Thread: Replacing lower control arm brackets

Replacing lower control arm brackets

Once again Bruce steps up to the plate graciously for me to cut off my old brackets and replace them with something more indestructable. Bruce..you are awesome man!

So here we go.

Here's the rear trailing arm hangars about four years ago

[img width=800 height=600]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/expatozzie/Carnage/Carnagephotos003.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=600]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/expatozzie/Carnage/Carnagephotos002.jpg[/img]

I have straighten them out several times but the metal was getting weak and it was over time to replace the.

So I bought some generic hangars from RuffStuff Specialties which are twice as thick. The stock hangars are pretty unique because they follow the contour of the frame and are also offset, so you may notice in pictures below that the new hangar does not look square but in fact it is.

Now I hadnt really looked at them since I bought them nearly two years ago but as soon as pulled them out of the box before heading off to Bruce's, I noticed one had bolt holes that didnt line up

Bruce said no problems, he would weld up one of the holes and redrill.

Onto the project

1. Place blocks under front wheels
    2. Loosen wheel nuts
    3. Jack vehicle and secure on stands and remove wheels
    4. Use straps to secure axle

5. Take numerous measurements to locate cntre of retaining bolt then remove trailing arm from hangar.

6. Like Bruce says - measure a million times, cut once.

7. Let the cutting begin...plasma cutter makes things easy

8. The old and the new

Mark<br />04 4Runner SE, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 35&quot; BFG&#39;s, ARB lockers frnt and rear, 4.56 Gears, SW Sliders &amp; Bullbar, Smittybilt 10000lb winch, custom susp, 1.5&quot; 4Crawler BL, Kurt Trailing Arms, Cobra 75WXST CB radio, 4ft Firestick, Yaesu FT-7800 2m/70cm Ham Radio, Sat. Radio.

Re: Replacing lower control arm brackets

9. Lining up to see where to cut the frame. (note the frame is curved so just welding it flat would have not been a good option so Bruce decided to cut into the frame which effectively allowed the hangar to sit inside the frame and make it a lot stronger)

10. Grind off the old welds

11. The frame cut

12. When it came to welding the wind was challenge so Bruce had to wrap a tarp around himself

Mark<br />04 4Runner SE, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 35&quot; BFG&#39;s, ARB lockers frnt and rear, 4.56 Gears, SW Sliders &amp; Bullbar, Smittybilt 10000lb winch, custom susp, 1.5&quot; 4Crawler BL, Kurt Trailing Arms, Cobra 75WXST CB radio, 4ft Firestick, Yaesu FT-7800 2m/70cm Ham Radio, Sat. Radio.

13. Welded in

Bruce spent a lot of time building up the area at the leading edge of the hangar so that nothing would catch when sliding across rocks.

14. Next was the other side which required taking the gas tank out (I removed the skid at home prior)

It was hard work getting ot the plumbing - good luck anyone without a BL

Unclip the carbon canaster near the spare wheel

There are two clips on pins that need to be removed before lowering the tank

Some pipes to be disconnected - beware of gas loss

Fuel inlet

Loosening the fuel tank straps

Freedom

Welding work - not easy upside down and under a vehicle

More to come when painted and polished LOL

Poor soldier. He battled bravely!

Final pix

Thanks again Bruce!

looks great, good work guys
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Nice work both of you. Looks pretty stout.
    Lance<br />2001 4Runner Limited 4X4 (Sonoran Steel Stocker)<br />315/75R16 MT/Rs | MT Classic IIs | Dual ARBs/4.88s | (F) 5125/Tundra Coils (R) 5125/LC Coils | 4Crawler 1.5&quot; BL | Aisin Manual Hubs | Slee Sliders | Sonoran Steel Rear Bumper | TJM T-15 w/ Warn M8000

yeah those came out great! looks like what should have come from the factory

Nice Mark.
    Alex<br /><br />2005 4Runner V6 Limited<br />Custom LT 5.5&quot;, 35&quot;, 4.56, ARB locker<br />Custom ARB + CBI bumpers, Snorkel<br />Warn 9.5xp, Custom Roof Rack, Hella HIDs<br /><br />2001 4Runner V6 Limited<br />3.5&quot; lift, 33&quot;<br />Hella 4000s<br />Custom ARB + CBI bumpers, Snorkel - coming<br /><br />2009 AE Expedition Trailer<br />35&quot;