Thread: Towing Brake Controllers. Advice/Opinions.

Towing Brake Controllers. Advice/Opinions.

I'm going to toss this into the outfitting section since there is trailer stuff in here, it seems like a reasonable place for it.

I'm looking for a brake controller for my Tacoma. I've got a heavy dual axle trailer to pull my 4runner with... I am already well aware of all the cautions and consequences of towing such a heavy load behind my Tacoma, so we can skip over that. What I am looking for is some advice opinions and pro/cons on a trailer brake controller for my trailer.

I prefer simplicity, but don't want bottom of the barrel crap. I need it to be quality. I would prefer something that doesn't have to be "leveled" at installation, and something easy to install, but I am willing to let these points go if it means not sacrificing quality.

Let's hear what you guys use/recommend.

Thanks!
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Re: Towing Brake Controllers. Advice/Opinions.

If I had to buy another one I would get the Primus IQ
    http://www.tekonsha.com/product/acce...mus%C2%AE%20IQ

In my truck Im running the Draw Tite Activator seems to work just fine.
    http://www.drawtite-hitches.com/prod...ontroller,5100

I would go and talk to your local RV and hitch/tow shop and see what they recommend

Old thread and not sure what you finally got Chris, but I run a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 porportional controller that I really like.

http://www.tekonsha.com/content/prod...435&part=90195

I know alot of the guys hauling 5th wheels and trailers really like them.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Oh, sure, you couldn't have posted that last night before I had ordered a brake controller!

Actually, that's the one I just ordered, so it's nice to know I made the right choice even if it's only for a little 1200 lbs camper.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

I have a tekonsha, I believe it is the prodigy, I'll check in the truck on my lunch break.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

If that's the one you got Steve, you'll love it no matter what size trailer you're pulling. I hate the ones that aren't porportional because they either don't give you enough braking on the highway or your tralier brakes lock up as you're coming to an intersection. It gets old to constantly be adjusting the gain up or down so I won't be buying another brake controller that doesn't have that feature.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD