Thread: bulb covers

bulb covers

Well I've got a 2000 4Runner, and the lights behind the HVAC controls burnt out. So I went to AutoZone and bought new bulbs. Good as new right? Well, no. The green bulb covers over the old lights were partially melted/stuck to the burnt out bulb, and ripped as I tried to remove them.

So now all my lights are green, except for those. They now are just your normal off white/yellow color.

Has anyone had luck finding bulb covers in the past? I don't have the time, or money to replace all my lights with LEDs (although I would like to).

Thanks

-Cody-

Re: bulb covers

I think the part you're going to want is called a "cap"
    http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

Try that..
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Thanks for the link. I'll give 'em a shout, and see if they can confirm.

Figure out the shipping rate from San Jose, CA to your place and I might be able to grab a few out of our spares and just throw them into a small box or padded manilla envelope for you. I always have bulbs out of the dashes Jeff and the guys chuck into the trash.

That sounds good to me. Shipping in a padded envelope should be in the $2 range via USPS. If you feel confident you can get the green covers off the #74 bulbs without them tearing, you could just toss 'em in a normal envelope if you want.

If you have any the ones with green covers let me know. I only need three of them. I have a few bucks in my PayPal I can send your way.

Give me a few days as I'm out of town at the moment and I'll let you know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by fenrisx
    .. If you feel confident you can get the green covers off the #74 bulbs without them tearing, you could just toss 'em in a normal envelope if you want.
    Well, that was a fun attempt, I think you jinxed me, all but one were melted, and the last one tore at the very last moment. D-Oh!!

Sorry, but at least it wasn't for naught..I walked away with a few spare switches for customer project stuff.

Oh well! Thanks anyways.

I believe I&#39;ve found the silicon covers on the McMaster-Carr website catalog. From what I&#39;ve found through google the #74 bulb is a "T1-3/4".

McMaster-Carr: T1-3/4 Bulb Cover
    It&#39;s just under $6 for a pack of 10, although I&#39;m not sure how much shipping will be. You can choose amber, blue, red, green, or yellow. I&#39;m not sure if the green will match the OEM green 100% (I&#39;m sure the OEM has faded over the years), but I&#39;ll find out soon enough. I&#39;m going to order them tomorrow.

Update 04/27/2010:
    The covers should be arriving in a few hours. Total shipped cost for a pack of 10 was $10.44. I won&#39;t get a chance to put them in until Thursday. I&#39;ll keep you posted.

Covers are on. I still need to figure out how to get the bulb out for the switch that operates the rear hatch window.. but I can do that later.

They do not match up perfectly. These are more green, whereas the old ones have more of a yellow/green. The new bulb covers match better with the green buttons on the CD player though.

I took a picture with my cell phone, but it made it look like there were a lot of dim spots, and overall made it look a lot more dim than it was. So I'll take a better picture later.