Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Software?

Software?

Is there any particular software that you guys/gals would recommend for renaming sets of photos on a computer? Any software you recommend for transferring pictures off a camera to a computer?

Right now I just use the Microsoft software that is already on XP. Basically, with that software, I have to click each picture I want to transfer, or hit 'select all'. This is fine if I do all the pictures at once, or a few at a time, but we leave all the pictures we take on the SD card.. so there's tons of pictures. Sometimes there's like 50-60 I want to transfer, and it sucks having to click so many.

Also, it names them as a series Name1-xxx. I'd like a program that could rename them using the stores attributes of the images, I.E. the date the picture was taken.

Recommendations?

Thanks
    -Cody-

Re: Software?

What kind of camera do you have? I have a Nikon and I'm using their Nikon software (Nikon Transfer utility) to download all of my photos in a single click including throwing them into subfolders, rename filenames to whatever I want - how I want to do it etc including auto incrementing in weird fashions.

Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

I wouldn't mess with any software. Does the camera use an SD card? Most laptops have an SD card reader built in, or get one for cheap. I just stick the card in there, open the card using windows explorer and just drag/drop the files like an standard external hard drive. Not when you drag and drop, it wont delete them. So you'll have to cut and paste the pictures or just delete them after you've copied using drag/drop. I always preferred to just copy/paste then go back and delete once I'm sure all my pictures found their proper home. Hope this made sense
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Good Times
    What kind of camera do you have? I have a Nikon and I'm using their Nikon software (Nikon Transfer utility) to download all of my photos in a single click including throwing them into subfolders, rename filenames to whatever I want - how I want to do it etc including auto incrementing in weird fashions.
    I have a Canon SD940IS. I actually though about using some Canon software.. I just chose not to because I did that with my old Kodak, and didn't really like the software. At this point I've got over 1,000 pictures transferred to the computer that I'd like to renamed, and put into subfolders. I'll still check out Canon's software when I get home though.

Quote Originally Posted by L33T35T Tacoma
    I wouldn't mess with any software. Does the camera use an SD card? Most laptops have an SD card reader built in, or get one for cheap. I just stick the card in there, open the card using windows explorer and just drag/drop the files like an standard external hard drive. Not when you drag and drop, it wont delete them. So you'll have to cut and paste the pictures or just delete them after you've copied using drag/drop. I always preferred to just copy/paste then go back and delete once I'm sure all my pictures found their proper home. Hope this made sense
    Well my laptop is pretty old, and doesn't have a card reader. However, I can do the same thing by hooking the camera up to the PC.. just right-click on the camera in 'My Computer' and choose 'explore.' I actually forgot about that, but still doesn't solve my naming problem.

Thanks for the replies guys.

As far as naming goes. If you're good with DOS you could use the command promp. say all your cruise pictures are named "IMG_1234.jpg" you could type "rename IMG* cruise*" this would rename them all to cruise_1234. Just gotta be careful with it though.
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

You don't have to bother with a DOS command.

Rename a batch of photos all at once

As for software to download all of your pictures- don't bother. Just use windows explorer and an SD card reader.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

I'm thinking about trying to script something up in Python, but I don't think I quite know enough yet..

Quote Originally Posted by mastacox

As for software to download all of your pictures- don't bother. Just use windows explorer and an SD card reader.

That's awesome. I just went back and renamed the majority of my pictures in about 5 minutes.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by mastacox

Well, I just checked out the link above. That is pretty cool, but *most* of the time when I transfer pictures I have a name like that, and then the built in Windows app that transfers the pictures names them 001, 002, and so on. I wish there was something you could do like that, but include something like %D that could would pull the date from the exif and put in there too.

picasa?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast