Thread: trailer tongue height

trailer tongue height

Is there a "rule of thumb" for trailer tongue height? I know the trailer is supposed to be level or slightly nose-up if level isn't possible. But, I'm looking for an average height from the ground to the center of the ball hitch so I can figure out how much drop I need.

(might be towing long distance again very soon )
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Re: trailer tongue height

I think it depends on the tow vehicle and the trailer and type. Some of the military trailer guys have have tall tongues. I think that if the tow vehicle can accommodate the height it is fine. I've seen many guys use adjustable pintles with good results.

Quote Originally Posted by corax
    Is there a "rule of thumb" for trailer tongue height? I know the trailer is supposed to be level or slightly nose-up if level isn't possible. But, I'm looking for an average height from the ground to the center of the ball hitch so I can figure out how much drop I need.
    (might be towing long distance again very soon )
    This is impossible to figure out without having the trailer and tow vehicle to measure. Every vehicle is different, for tow height. Back up vehicle to trailer, use the trailer jack to make the trailer Slightly higher than level. Measure from distance to ground. Now measure tow vehicle height, from ground to bottom, inside lip of receiver. The difference in height would be the drop height.
    Keep in mind your tow vehicle may go down some, from the tongue weight.
    That's why I told you to make the trailer height slightly higher than level.
    This isn't an exact science. You may find you need a different height with some trailer towing time, but it will get you close. I have 5 different drops, because of the height of different tow vehicles and trailers.
    My ford econoline has a low receiver. I have an inverted 8" drop to make it a 8 inch rise. MY FJ gets a 8" drop for the same trailer.

AZFJ Founding Memberwww.wikidfj.com&nbsp; under construction<br />http://wikidfj.blogspot.com/<br />Member build page<br />http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...other-gal.html

sounds like there is no rule of thumb for the majority of trailers. Guess I'll just have to measure what I have

A bit more searching turned up a few sites that recommended 18"-20" and the UHaul site which lists a maximum of 25" from the ground to the center of the ball.

I always thought the trailer was supposed to be level and loaded with a 60/40 weight distribution. Not sure if that's right or not, but it's kinda what I gathered.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Correct, it needs to be level but I think rule of thumb for smaller trailers is 10% of the weight on the trailer tongue (40% of my 3500 lb trailer would put the tongue weight at 1400 lbs ). It can also be slightly nose up, never nose down. If it's nose down, when you brake the forward momentum of the trailer will push the rear of the truck down which will have a lifting effect on the front end - like a see-saw where the rear axle is the fulcrum. Just wish I could move the ball further forward to reduce the leverage the trailer can exert (one of these days I'll build a new rear bumper with the receiver further forward)

I ended up measuring and got an 8" drop receiver which will put the ball at ~ 21" - close enough for me.