fine for that.
    -andy

good info, thanks andy

my plan was to use 2x2 or 2x3 for the main bar, 2x2 for the "riser" as you called it then a 1x1 stantion.

thanks again.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Hinge on the left and put the tire as far to the left as possible. Andy.

My tool box is on the left side so that I can still see cars that are behind and to the right of me. I can't see out the left side of the rear window anyway so for the greatest visibility I put it on the left. The argument for putting the hinge on the right is if the carrier should open accidentally, you won't hit cars on your left. But my argument is you'll hit pedestrians on your right. Pick your poison.

Whatever you do, you want your weight as close to the hinge as possible...less stress on everything.

Design it so that when closed, the side opposite the hinge will carry 50% of the load. Less stress on the hinge that way. The latch side of mine needs to be lifted about an inch or two before it will clear and close.

Ideally, the latching mechanism will be designed so that the carrier is touching at three points to prevent vibration. This is hard to do unless you start building the latch upwards.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

i am thinking of devising a pin system as a "backup" to the hinge as well.

Thanks for the pointers man
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

My honest opinion...don't do it. I had the twin to Darren's bumper (made at the same time) and ran it for several years. Getting rid of it was one of the best "mods" I've done to my 4Runner. The Rockware design is pretty good but the one issue that kept popping up was carrier vibration.

So since you are going to do it anyway ( ) just watch the clearance between the bumper and any body panels. The vibration from my old Rockware induced by flexing or hitting washboard roads and potholes, caused a part of the bumper to rub a divot into the sides of my rear hatch.

Now my spare 315 rides tucked up in the stock spare location with a new crossmember (taller to take advantage of my 1.5" BL) made by Schaefer. Now it's tucked out of the way and no longer limits my rear visibility.

Lance<br />2001 4Runner Limited 4X4 (Sonoran Steel Stocker)<br />315/75R16 MT/Rs | MT Classic IIs | Dual ARBs/4.88s | (F) 5125/Tundra Coils (R) 5125/LC Coils | 4Crawler 1.5&quot; BL | Aisin Manual Hubs | Slee Sliders | Sonoran Steel Rear Bumper | TJM T-15 w/ Warn M8000

what was the rockware bumper made of? currently my bumper doesnt budge no matter how hard i hit it. it also clears the body panels very well.

its made out of 3/16ths too so im not too worried.

if you can get me the info on the rockware bumper id appreciate it.. thanks lance.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

my solution, when i finally get around to this someday, is to put a vertical riser off the rear bumper up the left side of the vehicle, much like the 90 and 91 spare tire carriers.

only worry is that it obstructs the taillight, and ive yet to come up with a solution, but maybe this is a starting point for you.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

[the frame is what gives - not the bumper]

the only way to fix that is to plate the frame and put some reinforcing struts (in an X pattern) where your current spare tire bracket is located.
    -andy

i was under the impression he was saying the bumper is what flexed ??

i have 2 new crossmembers on the back of my frame, i wonder if thats enough.

i guess i could remove one and make an X instead.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast