Thread: Alternator Questions

Alternator Questions

Hey folks.
    Couple quick questions about the charging system on my Tacoma, wondering if y'all can shed some knowledge for me..

Recently this past week when I go to start my truck every morning it has taken longer to crank then normal and the cranking seems really slugish. Sounds like the battery is going, I don't think it's holding a charge well. Since I've had the truck for a year I've probably killed this vatozone special about 10 times (fell asleep with the radio on...) and I'm suprised it's made it this long. Here's where I'm questioning a few things.
    Last week I tried flushing the power steering system and kind of failed, long story short I think a bit of the old fluid spilt on the alternator. I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem but figured it's worth mentioning, as that happened about a week before my long slow cranking issue started..
    Now I know I need to stick a multi meter across the battery terminals to test if the alternator is putting out full juice. But do you think a bit of ATF could kill the alternator and make it not charge my battery all the way? Last night I unplugged all the accesorys to make sure there was no weird drain and nothing changed, this morning was actually the worst since. Also I'm not getting the charge light (brake/ battery) so that's why i've been leaning more towards the battery just not holding a charge..
    Today I picked up a new diehard paltinum that I'll swap out tomorrow, but I just wanted to get some thoughts and opinions.

Thanks fellas
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Re: Alternator Questions

I'd say its 50 50 battery is the culprit, at least you're getting a new one regardless its for the best. Go out and check your power steering pump, touch the cap and see how much vibration you feel. Its possible your pump is drawing more than normal if its starting to go, seems somewhat related to your failed drain unless you were referring to the alternator spill. as for that, power steering fluid can damage an alternator, it just comes to how much was spilled and how deep it went. Ride it out for a few days on the new battery and check the pump
    <br /><br />
    883/LC with OME/PC shocks ∙ 2&quot; body lift ∙ ARB bull bar
    ∙ KC/IPF aux lighting ∙ 33&quot; BFG all terrains ∙ custom rocker panels ∙ vortex cherrybomb ∙ couple other things ∙

sounds like a battery going if you killed it 10+ times. its been cold in the morning this last week too. my tiburon did the same thing. it was a weak battery then over about a month it really crapped the bed to the point it was barly throwing the motor over enough to start

IIRC, most of the auto parts chains will do a free battery/charging system test . . . helps eliminate guessing
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Scuba, replace it-period. If anything its not holding a proper charge anymore from all the abuse.

Walmart everstart extreme (yellow ones) seem like a nice deal for the cash..
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    Scuba, replace it-period. If anything its not holding a proper charge anymore from all the abuse.

Walmart everstart extreme (yellow ones) seem like a nice deal for the cash..
    2 Steps ahead :

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba

Today I picked up a new diehard paltinum that I&#39;ll swap out tomorrow

Thanks fellas
    880 CCA of Diehard AGM goodness

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...tive+Batteries

I&#39;ll spend tomorrow making it fit..

UPDATE: I tested the alternator tonight (engine revved to 2500 RPM, all accessories/ lights off) I got 14.6 at the terminals. So I suppose the alternator is fine and my battery is taking a poo.

99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

I've got the same battery and have been happy with it. I had the really big one in my old truck and same story. That truck had a drain somewhere, plus lights and a winch and all was well.

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba
    UPDATE: I tested the alternator tonight (engine revved to 2500 RPM, all accessories/ lights off) I got 14.6 at the terminals. So I suppose the alternator is fine and my battery is taking a poo.
    Yep, alternator is charging fine, battery was toast.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Battery is in. Started up and didn't skip a beat.

Thanks for the help guys

Told ya..
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX